PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should We Carry A 3rd QB?

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
A 3rd QB can now be active if both the other QB's are injured. This an extra active player. The NFL also has a provision for an extra OL being on the Active Game Roster.

For Cunningham heck yea. Don’t want to try and stash him on PS.

Rather stash one of the 765 ST only players.

Could Cunningham turn out to be Mike Bishop? Yes.

Could he turn out to be a mix between Kyler and Lamar? Maybe.

I’d like to find out

Yep Yes GIF by GEICO

Just two. IMO people are overreacting with how a preseason game went.
By not counting them against the active roster, the league apparently now has a position that it is reasonable to carry 3 QB's.

For Cunningham heck yea. Don’t want to try and stash him on PS.

Rather stash one of the 765 ST only players.

Could Cunningham turn out to be Mike Bishop? Yes.

Could he turn out to be a mix between Kyler and Lamar? Maybe.

I’d like to find out
We don't stash STO players. They are on the 53 and active in every game.

The open question is how to use the inactive roster, Practice Squad, and IR.

We don't stash STO players. They are on the 53 and active in every game.

The open question is how to use the inactive roster, Practice Squad, and IR.
I digress then.

I digress then.
not really.

It seems that the very reasonable trend is to carry 3 QB's to avoid the severe QB situations that we saw in 2022.

I still think IR him .... good way not to lose him.

cunningham is making the 53 whether we like it or not. its just not a pre-season game. he showed more potential than zappe and mac had ever showed in a pre-season game and that counts.. potential.. that too a running qb. will be lapped up by eagles or bears or ravens if he goes through waivers.

cunningham is making the 53 whether we like it or not. its just not a pre-season game. he showed more potential than zappe and mac had ever showed in a pre-season game and that counts.. potential.. that too a running qb. will be lapped up by eagles or bears or ravens if he goes through waivers.at
My caution is that Malik will have to show his ability against better than the little sisters of the poor lineup that he faced last evening. I admit
that I like what I've seen thus far.

My caution is that Malik will have to show his ability against better than the little sisters of the poor lineup that he faced last evening. I admit
that I like what I've seen thus far.
when he can do so much with an non existent line, then the potential with a decent line is much more. think of the amount of trick plays we can do lining up as a receiver / screen passer or a QB. its going to make pass rush so complicated for defenses. there is no way we are letting such a multifaceted guy leave. if he has a decent arm and can make 70% of NFL throws he just adds immense value to a team like us. our poor man's version of Christian "can do all" Mcaffrey

Absolutely keep a third QB

Some seasons the Pats gambled with 2 QBs and some seasons they had 3 QBs.

It depends on the situation and in this situation I would keep 3 QBs.

Just two. IMO people are overreacting with how a preseason game went.
Agreed, it's a bit of a slight overreaction.. But that's what happens when fans get excited about a dynamic athlete IMO speaking for myself I believe we should carry 3 QBs , last season showed us that With the hoyer situation. I don't think whomever gets put out there next game on the O line can play any worse than That last game. What the eye test showed me was that when you have a dynamic athlete behind center that takes pressure of any O line. We know Cunningham isn't starting any time soon.. however he's absolutely fun to watch.

Hell yes. And I was arguing for this as soon as they signed Cunningham.

Belichick kept 4 QB's in 2000 (Bledsoe, Friesz, Bishop and Brady) to avoid exposing rookie Brady to waivers (Bishop was QB3).

I'll say it again: if Malik continues to impress and seems to a legit dual-threat QB, he should be active as QB2 on game day with Zappe holding his clipboard as (emergency) QB3.

It makes sense to keep him, even if he is transitioning into a wr. I know some of you think that by looking good against 5th stringers who will be working at McDonald’s in 3 weeks he is the qb of the future, but let’s pump the breaks a bit on that. But it offers a good way to keep him around.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back