PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we be embarrassed w/ the Vinateri situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
A guy who has made the most clutch kick in history (Oakland 01), has 2 game winning FG's in the Super Bowl, is 33 (relatively young for his position),plays a position with relatively low injury risk, at most would only take up 2 1/2 % of the Salary Cap, a position we have seen cost teams playoff births and Super Bowls (05 Cowboys, Norwood), yet he was offered a contract with no guaranteed money and is now in a city which is telling him how much they want him and have the money to pay for him, and this could of easily been avoided.

Did the bandwagon just make a stop?

wagon.jpg

R_T26 said:
A guy who has made the most clutch kick in history (Oakland 01), has 2 game winning FG's in the Super Bowl, is 33 (relatively young for his position),plays a position with relatively low injury risk, at most would only take up 2 1/2 % of the Salary Cap, a position we have seen cost teams playoff births and Super Bowls (05 Cowboys, Norwood), yet he was offered a contract with no guaranteed money and is now in a city which is telling him how much they want him and have the money to pay for him, and this could of easily been avoided.

How do you know there was no guaranteed money? The Patriots do not disclose any contract negotiations!

According to Felger the 3 year deal at 2.5 mill a year included no guaranteed money.

pats1 said:
Did the bandwagon just make a stop?

wagon.jpg

Its ok to question some moves without being a bandwagoner.

If last year I said I dont think Beisel is a good replacement for Bruschi, would you call me a bandwagon.

Hey RTD2 if your not embarrased by all your off the wall posts then the answer is NO - WE have nothing to do with it...........

i don't know the details of the money, but I was under the impression that they were allowing him to test the market as a gesture of respect and thanks.

I root for a team.

Not the team's front office handling of offseason contract negotiations.

CrazyDave said:
i don't know the details of the money, but I was under the impression that they were allowing him to test the market as a gesture of respect and thanks.

Bingo, I read this week in the Globe that the Patriots basically have a shop around and get back to us deal with Vinateri, letting him go around and see what he can get, and the Pats will match it, They have already proven themselves to be right about not wanting to pay a kicker 3 mil a season. Longwell, a better than average kicker, got 2 mil a year, so Adam can look forward to about 2.5 mil or just about what the Pats were offering. That being said, i would be sick if he signed someplace else!!!!

FreeTedWilliams said:
Bingo, I read this week in the Globe that the Patriots basically have a shop around and get back to us deal with Vinateri, letting him go around and see what he can get, and the Pats will match it, They have already proven themselves to be right about not wanting to pay a kicker 3 mil a season. Longwell, a better than average kicker, got 2 mil a year, so Adam can look forward to about 2.5 mil or just about what the Pats were offering. That being said, i would be sick if he signed someplace else!!!!

We were told by Jonathan Kraft they would be players in free agency this year. We are the #1 or #2 revenue team in the NFL. We are atleast 18 mil under the cap. We have the highest ticket prices in the NFL. Value keeps getting thrown in our face but what if whats left on the market isn't worth it then what? We do what Minn. and Cleve. did this year and play the games while your 15 mil under the cap. As a season ticket holder I'm getting annoyed you can't keep low balling players it will catch up to you eventually. There will be a day and a time when things aren't going to be so good and demand for the product won't nearly be what it is now. Brady is coming into his prime yet we let weapons go so if we had to play a game today Branch and Bethel Johnson are the starting wide outs. BB & Pioli are only playing the game with the cards they are dealt with and I believe the Krafts are behind the money they don't like paying bonus money because that comes right out of their own pockets. If you remember they even hassled Brady during contract negotiations they are ball busters but it will eventually come back to haunt them and they will lose BB & Pioli.

Brarrell said:
We were told by Jonathan Kraft they would be players in free agency this year. We are the #1 or #2 revenue team in the NFL. We are atleast 18 mil under the cap. We have the highest ticket prices in the NFL. Value keeps getting thrown in our face but what if whats left on the market isn't worth it then what? We do what Minn. and Cleve. did this year and play the games while your 15 mil under the cap.
We won't be $15M under the cap. Are we ever ? Relax, it'll be OK.

Regarding Adam, he is the one who's choosing this route, the Patriots have nothing to be embarassed about. He's a kicker who's been offered, reportedly, $7.5M for 3 years. Poor, poor Adam.

Brarrell said:
We were told by Jonathan Kraft they would be players in free agency this year. We are the #1 or #2 revenue team in the NFL. We are atleast 18 mil under the cap. We have the highest ticket prices in the NFL. Value keeps getting thrown in our face but what if whats left on the market isn't worth it then what? We do what Minn. and Cleve. did this year and play the games while your 15 mil under the cap. As a season ticket holder I'm getting annoyed you can't keep low balling players it will catch up to you eventually. There will be a day and a time when things aren't going to be so good and demand for the product won't nearly be what it is now. Brady is coming into his prime yet we let weapons go so if we had to play a game today Branch and Bethel Johnson are the starting wide outs. BB & Pioli are only playing the game with the cards they are dealt with and I believe the Krafts are behind the money they don't like paying bonus money because that comes right out of their own pockets. If you remember they even hassled Brady during contract negotiations they are ball busters but it will eventually come back to haunt them and they will lose BB & Pioli.

Sounds like you should go root for Washington, or you would be happier if this team returned to the great successes they had prior to Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli. What an impatient unappreciative forgetful fan you are - I suppose you will be amongst the first to boo when they do poorly and right up there when they are winning.

Felger is an idiot if he actually believes that whatever offer the Pats made to Vinatieri didn't include a signing bonus. Purely from a cap standpoint, they would want some of the deal prorated.Now, it is quite possible that the Pats didn't offer to guarantee the whole contract, as they did the last time around. Adam is 33 years old, so you can't really be on the hook for a totally guaranteed deal.

Personally, I think Vinatieri is the one who should be embarrassed. He's been jerking the Pats around on contracts for the last four years. It was absurd that he forced them into the franchise tag last year, costing the team cap room that they could have used elsewhere.

I don't know what he's thinking. If he stays in New England, he's got an automatic broadcast career. If he leaves, he throws that all away. But, he seems determined to hold a gun to the Pats head.

BelichickFan said:
Regarding Adam, he is the one who's choosing this route, the Patriots have nothing to be embarassed about. He's a kicker who's been offered, reportedly, $7.5M for 3 years. Poor, poor Adam.

I've written about this earlier and this is exactly what I believe happened. The FO didn't want to tag him again and pay him $3m. So they offered him a contract which basically paid him the same as last year but they increased the length of the contract. AV thought he could get more but he miscalculated the market for kickers when Longwell signed at $2m/year. Adam is shopping himself around probably looking at a Patriot offer as his baseline and so far no one else has matched it.

His strategy may be to wait it out until other kickers have been signed leaving him as the only name brand kicker around for the two or three teams yet to sign one. If that happens, then he might get his bidding war and he hopes gets him a contract at more than the current Pats offer.

Last edited:
I have nothing to do with the decisions made by the Patriots FO, so why would I be embarrassed?

Brarrell said:
As a season ticket holder I'm getting annoyed you can't keep low balling players it will catch up to you eventually.

As a fan and a guy who posts a lot at this site, I'm surprised a season-ticket holder would be under the impression that the Patriots "lowball" their players. Given they have BY FAR the most players making 1 million+ dollars, I think that's a difficult argument to make.

Also, it's like FIVE DAYS into free agency. The Patriots are not one of the teams F-ing up right now. They're one of the few - along with Indy, Steelers, Philly (see a trend?) - being SMART about FA.

Relax.

Also, how in the world can an offer that would keep Adam the highest paid kicker in the league ever be considered a low ball offer? That's ridiculous.

Brarrell said:

Sh*t. When did this happen?

I know I haven't been paying attention, but I didn't know we had to play spring football now!

Hope Brady's been resting his elbow. :eek: :eek: :bricks:

Last edited:
RayClay said:
Sh*t. When did this happen?

I know I haven't been paying attention, but I didn't know we had to play spring football now!

Hope Brady's been resting his elbow.
LMAO, we'd have no placekicker either. We are screwed for this Sunday's game :eek:

R_T26 said:
According to Felger the 3 year deal at 2.5 mill a year included no guaranteed money.

Listening to Felger is like listening to Wrong Bogus. Both are out of the loop on what goes on with the Patriots unless you want to find out what ISN'T happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST