PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should Sudfeld be day 1 starter at TE?

Ironman44

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
So what are everyone's thoughts on this?

Why the hell not?

2 TE formation, yes it's a no brainer.

If they go 3 WR for whatever reason then no, Ballard still looks to be a good blocker so he might be best used as primarily a blocker until his knee is 100% ready to be a prominent receiver.

It all depends on matchups, formations and the like.

I think he'll split snaps with at least one other TE (including plenty of snaps where they both play), but I think he'll lead TEs in snaps until Gronk is healthy.

Why the hell not?

2 TE formation, yes it's a no brainer.

If they go 3 WR for whatever reason then no, Ballard still looks to be a good blocker so he might be best used as primarily a blocker until his knee is 100% ready to be a prominent receiver.

It all depends on matchups, formations and the like.

+12 to both :)

He's easily the best receiving threat out of the bunch, and obviously has a way higher ceiling than the three JAGs.

Let him start!

Will they even have a choice? Sudfeld seems to be 3rd on the depth chart right now, with the 2 above him injured. Add in the likelihood of 2-TE sets, and it's hard to see how he'd stay off the field.

I think he'll split snaps with at least one other TE (including plenty of snaps where they both play), but I think he'll lead TEs in snaps until Gronk is healthy.

I think this statement will be very true.

The more inline/blocking TE will likely be a combination of Ballard and Fells, with Sudfeld playing the move role.

I think it will be much like we've seen lately in the preseason games. Sudfeld will definitely get some nice looks.

As far as the health of the 2 TE's in "front" of him, Ballard may be brought along a bit cautiously for the first month or so, and Fells appears to be just fine as he returned to practice and didn't miss much time; but Sudfeld appears to be the TE that we currently have with the most actual downfield receiving upside.

So what are everyone's thoughts on this?

Considering the alternatives, if we decide to start with our 2 TE offense he should be the starter at the flex position, if we go with a 3 WR offense I would probably go with Ballard because he is a better in line TE in terms of blocking.

QBBrady
RBRidley
WR ZAmendola
WR XThompkins/Dobson
TE YBallard
TE FlexSudfield

QBBrady
RBRidley
WR ZAmendola
WR XDobson
WR YThompkins
TE YBallard

I would like to make note of the fact I am not ecstatic about the thought of starting Ballard, but given Fells health and my dislike for Hooman he appears to be the best option for an inline TE.

He's easily the best receiving threat out of the bunch, and obviously has a way higher ceiling than the three JAGs.

Let him start!

from what I know and have seen I agree. the only difference being he is a first year player. He cant help but struggle a little under a new offense. he blocked a lot at Nevada.

Ya why not Gronk will not be back for week 1, and in my oppion Sudfeld is not that bad. I also don't think the Bills pose to big of a threat to us, so it will be good to see how Sudfeld handles a real game

The real question isn't whether he should or should not start. The question that needs to be addressed is "who else do the Patriots have?"

Answer the latter and the former will be addressed easily, ith exceptions, of course, being made for a number of in-game variables: Injuries, match-ups, situations, etc.

Ya why not Gronk will not be back for week 1, and in my oppion Sudfeld is not that bad. I also don't think the Bills pose to big of a threat to us, so it will be good to see how Sudfeld handles a real game

I don't see why they hurry gronk back at all to be honest... they can beat the Bills with me playing TE and I'm 44.

Whatever favors a 60/40 ground game is who starts for me ...

I'm hoping Josh and Bill break this new machine in slowly.

I don't see why they hurry gronk back at all to be honest... they can beat the Bills with me playing TE and I'm 44.

I agree why rush when the first 3 games of the season are Buffalo,the Jets, and Tampa.

I think he starts. You want to be able to run but you score by being able to pass well. Right now Sudfeld is your #3 WR threat with only Amendola and KT ahead of him.

Dobson is close but given the choice right now I prefer Sudfeld on the field over him generally. Sudfeld is a match up nightmare as long as he holds on to the ball.

If you want to run the ball he is not the best TE for that but I am looking to pass first as that is how we establish our run.

Re: Re: Should Sudfeld be day 1 starter at TE?

Whatever favors a 60/40 ground game is who starts for me ...

I'm hoping Josh and Bill break this new machine in slowly.

Though I haven't seen it in preseason and his 225 bench at the combine didn't indicate it either, Sudfeld supposedly rated as a top blocking TE in college. I'm not sure what that translates to here but admittedly I like to talk (post) for the sake of talking (posting)...:D

Zach has earned the right to be a starter for the Patriots. Whether he will or not will be up to Belichick and the coaching staff.

I really can't say until I see the TE list on the 53. This isn't Gronk/Hernandez here.

I'm just hoping that sudfeld lasts long enough for gronk to get healthy.......it's not like he's been known to be mr durable

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back