PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Short Reiss article on Gaffney

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything posted on this, so I figured I'd share.This article also includes some notes on Fernando Bryant and the draft, but here was the money quote for me:

When Gaffney's contract expired after the 2007 season, he told his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, he was only interested in re-signing with the Patriots. Perhaps he would have been swayed had another club called with a megabucks offer, but it turns out Gaffney didn't even seriously listen to other suitors.

Glad to have him aboard. Now I just hope they can reach a deal to keep that Flying Elvis on his helmet long-term. :rocker:

It seems that the Pats front office have a pretty good working relationship with Rosenhaus given the number of clients he has on the team and the lack of contentiousness in negotiations (at least publicly)......

I haven't seen anything posted on this, so I figured I'd share.This article also includes some notes on Fernando Bryant and the draft, but here was the money quote for me:

Glad to have him aboard. Now I just hope they can reach a deal to keep that Flying Elvis on his helmet long-term. :rocker:

Quite a deal for the Pats. I have to think he could've gotten a lot more on the open market.

It's really a perfect fit for the Pats. Gaffney is a very solid #3, and in the case of injury to W***ker (I didn't want to type it out...losing him for any time would seem unimaginable now), he can perform as a backup slot receiver. The best part is, if and when Chad Jackson emerges into a star, we know Gaffney will still be able to make the most of his snap as a #4, and the price is right, too.

Last edited:
I love Gaffney. I always have since his days with the Gators (my college football team). He doesn't have incredible speed but he makes up for that by being a surgeon on the football field when it comes to route running and getting open. He also makes the biggest catches when we need him to (against the Colts in the AFCCG and against the Ravens this year).

Last edited:
"We were talking the whole time, and I was hoping for a long-term deal, but we ended up meeting in the middle," said Gaffney, who signed a one-year pact with a base salary of $700,000, a $500,000 signing bonus, and a $75,000 workout bonus.

Hmm... Interesting how "the middle" is perceived here as a 1 year. Looks to me like the Pats got what they wanted and not what Gaffney preffered.

Hmm... Interesting how "the middle" is perceived here as a 1 year. Looks to me like the Pats got what they wanted and not what Gaffney preffered.

Yeah, but how often does a guy get a $1.2M deal where $500K is guaranteed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft