PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shaun Ellis agrees to terms with Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) We need to remember that our OLB's often have their hand down on the defensive line (Moore, Ninkovich and Cunningham).

2) We seem locked into 5 ILBs: Mayo, Spikes, Guyton, Fletcher and White. These players have some flexibility to play outside and of course are used extensively on special teams.

3) We keep 15-16 front seven players; 15 if we can manage it.

CONCLUSION
A) We have 3 core OLB's.
B) We have 5 ILB's, including Fletcher who is our #4 OLB.
B) We have 7 open roster spots.

I'll say! How many positions do you think these 12 guys are battling for?

Brace
Cohen
Deaderick
Ellis
Haynesworth
Love
Pryor
Richard
Weston
Wilfork
Williams
Wright

Rexy sounds upset! LOL

Isn't offering vet minimum to a proud player who has spent his whole career with your team pretty much an invitation for him to sign with your biggest rival?

Love the signing. He's been a thorn on our side for the past decade and now he gets to help us. Obviously not the same player he once was but I imagine him playing an Anthony Pleasant type role.

Love this signing.

This is exactly the type of veteran player that BB has been very successful bringing in.
Ellis can be on the field in any situation and any scheme.

For the Jets fans revising history, he was their best DL last year, likley played more snaps than any one on the DL, started 15 games, and led the DL in sacks.

This is the classic 'we didnt want him anymore' excuse after he was the best guy they had at the position last year and they have added no one of consequence.

Love this signing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shaun Ellis, meet Anthony Pleasent. 20-30 plays a game. Leadership. Toughness and a few sacks here and there.

GREAT signing.

Yes, hopefully without Mikey Vick's "rape stand" and other paraphernalia. Seriously though -

1. How is the Jets' releasing him any different than the Pats releasing any of our "past-his-prime" vets? Ellis was offered the vet minimum and he declined. I've heard Mohamed Wilkerson was highly regarded in the draft and could replace Ellis.

2. This highlights how much Ty Warren may have dropped off - he is much younger and in his prime compared to Ellis, but we just let him walk away.

3. I hope Ellis has a few games left in him like he brought against us in the AFCDG. It looked like no one on our line could contain him.

The only thing it highlights is that Ty Warren wasn't as much of a pass rusher in comparison to Ellis and Haynesworth. But Warren was much better against the run than Ellis and on par with Haynesworth.

Considering how far apart the moves were made, one has to question if they are even related.

Must be interesting over on the jest board right now....very interesting...strange that jests only offered vet minimum here. Seems like he still has alot of gas in the tank....

Rex on Shaun Ellis: "The fact that he chose them.. there's no way I'm going to wish him well. There's no chance of that."

LOL

I love the signing.{pending the physical} It puts a lot of pressure on draft picks M. Wilkerson and Kenrick Ellis to not only learn the playbook and compete, but also be the saviors of the pass rush. Many consider those 2 raw as they come, considering the small time programs they come from. Getting rid of Jason Taylor and Shaun Ellis may be a huge mistake for them.

Haynseworth, Wilfork, Ellis and Wright. That is a lot of horsepower right there. I'm very excited about the additions and can't wait to see the finished product on the field. God, I'd hate to block that rhinocerous like wall for 60 minutes.

From what it appears from jets board and other observations, Ellis has a lot left in gas but has injury issues. That makes for a good rotation/depth for our D line. Can't wait for the season to start :rocker:

Last edited:
At the very least, just glad we don't have to face him again. If he can provide a solid pass rush off the bench even better.

1) We need to remember that our OLB's often have their hand down on the defensive line (Moore, Ninkovich and Cunningham).

Understood. I wasn't listing "defensive linemen," just guys who would typically play DE or NT in a 3-4 or DT in a 4-3. I count a whopping 12 of them, with only a handful of easy cuts.

Rexy sounds upset! LOL
RT @TheJetsStream: Rex on Shaun Ellis: "The fact that he chose them.. there's no way I'm going to wish him well. There's no chance of that."

Twitter

Memo to Rex: perhaps you should have convinced Tannenbaum to offer Ellis a better contract if you didn't want him to sign elsewhere.

So does this mean that after challenging all the other NFL teams to beat the Patriots, Ryan will now challenge all NFL free agents to not sign with the Pats?

Good Signing- Ellis will be sparked and have a good year-
was jets starter last season lead them on the D line in Sacks- pro bowler 2 years ago-- Knows the schemes has played all over the line- showed last playoff he could still be a Game changer!! knows the Jets inside out ! Whats not to like ? This Dline if all goes well could be Eons ahead in the pass Rushing Category compared to the last years edition

Last edited:
I love the signing.{pending the physical} It puts a lot of pressure on draft picks M. Wilkerson and Kenrick Ellis to not only learn the playbook and compete, but also be the saviors of the pass rush. Many consider those 2 raw as they come, considering the small time programs they come from. Getting rid of Jason Taylor and Shaun Ellis may be a huge mistake for them.

Haynseworth, Wilfork, Ellis and Wright. That is a lot of horsepower right there. I'm very excited about the additions and can't wait to see the finished product on the field. God, I'd hate to block that rhinocerous like wall for 60 minutes.

If that was the front 4, that would be an amazingly stout line to try and run against. The "weak link" there is Wright and he's no push-over at RDE..

BTW, Ellis plays DE in both the 3-4 AND the 4-3. Found that tidbit to be interesting.

I like this move; you can't have enough depth on the DL and Ellis will provide a strong veteran presence.

2) We seem locked into 5 ILBs: Mayo, Spikes, Guyton, Fletcher and White. These players have some flexibility to play outside and of course are used extensively on special teams.

3) We keep 15-16 front seven players; 15 if we can manage it.

CONCLUSION
A) We have 3 core OLB's.
B) We have 5 ILB's, including Fletcher who is our #4 OLB.
B) We have 7 open roster spots.

I just can't see that. A team with such a deep NT/DT staff in such a deep DL, is not going to line-up in 3 man fronts very often. In particular since our LB group isn't that great. I see 4, 5, even 6 man fronts. With perhaps over 90% of non goal line snaps taken at 4-3, 5-2, and 5-1 (w/ a S in the box perhaps). Mayo is on the field no matter what, if I'm right what would we be doing with 8 LB's - and more so 5 ILB's? The number of guys that will play OLB and DL could be pretty extreme like 7 to 9, but if cut them down to the dominant position that they play it'll be IMO:

9 DL & 7 LB for 16 minimum. If the roster has 17 - which I believe, then it'll be an extra DT or DE.

10 DL
4 OLB
3 ILB

with at least two, if not 3 of the LB's getting more action on special teams then vs the offense.

I know we needed the depth anyway but I hope this isn't an indication of some kind of concern over Haynesworth (injury?).

I was thinking the same thing. Breer had a couple of tweets on this:

".. Ellis adds nice Haynesworth insurance for Patriots, depth to the interior line. Real good move by NE."

" Ellis is an end in the 34, interior rusher ... That's how Haynesworth projects. Different guys, but 1 provides depth for other."

Hopefully it's more just two old guys needing to rotate, as opposed to an injury situation.

Must be interesting over on the jest board right now....very interesting...strange that jests only offered vet minimum here. Seems like he still has alot of gas in the tank....
Some people are overplaying the Jets not offering him more.

They're confident in Wilkerson, god knows they have their cap issues, they have their priorities, and making sure they retained him wasn't one of them. I don't agree with it since he was the only pass rush they got from their D-line and now they have to rely even more on secondary blitzes to get pressure, but these are moves/decisions teams make all the time.

Regardless of the Jets, this was a great move for New England. Couldn't have asked for a more perfect fit for someone to fill the veteran, situational down DE role. A perfect balance to all the young guys they rotate in and out, and also it can't hurt for Haynesworth to be around a true professional at his position who is all about the team he plays for. With Mike Wright, Haynesworth, and Ellis, they have plenty of pass rushing on the D-line to put next to Wilfork.

I could be way off base here, but his off season D-line changes indicate BB might be shifting his philosophy on defense. Getting rid of a consistent run stuffer like Ty Warren who's been here for years and replacing him with guys like Haynesworth and Ellis who are more about getting into the backfield and rushing the passer indicates that BB plans on moving away from his defenses that emphasize containment and discipline and more towards an attacking defense that won't give the QB so much time on 3rd down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore