PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shaun Ellis agrees to terms with Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we needed the depth anyway but I hope this isn't an indication of some kind of concern over Haynesworth (injury?).

Why do you say that? The Pats still need depth on the D-line. Adding Ellis doesn't change that. Deaderick hasn't proved himself to be better than anyone.

If Ellis makes the team, things are looking bad for Brace/Deaderick. I think Love's job is somewhat secure as one of the few pure nose tackles on the team.

Love this signing! Ellis absolutely DESTROYED us and our O-Line in that Divisional Game. 1 year deal, he has plenty left in the tank!

yep, not to mention with the depth we have, his legs will be even fresher come the end of the season

BB will probably use Ellis like Ted Washington. Just so many snaps per game to keep him fresh in a situational role.

Whats also nice is that Ellis has seen it all and should be a great mentor along with Wilfork for the younger NE D lineman. When Ellis's time is up, hopefully a young guy should be ready to step up.

I like it. We don't need him to do much, just take up some space and create lanes for the LB's. If he can put up number's similar to his past couple years it will be worth the signing. He doesn't need to be a stud.

This is a good move for you guys if its for depth purposes only. I'm not sure what your d-line looks like right now, but I wouldn't expect much if you want him to start a full season. As much as I like Ellis (one of my fav all time Jets), he was average at best last year, with his one incredible game obviously coming against you guys. He's just really getting up their in age, and doesn't have that edge speed that he used to possess.

A good depth signing nonetheless.

The jets fan must be dying right now.

With the signing of Shaun Ellis i see 2 things we get from this deal:

1. Adds more depth and vet exp to our dline. He seems to step it up in BIG games.

2. A guy who is gonna be more ticked off at one of our divisional rivals for showing no loyalty to him. You think bb had that in the back of his head at all with this signing? Prob not, but i am gonna think that :rocker: :rocker:

Oh also that forum one of you guys posted for the jets is really making me enjoy me coffee and this signing even more :singing:

I'm guessing the Jet fans have him waaaayy under the bus about now....

Just a hunch :D

Great acquisition. Picking up a proven DE who'll likely be able to play end in both the 3-4 or 4-3, rush the passer, add to the locker room, and KICK YOUR RIVAL IN THE NUTS at same time?? Gotta love it!!

I just read through that thread and it is absolutely hilarious. I loved it.

Actually some users over there are realistic and not as dumb as i thought. i wish i could see more of those fans on the jets side, it would be much better IMO.

Lets hope they don't turned around and sign Roth.

Very nice. I was hoping this would happen. He was a Pro Bowler as recently as 2009, which is a rare achievement for a 3-4 DE. I think the Jets will regret asking him to be the only team player in a gang full of divas. Dude probably felt taken advantage of. He was still quite good last season and into the playoffs, and he's been crazy durable. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a couple good years left in him.

Haynesworth-Wilfork-Ellis... that's three multiple Pro Bowlers in a three man front. And the Jets... they're obviously a worse roster than they were last year. On D, they've lost Coleman, Taylor, and now Ellis, and haven't picked up a single player who could be considered an upgrade over any of them. That's 3 of their 5 leading pass rushers, a third of their total sacks, and half of their forced fumbles from last year GONE. Sanchez will need to take a SIGNIFICANT step forward to make up the difference, and he's lost Edwards, Cotchery, and Woody on his side of the ball. Again, no upgrades over any of those guys.

It's been a fine Free Agency. I am most satisfied.:)

If Ellis makes the team, he will be invaluable for gameplanning against the Jets and Rexy..

yesssir!!!

More depth along D-line...what more can you ask. Love this move!

Depth. Leadership. Maturity. Veteran.

He might not be a Pro Bowl calibre player anymore, but he can definitely turn it on when it's needed (as evident by our playoff game against NY last year).

Good to have him in the rotation. Our DLine fell apart late last year with injuries.

Wilfork
Haynesworth
Shaun Ellis
Mark Anderson
Mike Wright
Cunningham
Eric Moore
Brace/Deaderick/Love/Pryor - the 4 youngsters battling it out for a back up spot

We should have a pretty good Dline this year, while being able to keep everyone fresh.

Last edited:
BAHAHAHAHA JETS FANS HE CHOSE THE SUPERIOR TEAM DON'T FEEL BAD:rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

Shaun Ellis spurns Jets, heads to New England

Patriots agreed to terms with DE Shaun Ellis, formerly of the Jets.
Offered the veteran's minimum by the Jets, it's unclear if Ellis' Patriots contract includes any guaranteed money. Ellis had clearly lost a step last season, but as evidenced by his monster playoff performance against the team he is now joining, he can still be a productive player. He's an excellent depth signing for what should be an improved Patriots' defensive line.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Aug 7, 10:33 AM

IT DOES MAKE me concerned that Albert must be very out of shape. No Matter... when Albert becomes conditioned watch the phuck out

LOL JETS FEEL IT

:singing::rofl::singing:

SOME 1 post the Jet thread link for LAUGHS!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore