PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shaugnessy: Sorry, the Pats will lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOWTIME15

No asterisks
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Sorry, the Patriots are going to lose to the Broncos - Sports - The Boston Globe

Don't have access to the article, but just from the headline I can tell it's a gem.

Edit: Here's my favorite part: "But we all know they are not that good. And they have no familiarity with road games in the playoffs. The 2013 Patriots were a pedestrian 4-4 on the road. They have not played a road playoff game in seven years"

The Broncos are going to beat the Patriots Sunday.

Sorry, that’s just the way I see it. I am not rooting for the Broncos. I am not into Satanic worship. Please do not kill my whole family. I am often wrong (remember the 2013 Red Sox, destined for last place?) and hopefully for New England fans, I will be wrong again.

The Patriots have proven folks wrong time and again. Overcoming doubters is the foundation of the Patriot franchise.

Doubting the Patriots this weekend is hardly a daring position. They are significant underdogs in Vegas. Most of the national TV panel guys will pick against New England. Some of the handicapping local car dealers will pick the Broncos. There might even be a footy-pajama fanboy or two with doubts about the Patriots’ ability to beat Peyton Manning.

MOD EDIT By Ian (shortening due to copyright):

Read More:
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...-are-goners/eyJW8UrsMsqGvPKByefi9N/story.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be more worried if he picked a win.

M'eh

he's entitled to his opinion, even if he's wrong

Hey Red Sox fans, bob George part 2 :D

Loved it when he doubted them, and let's see what is does to the pats. Bb needs to post this on the bulletin board!

I actually feel better about this game now.

T&R mentioned this article this morning, and immediately their schtick was, "Well of course Patriot fans are going to go crazy because he's picking against the Patriots."

No. Just no. If he had picked against the Patriots, backed it up with something more than "People are picking against them", and left it at that, only the most vocal homers would have a problem with it. But he didn't do that. He picked the Broncos, and with his SECOND LINE he goes on the defensive with "Sorry, that's just how I see it." He's writing in a way that makes HIM the story, rather than anything he's writing about.

This wasn't an article about the Broncos beating the Pats. It was an article about Shaugnessy being "brave" enough to stand up to the rabid and irrational New England fanbase.

Did he rank the loss?:p

There might even be a footy-pajama fanboy or two with doubts about the Patriots’ ability to beat Peyton Manning.
:rofl:

Well played Dan.

Unlike most people, I can appreciate the article for what it is. He's taking an angle and making it satirical.

If you want to get really upset you should read the article in the Denver Post today. I would post it but the board might explode.

EDIT: Oh, forgot mention. He had been right on about the march of the tomato cans.

why do people feel the need to link this garbage?:rolleyes:

Shaughnessy thinks he wrote his column so men and women like us would go berserk the week before the AFCC. What he really did was write this column so he could say "I told you so" if the Broncos win.

Shaughnessy thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. "See, if the Patriots win, I am happy. If the Broncos win, I am right. Aren't I wonderful?" No, Dan. You are a spineless provocateur.

Shaughnessy makes the case about why the Patriots will win the game but goes with the Vegas guys setting the line (dropped from 6.5 to 4.5 in three days as the smart money piles up on the Patriots).

He says nothing about the 8 or 9 starters that the Denver Broncos have lost to injuries that effectively places them in the same boat as the Patriots.

Shaughnessy sided with Charles Barkley that the fans (us) do not get how special this run of success is, which could not be further from the truth. Anybody that remembers Rod Rust, Victor Kiam, Bill Parcells walking out the week before the 1996 Super Bowl, Pete Carroll's 8-8 season, 2008, the friggin' Jets in the AFCC, etc., knows that we take nothing for granted.

Don't have access to the article...

I see this written here quite often regarding BostonGlobe.com links. I'm pretty sure all you (or anyone else) has to do to read an article from this site is to clear your cookies. I do that each time I turn off my computer, and have never once had a problem. The only other issue might be that they limit you to the number of articles you can access (from your IP address) within a certain time period (day, week or month), but if that is not the case then you should be able to read their articles - assuming of course that you actually want to give CHB a click.

STOP GIVING THIS CLOWN AD REVENUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVERY DAY HE WRITES SOME GARBAGE, EVERY DAY EVERYONE HERE CALLS HIM AN IDIOT.

that was all shift key by the way, straight up rage.

Come on people stop feeding him clicks thats the only way to get him to stop.

T&R mentioned this article this morning, and immediately their schtick was, "Well of course Patriot fans are going to go crazy because he's picking against the Patriots."

No. Just no. If he had picked against the Patriots, backed it up with something more than "People are picking against them", and left it at that, only the most vocal homers would have a problem with it. But he didn't do that. He picked the Broncos, and with his SECOND LINE he goes on the defensive with "Sorry, that's just how I see it." He's writing in a way that makes HIM the story, rather than anything he's writing about.

This wasn't an article about the Broncos beating the Pats. It was an article about Shaugnessy being "brave" enough to stand up to the rabid and irrational New England fanbase.

It's funny Shaughnessy and his T+R friends are going to play the martyrdom thing for all its worth.

Notice how, in this article, there is no derogatory "Pats fanboys' or "Amos Alonzo Kraft" references. He is playing it straight down the middle and writing this one (so he can use it as proof) as if he were just coldly doing some analysis.

Sorry, Dan, but I have NO PROBLEM with your column this morning. It is very moderate and you are entitled to your opinion. What you have fooled unknowing people (like Peter King) about is that the readers are not upset about your OPINIONS - - they are rightfully upset about your lack of doing any homework about football and your gratuitous insults to the fans and to Bob Kraft.

This column today is your Eddie Haskell attempt to somehow write something without gratuitous personal insults that you hope will get a reaction from the readers. That way you can wave "Exhibit 1"!

Too bad, Dan, I have no negative reaction to this. You are trying to be a grown up today and that is a good thing. I disagree with your conclusion about the game, but you did it in a way that more respectable writers would. Good for you in trying to act like a mature adult!

Last edited:
Why do people say Kraft has so much pull at CBS? Is there something I don't know?

STOP GIVING THIS CLOWN AD REVENUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVERY DAY HE WRITES SOME GARBAGE, EVERY DAY EVERYONE HERE CALLS HIM AN IDIOT.

that was all shift key by the way, straight up rage.

Come on people stop feeding him clicks thats the only way to get him to stop.
Repeat after me:
HE'S A COUMNIST ...A COLUMNEST.

Yes, you do. It appears in its entirety in the second post in this thread.

Was referring to the post by the OP (see rest of what I wrote). Guess I should have used the quote button.

Kiszla: Broncos' John Fox vs. Pats' Bill Belichick is really battle of players - The Denver Post

Here is a must read ;)

Here's what I don't get: If cyclist Lance Armstrong has been exiled as a shameless cheater and home run king Barry Bonds feels the wrath from 65 percent of indignant Hall of Fame voters, why is Belichick celebrated despite Spygate, which accused his Patriots of stealing defensive signals from the New York Jets?

In the win-or-be-eaten-alive-by-Twitter world of the NFL, Fox dares to show players and fans alike a little piece of his heart. Belichick would rather show the unwashed masses his disdainful arrogance.

This does not necessarily mean Fox is a better person than Belichick.

But it might help to explain why Fox's heart broke during the team's bye week and he had to be rushed to the hospital for repairs

-

opinions are like ????? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents