PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shaughnessy blasts Patriots over tickets, parking, time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shank is right....$40 to park for a practice game? Re-friggin-diculous!

If anyone disagrees that its outrageous to charge these prices, I'll sell ya 2 tickets for the Pats/Giants practice at face value.

As an outsider (one who does not live in the New England area) I cannot understand the absolute hatred that so many of the areas journalists have for this franchise? It is as perplexing as it is bizarre.
But this is not a Pats problem. This is a league wide scam. The pre season from an entertainment perspective, is waste of time. I would not pay a cent to see any preseason game. I understand the season ticket holders have to do so as part of the regular season package and this is a lousy way to squeeze loyal fans. But its a league wide issue, not exclusive to the Pats.
I hate pre season!

In the NFL, $49 to $150 (list price) lets you personally experience 1/20th of a entire football season. Even with backups and total scrubs playing, that is still WAY better value than MLB. You pay roughly the same for Red Sox tickets which let you personally experience only 1/162th of a season of baseball.

Not to mention, that with baseball tickets, you have to actually sit through a baseball game while it happens.

** yeah that :) **

An apples to apples comparison would be the cost (and time commitment) to go to 10 Red Sox games vs. 1 Pats game.

LOL...where did you come up with this? If that were true, the NFL would be selling tickets at 10x the cost....then theyd be playing games in empty stadiums.

To be perfectly honest, when I read the piece this morning, I thought it was a shot at the NFL with some veiled digs at the Pats. I think the parking, concessions, etc were aimed at Kraft. However, he does state that the NFL is the organization that sets the precedent with regards to ticket prices, players not playing, etc.

Comments like these are aimed at the NFL:
Welcome to 2007 preseason football -- games formerly known as "exhibitions." Many years ago, the Lords of the NFL decreed that "exhibition" sounds too much like powder puff, so the league insists on labeling these no-name dances preseason games. I guess it's better than calling them "lightweight football."

The scam is in the pricing. You pay major league prices for Grapefruit football. Tickets for tonight's game cost the same as seats for the super-hyped home opener against the San Diego Chargers (who have done away with all preseason pretense and said that all-world LaDainian Tomlinson will not play in these farces).

It's the price of doing business if you are an NFL fan.

I do think it would have been more productive for Shaughnessy to use his "talent" to write about today's Jimmy Fund Radio-thon since his daughter unfortunately had to use their services some time ago. Tell a good story Dan, don't take pot-shots.

Eh, Shank Shaugnessey is just going over the same arguments we had in here last week. He's probably is all proud of himself and thinks he's the first person to expose how much the NFL fleeces customers. Whoop-de-do.

Which is why I refuse to pay for NFL Network. They can take their billions and stick them where the sun don't shine. Or in my bank account if they'd like. :D

Anyhow, all sports franchises are a business. I went to a preseason game last year (Washington) and the face value of the ticket was $85. I got the tix for free, but some sucker paid the freight. Total rapage if you ask me, but guess what? Going to a game is not a right, it's a privledge. If Shank thinks it costs to much, then he shouldn't go.

Shank is right....$40 to park for a practice game? Re-friggin-diculous!

If anyone disagrees that its outrageous to charge these prices, I'll sell ya 2 tickets for the Pats/Giants practice at face value.
I'll do that in a second if you include 4 regular season games at face value. I'll let you protect 2 games then I get to pick 4. I won't even ask for any rights to the postseason like a regular season ticket holder would have. Deal..?

I don't have a problem with what he wrote other than some of the slant towards the Patriots like they are the ones who came up with the idea or something.

The pre season games are a total scam and anyone who doesn't agree needs to have his head examined.

125.00 plus 40.00 to park to watch a bunch of guys who will be working in a car wash in two weeks is a joke. When I had season tickets, it jerked a knot in my ass to have to pay full price for those two games, a total league wide scam.

As another forum member pointed out, NFL network is another scam, they can take their formerly freee network and stick it up their ass.

No doubt in my mind that at some point in the future, we are going to have to pay to watch home games in our respective cities, the NFL network is just the tip of the iceberg. It is happening now with baseball, basketball and hockey, football is next for sure.

Yes it's unfortunate the face value of the preseaon tickets is the same as a regular season ticket, but the way I look at for my seats (face value of $75) I pay $750 each for 10 games, but since I consider the pre-season tickets as give aways the $750 is divided by 8 regular games, or $93.75 each. I'm sure there are still plenty of people on the season ticket waiting list who would pay $93.75 a ticket.

As for comparison to Red Sox tickets, I went to a Red Sox game this week (first time in many years), pretty good seats on the 3rd base side, face value of $80 each, thru Ace Tickets with handling $215 each! Beer prices in Fenway $7.75 for 16oz of the good stuff, which is just about the same at Gillette (I usually pay $10 for 20oz Bass), BUT at Gillette for $10 or less I can drink a six-pack of Bass before the game at my tailgate before I go in. Overall I paid alot more for two of us at the Red Sox game then I do if two of us go to a Pats game...even at $93.75 each!

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with what he wrote other than some of the slant towards the Patriots like they are the ones who came up with the idea or something.

The pre season games are a total scam and anyone who doesn't agree needs to have his head examined.

125.00 plus 40.00 to park to watch a bunch of guys who will be working in a car wash in two weeks is a joke. When I had season tickets, it jerked a knot in my ass to have to pay full price for those two games, a total league wide scam.
Nobody forces anyone to buy season tickets. Anyone that doesn't like being forced to buy pre-season games with their full season package should STFU and turn in their tickets. There's about 50,000 of us eager to take your place. You seem to no longer have your season tickets, so what exactly is your issue..? You're complaining about money other people spend..?
No doubt in my mind that at some point in the future, we are going to have to pay to watch home games in our respective cities, the NFL network is just the tip of the iceberg. It is happening now with baseball, basketball and hockey, football is next for sure.
Right now, federal law mandates that home teams are shown in home markets for free for all roads games and all home sellouts. That's why when the Patriots have an ESPN or NFLN game, it is simulcast on Channel 5. It would take an act of Congress to do away with that, and I just don't see that happening.

Last edited:
It is said that during the great waves of immigration in the latter part of the 19th and early part of the 20th century, con men would approach naive new arrivals (who had been told the streets of America were paved with gold) on the streets of New York, and offer to sell them the Brooklyn Bridge for their pocket money. Since many of them carried their life savings in their pockets, this was a considerable opportunity for scammers.

Whether this actually happened, or is merely another urban legend, is unknown to me. But that is where the expression "if you believe that, then I have a bridge to sell you" originated.

Um I was being sarcastic.....

HAHA thats great a real bridge salesperson.

OK - please tell us which bridges we will find you driving around, so we know which to avoid. Help a brother Pats fan out.....please.

I live and work in VA. All of my bridges are perfectly safe.

As for the rest....VDOT does a good job of maintaining and designing their bridges. You wouldn't believe the amount of review a bridge goes through before it is built.

What's wrong with what he wrote? He's criticizing the pre-season and since he covers the Pats, of course, he's going to use them as examples. I think many people would agree that these games should cost less since they are essentially a glamorized practices and scrimmages.

Not everyone is going to write fluff pieces concerning the Patriots. Relax.

dan-shaughnessy.jpg
larry.jpg

Now, which one is Shaughnessy?

Um I was being sarcastic.....
um that certainly wasn't obvious ... forgive me for trying to answer your question - I am sure there are many people who DON'T know where the expression comes from. BTW, when I say "forgive me" I am being sarcastic.

Gee Quigon, envious much of season ticket holders? I should STFU should I; who the **** do you think you're talking to? Do I know you, no I don't so back the **** off ok there sport.

You're just the kind of sucker the NFL preys on, the "I'd do ANYTHING for tickets!" type who gladly bends over and pays full value for preseason, oh sorry, exhibition games and then gets reamed 40.00 for parking to boot.

Put up with that for several years and I bet you'd change your tune.

This will really jerk a knot in your ass; I've had season tickets three seperate times and unlike assclowns like you, I could have them back in two seconds if I wanted to. It's not what you know it's who you know and the sooner you learn that, the better off you'll be.

Enjoy your wait on the list you tool, I'm sure you'll get your tickets the year Brady and BB both announce their retirements.

Last edited:
Gee Quigon, envious much of season ticket holders?
A little, yeah. Don't get me wrong... I go to pretty much every Patriots game I desire (including all home playoff games and SB39), but if I had season tickets I would be paying a bit less and there would be less hassle.
I should STFU should I; who the **** do you think you're talking to?
I know who I am talking to: I'm talking to an immature prick who should STFU and quit whining. Either buy 'em or don't. But either way, STFU.
This will really jerk a knot in your ass; I've had season tickets three seperate times and unlike assclowns like you, I could have them back in two seconds if I wanted to. It's not what you know it's who you know and the sooner you learn that, the better off you'll be.
Well congratulations. You know someone and I don't. Boy that sure does make me an "assclown" :rolleyes: All the more reason you should STFU and quit your whining.

By the way, and this will really jerk a knot in your ass, but I am getting season tickets starting next year. That's a true statement (and it's got nothing to do with the waiting list). So, come to think of it, I guess what you know can sometimes be just as important as who you know.

Last edited:
um that certainly wasn't obvious ... forgive me for trying to answer your question - I am sure there are many people who DON'T know where the expression comes from. BTW, when I say "forgive me" I am being sarcastic.

I wasn't trying to be insulting or start anything. I thought the winking emote signified that it was tongue in cheek.

Wow, an internet tough guy, I'm shaking over here. So anyone who is against getting screwed by the NFL is whining in your book huh?

Good luck next year; tell the folks down at the stadium after you pay for your tickets that you usually expect to get kissed before you get ****ed ok there tough guy.

Relax, you'll live alot longer. A guy like you eats a piece of charcoal and craps out a diamond, talk about a walking heart attack.

I feel for the poor SOB who is lucky enough to sit next to an asshat like you.

Wow, an internet tough guy, I'm shaking over here. So anyone who is against getting screwed by the NFL is whining in your book huh?
No, not "anyone". But people like you definitely are. There isn't a single person in the country forced at gunpoint to buy season tickets.
Good luck next year; tell the folks down at the stadium after you pay for your tickets that you usually expect to get kissed before you get ****ed ok there tough guy.
Actually, next year's tickets are free... but you must think that all 60,000 season ticket holders plus 50,000 on the waiting list are all just a bunch of idiots, and you're the only smart one. Yeah, that makes sense :rolleyes:
I feel for the poor SOB who is lucky enough to sit next to an asshat like you.
Wow, an internet tough guy, I'm shaking over here. Now STFU and get your shine box.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes