PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shaughnessy and the Krafts

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is classic top shelf ****Head ......

upload_2014-12-5_19-51-35.jpeg
............CHB..........

Confused him with Barnicle who used to pump some southie police sergeant for all his stories. think he lived in the mean streets of Lincoln if i recall.
You are correct, sir! He lives (or lived) in quite the mansion. Kind of puts his 'man of the people' act to shame.

Shank aside (who I despised since the early 90's), how come the Krafts' (father and son) sit on a high chair while their invited guests are seen a rung below? Seems like they like to project a high and mighty image.

There are lots of chairs in those suites. There are like 5 in the front row, and he is usually in the middle one, but there are usually many people sitting with him in the front row, at the same height. Just look at any footage. E.g., Wahlberg. Sometimes people aren't sitting there, often his grandkids and others who are chilling in the back, because they don't want to be in the spotlight and are just kickin' it enjoying the game.

In other words, the premise of this justification is false. Screw shankanancy. He's just mad that he's never gotten to watch a game with the greatest owner in the NFL.

Stupid crap. don't waste clicks on them.

Wow...that's kinda embarrassing. ...

The writer, over 20 year after the fact, at least admits it's legend, since he's adding to it. Since I adopted Clayborn as my forum namesake, I've read about every version of this, including (I swear to God) an interview with Mrs. McDonough where she says what a class act Clayborn is for apologizing for losing his temper originally.

After the game, Clayborn was snapping at writers and bumping into them on purpose. Legendary writer Will McDonough of The Boston Globe took exception, saying “”Hey, Ray, there’s no need to do that.”

Clayborn reacted by jabbing his finger in McDonough’s face, poking him in the eye. McDonough then punched him twice, knocking him into a laundry cart and taking down a number of people with him.

The story immediately went into legend, with some accounts stating that McDonough had knocked Clayborn “out cold” with a single punch, and others describing more of a scuffle between the two.

That's about 60% embellishment. Never heard of the all pro scuffling with teammates during in season practices, that's made up IMO.

My version based on original material, knowledge of Clayborn's temperament and what's reported to have happened in the locker room.

First off, the reason I chose Clayborn when I joined KFFL originally was his intensity. If this was a 20 point win, as the writer says, you'd think he'd be relaxed, but he never, ever game a receiver a break. Every play was like the last play of a tied Super bowl. I recall one receiver going long, behind by a lot in garbage time, slapping at Clayborn like a mosquito that wouldn't go away as Clayborn harassed him all the way to the red zone and an incompletion.

So, based on tons of contemporaneous stories, this is what seems to have happened.

Some player was getting the media treatment for something after a big win. Clayborn always needed some cool down time, he was an intense player. The writers were bunching up in front of Clayborn, probably providing some Sanchezian ass in the face. Clayborn probably yelled, started to get up,

McDonough turned around and Clayborn pointed a finger in his face. He accidentally poked him in the eye and McDonough reflexively threw a punch.

That's it as far as reputable sources at the time reported. It's been embellished over time. I believe he didn't retaliate for the punch (if it even landed) because he did accidentally poke Will in the eye, and he later apologized to Mrs. McDonough, which was documented.

As far as a fight? Well, Clayborn weighed about 185. McDonough was taller and outweighed him by 50 pounds or so. Reportedly, McDonough stayed in shape and could fight, but it doesn't matter, it was a poke, a punch and an apology from Clayborn.

...And the birth of more legendary embellishment than the story of grimy celtic chieftan Arthur who ended up a King, with a Queen, armor and decorated jousting horses, after a few centuries of retelling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand