PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shane Lechler - FA Target?

Status
Not open for further replies.
in a year where we appear to be strapped for salary cap space, upgrading at the punter position may be a luxury we cannot afford.

Hanson step it up? He's been in the league for 8 years now. He IS what he IS right now. He's reached his ceiling. He's not going to mystically improve in next year's camp just because he's wearing a Patriots uniform. It's still a fact that Hanson is in the BOTTOM THIRD of NFL punters in the main stats that matter. Giving him another year is not going to change that.

I think anyone would like to see him end up here but punter is not nearly as big a priority as other positions (currently), he will most likely end up on a team like the redskins, and considering the current cap situation its not a likely option he will end up here. If I remember correctly we will bring in some cheap/er FA or UDFA punters into training camp to compete with Hanson that's about it. I would gladly welcome him here if we do sign him and would like to see him compete with other punters on the roster in TC.

If you think those stats are the most important for a punter your a clearly mistaken and need to do some research. Here I will break it down for you.

Overall punt yards - this stat depends on the amount of attempts which Hanson did not have many (which most fans would be happy about because the offense is moving the ball and scoring). This stat is also dependent on where the ball is punted on the field.

Net punt average - This stat is important more when the punter is kicking from his side of the 50 it is also dependent on if he is punting shorter to pin it within the 20 yard line. This is one of the better statistics.

In the 20 (IE coffin corners) - This stat is clearly dependent on field position and attempts. Like I previously mentioned in the 20(%) is a much better statistic. Also this stat is affected by players not stopping the ball from rolling into the end zone.

*Edit not trying to argue with you just show you somethings :)

Last edited:
Lechler is pretty universally thought of as top-5, and Hanson is well Hanson.

BUT you can't say Lechler is ooooooooo this much better o my gosh because he had more punting yardage. Gee, what team do you think punted more last year, us or Oakland?

Also, he's punting from further back than Hanson is, allowing him to just boom kicks. Hanson doesn't have that many opportunities to see if he can kick 75 yards.

BUT you can't say Lechler is ooooooooo this much better o my gosh because he had more punting yardage. Gee, what team do you think punted more last year, us or Oakland?

Also, he's punting from further back than Hanson is, allowing him to just boom kicks. Hanson doesn't have that many opportunities to see if he can kick 75 yards.

Look again at the stats VJC posted

"Net punt average
#1 Lechler 41.2
#24 Hanson 36.4"

Net average has nothing to do with who punts more. And you say he's always punting from further back yet he trouces Hanson in "Inside the 20" punts as well 33-19 despite the 2 having around the same amount of TB's (13-10). Lechler is by far and away better.

something that might help for comparisons is how do other punters who are i nthe same type of conditions as hanson go? i am not saying he is good or bad but how do new york e.t.c punters go

the only punter I'd rather have over lechler is sciphres (sp?). I'd love to upgrade the punter as it is a very important and overlooked position. That said I wouldn't want to sacrifce a solid starter but for the $$ I don't think that is an issue.

Stupid thread. BB doesn't like punters with a cannon for a leg. He even dislikes them more than o-lineman who can run block in-line and linebackers who can cover TE's. You know this!!!

in a year where we appear to be strapped for salary cap space, upgrading at the punter position may be a luxury we cannot afford.

Bingo. I have no problem upgrading the punter position, whether through FA or the draft. Hanson is serviceable but no more. Lechler would undoubtedly be an upgrade, regardless of how his yardage numbers may reflect poor field position. But spending on a FA punter is a luxury we may not be able to afford. I'm personally more enamored of some of the draft options, such as Kevin Huber from Cincinnati, in the 4th-6th rounds.

I say yes. This is probably outside of anybody's radar but he could be a remarkable improvement to special teams and 'dear god anybody but Hanson' has escaped fans lips not more than once last season, no?

Shane Lechler Stats, News, Photos - Oakland Raiders - ESPN

What Lechler offers - a strong leg, long hangtime on punts, and the ability to actually pin teams within the 20. He's a field position machine that can save you yards even when your offense fizzles and goes 3 and out. Don't think BB values that? Look at how much he emphasizes good ST play. Just a thought. The other alternative is to draft a punter in round 4-5 but Lechler is a proven ST weapon.

Absolutely, if he isn't at a crazy price.

He is top 5 punters in the league. Easy. I think 1 or 2 actually (Scifres is really good too).

Shane Lechler #9 P
2008 IN20% 36.7%

Chris Hanson #6 P
2008 IN20% 38.8%

Right on the ESPN stat page, anyway I don't see signing this guy as a big priority I would rather see some training camp/preseason punter battles see if Hanson can step it up.

If this stat is correct PatsChamp, then I'm with you all the way on this one. This is the most important stat for punters, even better than net avg! You can have a high net average if you punt from your side of the field all the time (i.e.Raiders), but if you are punting from about midfield or so and trying to pin them deep, your net avg. won't be as high.

Also, for those saying that Lechler had way more punts inside the 20 so he's better, that is misleading because he had more attempts. This stat shows % of your punts that ended up being inside the 20 and Hanson is better in that category.

Anyway, I will agree that Lechler has a stronger leg, but Hanson has better placement (not by much). Scrifres on the other hand, is the best overall punter in the NFL in my book.

If this stat is correct PatsChamp, then I'm with you all the way on this one. This is the most important stat for punters, even better than net avg! You can have a high net average if you punt from your side of the field all the time (i.e.Raiders), but if you are punting from about midfield or so and trying to pin them deep, your net avg. won't be as high.

NFL Punting Stats: 2008 IN20% Sorted

As much as I don't like ESPN it was the only site with that statistic that I could sort.

I do believe the raiders franchised Lechler, go figure...

I do believe the raiders franchised Lechler, go figure...

If they have, it hasn't reached the rest of the world (b/c it automatically makes Asomugha a UFA on 2/27). :)

NFL Punting Stats: 2008 IN20% Sorted

As much as I don't like ESPN it was the only site with that statistic that I could sort.

And, BTW, it puts Hanson 7th, and Lechler 10th in that category.

As far as number of punts goes, the Patriots were in the bottom quarter of teams.

A couple other quick thoughts:

(1) Don't forget that the P has one other role--holding kicks.
(1b) Clearly there is a reason Hanson is still around, and I'm assuming it has nothing to do with "dirt on Belichick/etc."

(2) It'd be interesting to see net yardage compared to field position. (In other words, would you rather have a punter average 40 yards from your own 30, or 30 yards from midfield?)

(3) When it comes to net yards, neither of them can hold a candle to Cassel. ;)

(3) When it comes to net yards, neither of them can hold a candle to Cassel. ;)

Hahahah hell yeah that punt was sweet I remember watching it. Yeah you make some good points about being the holder too I don't see Hanson going anywhere soon.

1. I'm surprised that a thread about a punter got 1,000+ views. Wow.
2. The role of Hanson as holder is overrated. Usually QBs hold the kick. We've done that plenty of years in the past. Hanson is hardly irreplaceable in that role. And who says that Lechler can't hold?
3. Scifres is not available and Lechler is. So how about we continue talking about obtainable upgrades.
4. Talking about obtainable upgrades, the Raiders can only franchise one player. They want to keep Asomugha and Lechler. Hmmm which franchise target is more likely? If Crazy Al franchises Lechler, Asomugha becomes a free agent. How likely is that?? He's crazy, but he's not stupid.
5. Some people try to cherrypick one stat to say that Hanson is better, but that's one stat, whereas Lechler beats Hanson in 5 or 6 other punter stats and in fact is among the league leaders in those stats and is clearly better by the eye test. Let's look at it honestly here. Lechler is a top 3 or so punter in the league. Hanson is bottom third and below average except for the one stat that we've managed to cherrypick.

Lechler is practically acknowledged as the best punter in the game. He is a clear upgrade to Hanson, and anyone looking to argue otherwise is just being contrarian.

The only real question is whether or not the Patriots think it would be good business to invest that much money in a punter when they need to use the punter less than most NFL teams.

Shane Lechler #9 P
2008 IN20% 36.7%

Chris Hanson #6 P
2008 IN20% 38.8%

That stat really says nothing if you look into the real calculation. Check out the other stats from that same page:

Lechler had 33 I20's and 13 TB's = 71% kicks land inside the 20 in 'coffin corner' punts.
Hanson had 19 I20's and 10 TB's = 65%

Leads me to believe that this 'IN20%' stat is just how many land inside the 20 out of TOTAL punt attempts which is a pretty useless stat if it includes punts from inside your own 30 yard line(which I'm sure Lechler had lots of). The #'s I posted here is the I20% from reasonable distances not total overall punts.

Lechler just signed a 4 year extension with the Raiders, so that ends this discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back