PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Key FA target?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats will have Cassel traded within the 1st week, if they indeed franchise him. They can work on the trade prior to the free agency. Just like they did with Welker.

You are one of a very small minority of people on this forum who

expresses at least a small doubt whether Cassel will be franchised.

I am even more radical since I don't believe he will be franchised

unless Brady is injured to the point where he will be on PUP to start

the season.

You are one of a very small minority of people on this forum who

expresses at least a small doubt whether Cassel will be franchised.

I am even more radical since I don't believe he will be franchised

unless Brady is injured to the point where he will be on PUP to start

the season.

Its not so much, doubt, as recognizing a possibility.

I have done my utmost to not pencil people and to keep open all possibilities.. Much to the chagrin of others who just want to assume that the Pats are going to re-sign players who have become binkies and such.

I could see BB attempting to draft "the next Shane Lechler", but I don't see him forking over the cap space to bring in the current one.

I mean if he wouldn't hold onto the HOF Vinatieri in his prime then I don't see why he'd go bringing in a punter whom while very good is NO future HOF.

Lechler is clearly one of the best punters ever. however, i dont think i like his ablilty to pin opponents inside the other teams 10 yard line. for the price he is going to command, his inability to do so would sway me away from him

Good point, Hanson had only 22% of his punts returned, a mighty low number.

And heck, why are we even discussing punters when the Patriots had the #1 ranked punter in the league this year? ;)
NFL Stats: by Player Category

That is the key, Hanson's kicks don't get returned. I could be wrong but in 2007 he only had 14 punts returned. 14 returned punts in a single year, that is one of those stats you have to truly absorb... wait for it.. wait for it... only 14 punt returned in a single year, amazing.

yep, I was right, only 14 returns in 2007. Even more amazing, there were only 11 punt returns against the Patriots in 2008.

NFL - Statistics by Team - Yahoo! Sports

The Pats were #1 in this department for two years in a row, it must mean something to the team.

There are lots of players Belichick will like to get his hands on. Our key free agent target should be Mike Wright (New England Patriots) who will be a free agent on February 27th.

I agree, Wright has proven to be a productive palyer for this team and would like to see him back. However, he is a backup here and should be paid accordingly. It probably makes more sense for Wright to seek another team, particularly a 4-3 team such as the colts/tampa that could highlight his strengths as a pass rusher.

That is the key, Hanson's kicks don't get returned. I could be wrong but in 2007 he only had 14 punts returned. 14 returned punts in a single year, that is one of those stats you have to truly absorb... wait for it.. wait for it... only 14 punt returned in a single year, amazing.

yep, I was right, only 14 returns in 2007. Even more amazing, there were only 11 punt returns against the Patriots in 2008.

NFL - Statistics by Team - Yahoo! Sports

The Pats were #1 in this department for two years in a row, it must mean something to the team.

Also says something for our terrible punt coverage unit this year-second to worst in the league. 11th in kick coverage for those wondering. 3rd in kick return, and tied in 9th in punt return. These stats (other than punt coverage and kick retrurn) are actually better than I thought.

Almost couldn't look when we kicked off this year. If it wasn't a touchback, I closed
my eyes. The Leon Washington return may have been the biggest play against us
all year. Blew that game open and forced us to scramble the whole game. You can
say the 3rd and 15 was bigger. But, may not even have been an ot without that
kickoff return. Hopefully, some of the db's we draft can cover kicks too.

With Mangini now at Clevland, does this mean that we can forget about Sean Jones as he is a restricted free agent?

With Mangini now at Clevland, does this mean that we can forget about Sean Jones as he is a restricted free agent?

I was just thinking of that this morning.. Now that Mangini is there, I believe he'll try to keep him.. Just a hunch, but he plays a lot like Kerry Rhodes.. Probably better though..

I was just thinking of that this morning.. Now that Mangini is there, I believe he'll try to keep him.. Just a hunch, but he plays a lot like Kerry Rhodes.. Probably better though..

Unless they tag him, he's gone. And I'm not sure they have the tag available or don't need to use it elsewhere.

Jones was drafted in 2004 so he's a UFA, but the franchise tag is a realistic possibility because it's so affordable for safeties (~$4.5 million).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes