PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aussie punter inroads- any chane one brought in here in future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

efin98

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I've gone out on a couple of limbs that have broken badly on me but this one I think is worth going out on a limb for...

Aussie getting his kicks with Miami Dolphins - Football - MiamiHerald.com

The Dolphins have signed a 23 year old punter Jy Bond who wowed team officials with 60 yard punts and hang times of over 5 seconds earning a spot in training camp...he has no experience with American football but did enough during the try out to earn a spot in their training camp.

He's the fourth punter in seven years to sign with an NFL team joining Mat McBriar, Ben Graham, and Saverio Rocca making the transition in recent years. The previous three made their teams and one of which made the Pro Bowl(Mat McBriar for the Cowboys). Graham was even in the Super Bowl last year with the Cardinals. The biggest impact punter from Austrailia was Darren Bennett who has spent the last few years training the likes of Mike Scifres of the Chargers, Shane Lechler of the Raiders, and Daniel Sepulveda have studied under Bennett learning his style.

The Patriots coaching staff has been thinking outside the box for years and this trend might be along their lines of trying. While it's a novelty it could pay off for them especially with Hanson being widely criticized last year over his punts...might be worth it just to try one guy out.

Last edited:
I'm Australian.

There is a heap of talent in Australia when it comes to kickers and punters. Whether they be from rugby league, rugby union or Aussie rules football.

Besides punters and kickers, there is a heap of talented athletes who would make good running backs or wide receivers. And there is sometimes articles in our papers regarding players going for tryouts for NFL clubs or hosting a few scouts.

I've constantly said that the Pats should look at players from down here. The added benefit is that any Australian punter would be considerably cheap. The best Aussie rules players would be earning less than 200k (US$).

I've gone out on a couple of limbs that have broken badly on me but this one I think is worth going out on a limb for...

Aussie getting his kicks with Miami Dolphins - Football - MiamiHerald.com

The Dolphins have signed a 23 year old punter Jy Bond who wowed team officials with 60 yard punts and hang times of over 5 seconds earning a spot in training camp...he has no experience with American football but did enough during the try out to earn a spot in their training camp.

He's the fourth punter in seven years to sign with an NFL team joining Mat McBriar, Ben Graham, and Saverio Rocca making the transition in recent years. The previous three made their teams and one of which made the Pro Bowl(Mat McBriar for the Cowboys). Graham was even in the Super Bowl last year with the Cardinals. The biggest impact punter from Austrailia was Darren Bennett who has spent the last few years training the likes of Mike Scifres of the Chargers, Shane Lechler of the Raiders, and Daniel Sepulveda have studied under Bennett learning his style.

The Patriots coaching staff has been thinking outside the box for years and this trend might be along their lines of trying. While it's a novelty it could pay off for them especially with Hanson being widely criticized last year over his punts...might be worth it just to try one guy out.

Sign me up for this. It's not just the big leg, but the ability to punt on the run, use the spiral, punt directionally. If you've played Rules, it just all comes a lot more naturally.

Sign me up for this. It's not just the big leg, but the ability to punt on the run, use the spiral, punt directionally. If you've played Rules, it just all comes a lot more naturally.

Not to mention that most Aussie Rules players won't shy away from contact ;)

wasn't it an aussie rules guy who hopped off his kitchen table to snap a tendon in his own foot, or something like that?

You may find this more applicable ;)

YouTube - Big Bumps of the AFL

Average AFL player earns roughly AUD$210,000 with the upper elite commanding AUD$900,000 from a salary cap of about 8 million per 40 man squad.

Yup!

And then, of course, there's the squirrel grip:

_44442581_gazza_jone300s.jpg

If anybody's good at aiming their kicks, those guys should be ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes