PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shane Lechler - FA Target?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I say yes. This is probably outside of anybody's radar but he could be a remarkable improvement to special teams and 'dear god anybody but Hanson' has escaped fans lips not more than once last season, no?

Shane Lechler Stats, News, Photos - Oakland Raiders - ESPN

What Lechler offers - a strong leg, long hangtime on punts, and the ability to actually pin teams within the 20. He's a field position machine that can save you yards even when your offense fizzles and goes 3 and out. Don't think BB values that? Look at how much he emphasizes good ST play. Just a thought. The other alternative is to draft a punter in round 4-5 but Lechler is a proven ST weapon.

I say yes. This is probably outside of anybody's radar but he could be a remarkable improvement to special teams and 'dear god anybody but Hanson' has escaped fans lips not more than once last season, no?

Shane Lechler Stats, News, Photos - Oakland Raiders - ESPN

What Lechler offers - a strong leg, long hangtime on punts, and the ability to actually pin teams within the 20. He's a field position machine that can save you yards even when your offense fizzles and goes 3 and out. Don't think BB values that? Look at how much he emphasizes good ST play. Just a thought. The other alternative is to draft a punter in round 4-5 but Lechler is a proven ST weapon.

Dante is strong. He's got huge legs. Let's pick up Dante and CONVERT him to punter ! Millen strikes again.

I'm not sure Hanson is really as bad as some on the board say... is he really our most pressing upgrade ?

Punter is not most pressing but it definitely can be upgraded upon. Reducing the number of shanks and increasing the yardage that the opposing team has to move the ball before they can score can only help out the defense.

Last edited:
Didn't Hanson win ST player of the week this season ? Not saying by a long shot that he's the greatest american hero - but wasn't Lechler so-so at best in the game against the Pats in bad weather ? (A game doesn't make a season, just playing devil's advocate).

Let me break down the numbers for you that will go beyond the less than meaningfull player of the week award scenario.

Overall punt yardage
#1 Lechler 4,391
#27 Hanson 2,143

Please note that there are only 32 teams in the NFL and therefore only 32 starting punters. Therefore in total yards Hanson was among the 5 WORST punters in the NFL.

Net punt average
#1 Lechler 41.2
#24 Hanson 36.4

I refuse to rank Cassel's 1 total punt for the season in the net punting yards metric.

In the 20 (IE coffin corners)
#3 Lechler 33
#20 Hanson 19

In every meaningful Punting statistic, Lechler is the #1 punter or a top 3 punter in the NFL. Meanwhile Hanson is a bottom third punter in those same statistics. Looking at overall stats for the 2008 season it is clear that Lechler is one of the premier punters in the league and Hanson is not even average, he's consistently in the bottom third.

Punter stats courtesy of NFL.com:
NFL Stats: by Player Category

Last edited:
#3 Lechler 33
#20 Hanson 19[/B]

That's not the stat you want to look at unless you list attempts or in the 20 %.

Let me break down the numbers for you that will go beyond the less than meaningfull player of the week award scenario.

Overall punt yardage
#1 Lechler 4,391
#36 Hanson 2,143

Please note that there are only 32 teams in the NFL and therefore only 32 starting punters. Somehow Hanson manages to come in #36! :eek:

This part was the best. I didn't realize there was so much disparity. To be fair, Oakland gives their kickers WAAAY more opportunities. But I wonder if he's going to command the tag like the falcon's kicker.

That's not the stat you want to look at unless you list attempts or in the 20 %.

If you can find more situationally specific stats you're welcome to list them here and add to the mounting body of evidence against Hanson.

This part was the best. I didn't realize there was so much disparity. To be fair, Oakland gives their kickers WAAAY more opportunities. But I wonder if he's going to command the tag like the falcon's kicker.

The thing is that the Raiders can franchise either Asomugha or Lechler. I don't think they can franchise both. And since franchising Asomugha is a no-brainer, that means that Lechler should be an unrestricted free agent.

Please note that there are only 32 teams in the NFL and therefore only 32 starting punters. Therefore in total yards Hanson was among the 5 WORST punters in the NFL.

I'm happy his total yards is low if it were high we would have a terribad offense (see Oakland for example). That ends that theory :)

Shane Lechler #9 P
2008 IN20% 36.7%

Chris Hanson #6 P
2008 IN20% 38.8%

Right on the ESPN stat page, anyway I don't see signing this guy as a big priority I would rather see some training camp/preseason punter battles see if Hanson can step it up.

Hanson also punts in horrible weather. Its alot harder then punting in warm california. I do think Lec is better but the difference isnt nearly as big as the #'s suggest.

Right on the ESPN stat page, anyway I don't see signing this guy as a big priority I would rather see some training camp/preseason punter battles see if Hanson can step it up.

Hanson step it up? He's been in the league for 8 years now. He IS what he IS right now. He's reached his ceiling. He's not going to mystically improve in next year's camp just because he's wearing a Patriots uniform. It's still a fact that Hanson is in the BOTTOM THIRD of NFL punters in the main stats that matter. Giving him another year is not going to change that.

I'm all for it. Hanson ranks very low in net yardage and when you have a defense like ours (overall stout but tend to give up the yards) having one of the top P's in the league can change games PERIOD. If Cassel is traded I wouldn't mind spending an additional $1M if that's what it takes to upgrade from a lower ranking P to an elite, that change is worth the $$.

Overall punt yardage
#1 Lechler 4,391
#27 Hanson 2,143

Net punt average
#1 Lechler 41.2
#24 Hanson 36.4

I refuse to rank Cassel's 1 total punt for the season in the net punting yards metric.

#3 Lechler 33
#20 Hanson 19

In every meaningful Punting statistic, Lechler is the #1 punter or a top 3 punter in the NFL. Meanwhile Hanson is a bottom third punter in those same statistics. Looking at overall stats for the 2008 season it is clear that Lechler is one of the premier punters in the league and Hanson is not even average, he's consistently in the bottom third.

You realize if we became really terrible, his stats would improve a lot, right?

The fans must get real psyched everytime they get to punt from their own 25.:D

Wow - just a thought : can you imagine how many other fans WISH they had this problem to discuss ?!%?

We are actually breaking down the punting ! Half the teams don't even have a QB they can trust !

I would think Lechler can't wait to get out of Oakland. Not only are they an awful franchise, but he was reportedly punched in the face by their defensive tackle Sands on a team flight. Sands is a big guy, something like 6-6 350. Sands wasn't disciplined over the incident and maybe that will seal Lechler's fate in Oakland.

Overall punt yardage
#1 Lechler 4,391
#27 Hanson 2,143

Net punt average
#1 Lechler 41.2
#24 Hanson 36.4

#3 Lechler 33
#20 Hanson 19

You should also consider that our offense moves the ball better than most offenses in the NFL. Lechler probably had a lot more attempts than Hanson did. With that said, I'm not a big fan of Hanson either. While punter is not the most pressing offseason need, it can certainly be upgraded. I wouldn't mind seeing Shane Lechler rock a Flying Elvis on his helmet next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes