PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seymour on Brady's return: 'It was only an ACL'

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Link to audio file of Richard Seymour's interview with radio station 680 WCNN in Atlanta

Seymour talks about working out this off-season ("I feel like I can have another nine years at this point"), why the Pats organization is so well run and so successful, Matt Cassel moving on and the return of Tom Brady.

“You know, at the end of the day, I think we have management that makes those kinds of decisions. And over the course of several years, they’ve done a great job with the scouting department and knowing who we need to put in at certain positions. So I’m confident that Tom can come back, it was only an ACL. I mean, you’ve had several guys come back within the same year sometimes from that injury. So it’ll be a year out when the season starts, it’ll be almost over a year’s time since the injury. So we’re fully confident that he can come back and do his job.”

continue reading for transcript of interview ...

seymour.jpg

1118664105_0355.jpg

How amzing that in today's day and age people would look at an ACL tear as not that big of a deal. It wasn't all that long ago that when a player tore his ACL, it was looked at as career ending injury. It was only a few years ago that the recovery time was 1-2 years. Now it is six months.

How amzing that in today's day and age people would look at an ACL tear as not that big of a deal. It wasn't all that long ago that when a player tore his ACL, it was looked at as career ending injury. It was only a few years ago that the recovery time was 1-2 years. Now it is six months.
That's very true. And the idea of a player getting his knee or elbow "'scoped" has become so routine it is barely reported. It's too bad modern medicine was not available for players from previous generations who had their athletic careers cut short such as Gale Sayers, Sandy Koufax or Bobby Orr.

That was a good listen. The folks nattering about dumping Seymour have no clue, I truly hope NE can retain Sey and Vince and Jarvis together just a bit longer.

He's actually spot on. In the UK soccer and rubgy boys are back after 6 months after an ACL tear

A year out with that injury IS a long time in modern sports, however its how mobile he is, how mentally it affects him (if at all) and how generally game fit he is (i.e not carrying extra weight)

That was a good listen. The folks nattering about dumping Seymour have no clue, I truly hope NE can retain Sey and Vince and Jarvis together just a bit longer.

There are reasons why you are an All Pro Poster, and this is one of many - you are 100% correct about hoping we can keep these three for a long time to come.

If you could only have one - would you agree with my selection of Seymour over Wilfork (and I love big Vince)?

I can see them only having one of those guys after the season is over.

I can see them only having one of those guys after the season is over.

is it crazy to think that Seymour who has scored big takes decent deal that likely allows him to retire where he started which he has said he wants? and if that happens Vince could be Franchised....Not to far fetched. As for Jarvis too that depends on whether he wants to start and whether he would except back up money.

There are reasons why you are an All Pro Poster, and this is one of many - you are 100% correct about hoping we can keep these three for a long time to come.

If you could only have one - would you agree with my selection of Seymour over Wilfork (and I love big Vince)?

this is a real tough debate. I think the 5 technique DE as talented as Seymour is hard to find and harder to find than a run stopping NT. But Vince is younger and enjoyed more health throughout his career.

What puts me over the top is our Pass Rush situation and the presence of Brace. Seymour wins. But with a season this could be a much easier question to answer and if it is harder that likely means good thins too.

is it crazy to think that Seymour who has scored big takes decent deal that likely allows him to retire where he started which he has said he wants? and if that happens Vince could be Franchised....Not to far fetched. As for Jarvis too that depends on whether he wants to start and whether he would except back up money.

No, it's not crazy. I just don't see all of those things falling into place.

No, it's not crazy. I just don't see all of those things falling into place.

I could see that happening pretty easy what I didn't mention though was that if that happened it might be tough to retain Mankins.

I will say one thing as scary as next offseason looks it will make for a whirlwind start to free agency/the month leading up to it.

Well, I must agree with Seymour's optimism...I will be rooting for TB to prove it is "only an ACL"...

Last edited:
If I could have only one, it would be the one who is most willing to negotiate within the financial constraints I'm laboring under. Certainly in terms of impact you have to rank them Seymour, Wilfork, Green, the challenge isn't to get the greatest "impact," it's to build a team and if Sey's market value is excessive for long term financial management, I'd have to wish him well elsewhere.

That said, despite agreeing with Whiskey's perspective on the challenging re-hiring market the NEP will face, I make a strong push for all three - good big men are hard to find, and great big men are few and far between. The real difficulty is projecting a CBA/cap from ongoing negotiations and managing the contracts and their percentage of cap within those constraints. I believe Floyd Reese was brought onboard not only to handle the contract details and groom Caserio, but for his historic knowledge of uncapped/capped/transitioning years. Hopefully he learned from the Tennessee budget meltdown and is prepared to help the NEP avoid foundering on those shoals.

I agree 100%. Richard Seymour’s contribution on the field is immeasurable

But Vince is younger and enjoyed more health throughout his career.

All in all, other than being banged a little in 2005, it's pretty much the same injury that's slowed Seymour for quite some time. If you buy that that's healed 100% from that (and FWIW, after 2008, I certainly do), then his health outlook looks pretty good.

Seymour's also only 2 years older than Wilfork, which isn't negligible, but when you're talking about two guys who both likely have 8+ years left in the tank, it's not such a big deal. I certainly wouldn't tip the scale one way or the other based on it.

All in all, other than being banged a little in 2005, it's pretty much the same injury that's slowed Seymour for quite some time. If you buy that that's healed 100% from that (and FWIW, after 2008, I certainly do), then his health outlook looks pretty good.

Seymour's also only 2 years older than Wilfork, which isn't negligible, but when you're talking about two guys who both likely have 8+ years left in the tank, it's not such a big deal. I certainly wouldn't tip the scale one way or the other based on it.

I am aware the 2-3 seasons of injury was the same injury.

And if you ask me I think Big Sey is more important to retain.

I dont know if you can say either of these guys has 8 years left in the tank that is a long time in the NFL. Lets just say they each will likely be performing at top level through their next contract....Which is probably overestamating too.

20 years ago it was a career ending injury. That's why I didn't have mine fixed for 15 years - I would have been in a cast of some sort and the leg would have atrophied so much it was better not to have the surgery.

Now the psychological aspect is almost more important than the physical - I still haven't gotten over the psychological trauma of my initial injury though I've made a lot of progress.

Pro-athletes are different from the rest of us. I didn't have a full time medical trainer overseeing my rehab, nor the best suregon money can buy. Nor was I working full time at rehab. If I was I doubt I'd have any question about the strength of my knee today.

There's no telling how Brady will react psychologically but the chances are more than good he won't be thinking about his knee when he drops back to pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back