PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Senior Bowl Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
:)Hi Hater, Im half Black half Irish btw.

Half black, half Irish? That's Boston for everyday human being. Congradulations, you are a human being like everyone else!! Holy sheet, this is typed by a 23 year old 6'1 Mick from southie never thought he'd see the day he was challenged on "adversity" from another. Whatever dude, good for you. If you think that race is a real thought, you are racist. There is no race, there is no me, there is no you, there is only us. Anyone who identifies themselves with a specific ethnicity is a biggot. There isn't a color that defines us, there is only the content of our character.

Whatever man, you'll never get it. I'm wasting my time trying to teach you about the pro game and life. Best of luck, holmes, and I sincerely hope that you can someday learn.

This is reaching the level of the absurd. Not sure why 2 relatively rational posters have gone beserk.

This is reaching the level of the absurd. Not sure why 2 relatively rational posters have gone beserk.

Mayo, I respect the hell out of you, but the other poster is a clear detriment to the site. C'mon man, you went to school for 19 years, you should be able to ID a troglodyte when you see one.

Mayo, I respect the hell out of you, but the other poster is a clear detriment to the site. C'mon man, you went to school for 19 years, you should be able to ID a troglodyte when you see one.

Doesn't mean I want to imitate one, though.

In this draft, I haven't seen him. The Bell kid from Wayne State flashes some of that chip on his shoulder running, whether he can do it consistently against a Pro Defense is anyone's guess, but he's a later round small school Fred Jackson-style target for you.

A UDFA target is the Ramsey kid from Cincinnati, nothing flashy, he's just tough.
I can't see why Gerhart can't be that guy. He has decent speed, he is tough, he is smart, he can block, can catch and had 28 TDs and 1,800 yards in a just fair offense in 2009. Won the Doak Walker award. Pac Ten offensive player of the year, second in the Heisman, 5.5 yards per carry, had runs of 60, 61 and 39 so he can go long distance, 235 lbs, he can be a bell cow with 343 carries in 2009. He is a faster Alstott. What fatal flaw am I missing with this kid? He just keeps running and obviously a BB type hard worker/scholar of the game.

YouTube - Toby Gerhart top 5 HALFBACK in 2010 draft Heisman Candidate

"He's strong, he's got good vision and his feet are quick," says UCLA linebacker Reggie Carter. "And if you don't get your body in front of him, you can't bring him down. He's a complete back."

That's a compliment without a qualifier, which Gerhart doesn't receive often enough. He is commonly referred to as a power back or, as UCLA coach Rick Neuheisel called him, "a load," both of which understate his athletic ability.

"His measurables look a lot like Beanie Wells. At the combine Wells was 6'1", 235 lb., with a 4.59 40; Gerhart is listed here as 6'1", 235 lb., with a 4.55 40. In their last 2 years of college (when each was the featured back), Wells had 481 carries for 2806 yards & 23 TDs in 23 games (5.83 ypc) and Gerhart had 553-3007-42 in 25 games (5.44 ypc).

DW Toys

Doesn't mean I want to imitate one, though.

Highly valid. I'm done. Thanks for calling me in. You are a true asset in both research and mediation.

Half black, half Irish? That's Boston for everyday human being. Congradulations, you are a human being like everyone else!! Holy sheet, this is typed by a 23 year old 6'1 Mick from southie never thought he'd see the day he was challenged on "adversity" from another. Whatever dude, good for you. If you think that race is a real thought, you are racist. There is no race, there is no me, there is no you, there is only us. Anyone who identifies themselves with a specific ethnicity is a biggot. There isn't a color that defines us, there is only the content of our character.

Whatever man, you'll never get it. I'm wasting my time trying to teach you about the pro game and life. Best of luck, holmes, and I sincerely hope that you can someday learn.

Dude I didnt even quote you, you started talking about how im from Jersey and calling me fake tanned ***got and what not, I didnt say anything to you. Ive been posting about plenty of prospects and we disagree on LeGarrette blount and you get all pms on me over here. I was pointing out my race because my skin color is as black as Randy Moss, I dont tan at all. You were just pulling sh*t out of you ass and I found it funny.

Regardless of whether NE wanted him - and they did draft a probable ILB in the late third - they had three opportunities to draft him which tells us his value to this organization wasn't at 23, 26, or 34. I can't think his value has improved with another drinking incident.

You talk about how you were right about the Maualuga lovers, but can't the same be said to you about your boy Barwin? His value to this organization wasn't at 23, 26, 34, 40, or 41. What does that say about him with a clear void at OLB with Vrabel gone? I know a lot of people, you included, wanted him badly in the first round.

You talk about how you were right about the Maualuga lovers, but can't the same be said to you about your boy Barwin? His value to this organization wasn't at 23, 26, 34, 40, or 41. What does that say about him with a clear void at OLB with Vrabel gone? I know a lot of people, you included, wanted him badly in the first round.
Yup, my value assessment for Barwin did not match NE's. Though it would have been really nice to have a young fellow capable of 4.5 sacks and 4 PD as a rookie in limited playing time developing behind TBC and Burgess. :confused2: Compare that to a kid who played well for Cincy (after they reportedly made an effort to partner him with a caretaker), but gets himself suspended to start his sophomore campaign...and we don't even know how he's doing on his rehab if he's out spending time in the hoosgow.

This is why I consider risk when falling in love with draft picks. I watched Blount's meltdown live, I know from the color commentator and online news sources that he was suspended from Training Camp for immature behavior - maybe he had an epiphany while on suspension, but why take a chance on a guy who is putting up pedestrian numbers? I'm not a Gerhart fan for NE, but at least he has the production and the character issues nailed down.

I can't see why Gerhart can't be that guy. He has decent speed, he is tough, he is smart, he can block, can catch and had 28 TDs and 1,800 yards in a just fair offense in 2009. Won the Doak Walker award. Pac Ten offensive player of the year, second in the Heisman, 5.5 yards per carry, had runs of 60, 61 and 39 so he can go long distance, 235 lbs, he can be a bell cow with 343 carries in 2009. He is a faster Alstott. What fatal flaw am I missing with this kid? He just keeps running and obviously a BB type hard worker/scholar of the game.

YouTube - Toby Gerhart top 5 HALFBACK in 2010 draft Heisman Candidate

"He's strong, he's got good vision and his feet are quick," says UCLA linebacker Reggie Carter. "And if you don't get your body in front of him, you can't bring him down. He's a complete back."

That's a compliment without a qualifier, which Gerhart doesn't receive often enough. He is commonly referred to as a power back or, as UCLA coach Rick Neuheisel called him, "a load," both of which understate his athletic ability.

"His measurables look a lot like Beanie Wells. At the combine Wells was 6'1", 235 lb., with a 4.59 40; Gerhart is listed here as 6'1", 235 lb., with a 4.55 40. In their last 2 years of college (when each was the featured back), Wells had 481 carries for 2806 yards & 23 TDs in 23 games (5.83 ypc) and Gerhart had 553-3007-42 in 25 games (5.44 ypc).

DW Toys
I've seen Gerhart in two games, and I have another to watch saved to DVR - so far I see a guy who gets big yardage when he's got a big hole. Your boy Maroney can do that. :cool:

Highly valid. I'm done. Thanks for calling me in. You are a true asset in both research and mediation.
You won't say that when you get his bill. :p

Though it would have been really nice to have a young fellow capable of 4.5 sacks and 4 PD as a rookie in limited playing time developing behind TBC and Burgess.

He may have produced more -- or less in a NE uni. Would have been comforting to at least have someone developing...

Why, this board has been unable to influence Belichick's decisions is difficult to accept...;) :(

He may have produced more -- or less in a NE uni. Would have been comforting to at least have someone developing...

Why, this board has been unable to influence Belichick's decisions is difficult to accept...;) :(

You would think that by now, some of us have track records that he should listen to....

You KNOW he logs on every morning to see what we have to say...

Haha, Thats all I needed to know bro, thanks for the insight.

You clearly missed what he was saying when he said that "as the level of competition advances, the less athleticism matters." One of the biggest things that people talk about is how the athleticism at the NFL level is so much better than the college ranks. And its proven by the numerous players who strictly relied on their athleticism at the college ranks who fail in the NFL.

In the NFL, the differences are much less from one player to another at their given positions.

He wasn't saying that athleticism doesn't matter in the NFL. It does. But its not the ONLY thing that matters..

You clearly missed what he was saying when he said that "as the level of competition advances, the less athleticism matters." One of the biggest things that people talk about is how the athleticism at the NFL level is so much better than the college ranks. And its proven by the numerous players who strictly relied on their athleticism at the college ranks who fail in the NFL.

In the NFL, the differences are much less from one player to another at their given positions.

He wasn't saying that athleticism doesn't matter in the NFL. It does. But its not the ONLY thing that matters..

At the same time, his insistence on "hatred" as being the true mark of a successful running back I find humerous. Barry Sanders ran with any particular hatred? Walter Payton? Eric ****erson?

Everybody need not be Jim Brown to be productive. For some it might help -- the He Hate Me factor. Others need no such motivation.

And as a general rule, posters that constantly remind us that they played this game at a high level and therefore have some mystical evaluation skills that the rest of us couldn't possibly understand irk me to no end. Just pointing out the reasons of disagreement are plenty. Declaring your opinions as more valid and above the comprehension of another poster, and then commencing unprovoked personal attacks, don't really contribute anything positive to the board.

Last edited:
Wes Bunting from NFL has his "winners" from the Senior Bowl and Shring Game weeks:

All-stars who helped their draft stock | National Football Post

I'm sometimes confused by Bunting's calls. For example, he has this to say about UMass OL Vlad Ducasse: "Speaking of rising offensive linemen, no one may have done more for himself the past two weeks than Ducasse. He was a downright dominating offensive tackle at the 1-AA level last season, but his ability to significantly improve every day at the Senior Bowl and follow his practices with an impressive game is what really stood out. The guy possesses a thick lower half, good natural power and impressive athletic ability for his size. He’s a lineman who could start at either tackle or guard spots in the NFL and will add a lot of talent and versatility to whatever NFL team drafts him." While Ducasse played ok in the Senior Bowl game and showed flashes of raw ability, he also showed how very raw his is, and how limited his lateral mobility is. I certainly wouldn't call him a "riser" based on his Senior Bowl performance.

And I wouldn't call Jimmy Graham an obvious winner at the Senior Bowl, either. He didn't hurt himself, but I don't see him as a fast riser by an means.

Meanwhile, there was no mention of Dan Williams, Alex Carrington, or Koa Misi from the Senior Bowl, or Freddie Barnes from the Shrine Game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents