PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Senior Bowl Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Box is 100% right, bro. I see a tough guy when he isn't challenged, a ****pie when he is. You're an MMA fan, right? Assuming you are, you understand heart. There's a certain trait of agression that all good thumpers have. He doesn't have it. Good pounding backs run with a clear hatred, their anger propells them to get nasty. Stiffies, angered sheds, punishing finishes. I studied tailbacks at a high level for four years, and got reps for two of those four at the position situationally. Hatred and anger can be clearly seen. When he gets to the league, and the poons are gone, he's going to fold up. I can see it clear as day.
Yeh, but he has a wicked right cross when you're not looking.

Ee, this is the kind of toughness combined with intellect we're talking about!
Team sports showering with all those sweaty fellows does prepare you for life's unpleasant little episodes. :p

If you can find the post where I make a big deal over Dunlap one way or another please link it for me, I'd hate to let my alzheimers have all the fun.

I make a big deal out of risk because risk is a big deal - just ask Cincy and their boy Rey Maualuga about DUI and missing a game or two next season when Emperor Goodell levies his suspension. Maualuga fans where telling me I was silly to consider his "risk" last year before the draft, well, NE passed on him three times - I guessed right that time and I'm applying some of that same thinking to Hardy and Blount. You want to blame Oregon's offense for Blount's poor season, odd, because Blount was their starting Tailback at the beginning of the season - I guess that Oregon Head Coach doesn't know his business.

I never said you made comments about Dunlap, I was using him as a person with "risk" that a lot of people here like in the first round. I'd actually like to hear your take on Dunlap in the first for the Pats b/c I wonder if you would/wouldn't want him based on his DUI. If you do want him, it would kind of be a contradiction of what you are/were saying about Maualuga.

Just curious but how do you know that Maualuga was avoided due to his off field "risks?" During the draft NE had more pressing needs at CB and S and even OLB with Rodney retiring and poor CB play from guys like Delthea O'Neal and Vrabel being traded. They also needed some insurance at NT with Wilfork heading into a contract year. I think at the time NE felt pretty solid about Mayo, Guyton, and Bruschi being the top 3 ILB and felt they could address ILB a little later in the draft after they sured up some other holes, which they did with McKenzie. I don't think off field issues is the reason the Pats steered clear of Rey. They didn't steer clear of Meriweather in 07 with his off field issues. They didn't stay away from Tate in the 3rd with his failing of a drug test. So I don't know how you can definitively say that the Pats weren't interested in Maualuga b/c of his off field "risk."

I'm not "blaming" that offense or the coach for Blount's season, just stating it wasn't the best type of offense to showcase abilities. I don't know how you can even rate his season based on the fact that he played 4 games due to the suspension and missed a lot of time. Even when he came back, he didn't see much action. I'm not a huge Blount lover but if he were there in the 5th or 6th I'd consider him based on what he did in 08-09. I don't consider that a risk at all given the success rate of 5th and 6th rounders. My favorite RB from the Senior Bowl was actually Stafon Johnson who I thought was undervalued b/c of USC's stable of RB's. I didn't see the game but I know he's expected to make a full recovery from his accident, and I thought he was the most complete back on SC. There are plenty of RB's I'd rather have than Blount, like Hardesty or McCluster or Dixon etc., but taking a shot on Blount in the 5th/6th wouldn't be a horrible move.

I never said you made comments about Dunlap, I was using him as a person with "risk" that a lot of people here like in the first round. I'd actually like to hear your take on Dunlap in the first for the Pats b/c I wonder if you would/wouldn't want him based on his DUI. If you do want him, it would kind of be a contradiction of what you are/were saying about Maualuga.

Just curious but how do you know that Maualuga was avoided due to his off field "risks?" During the draft NE had more pressing needs at CB and S and even OLB with Rodney retiring and poor CB play from guys like Delthea O'Neal and Vrabel being traded. They also needed some insurance at NT with Wilfork heading into a contract year. I think at the time NE felt pretty solid about Mayo, Guyton, and Bruschi being the top 3 ILB and felt they could address ILB a little later in the draft after they sured up some other holes, which they did with McKenzie. I don't think off field issues is the reason the Pats steered clear of Rey. They didn't steer clear of Meriweather in 07 with his off field issues. They didn't stay away from Tate in the 3rd with his failing of a drug test. So I don't know how you can definitively say that the Pats weren't interested in Maualuga b/c of his off field "risk."

I'm not "blaming" that offense or the coach for Blount's season, just stating it wasn't the best type of offense to showcase abilities. I don't know how you can even rate his season based on the fact that he played 4 games due to the suspension and missed a lot of time. Even when he came back, he didn't see much action. I'm not a huge Blount lover but if he were there in the 5th or 6th I'd consider him based on what he did in 08-09. I don't consider that a risk at all given the success rate of 5th and 6th rounders. My favorite RB from the Senior Bowl was actually Stafon Johnson who I thought was undervalued b/c of USC's stable of RB's. I didn't see the game but I know he's expected to make a full recovery from his accident, and I thought he was the most complete back on SC. There are plenty of RB's I'd rather have than Blount, like Hardesty or McCluster or Dixon etc., but taking a shot on Blount in the 5th/6th wouldn't be a horrible move.
I don't know enough about Dunlap to have an opinion, he's projected anywhere from top 5 to late first. The comparison people make is Julius Peppers, which is a strike against him as I consider Peppers too soft. His DUI is, so far, a one time incident from what people tell me, I think the greater problem with it is he hurt the team by not being available for a critical game, hopefully the kid learned.

Maualuga had a track record, not just one problem but a series of them. Watching his games he also played too soft with blockers and freelanced too much. Regardless of whether NE wanted him - and they did draft a probable ILB in the late third - they had three opportunities to draft him which tells us his value to this organization wasn't at 23, 26, or 34. I can't think his value has improved with another drinking incident.

I would not draft Blount, period.

I don't know enough about Dunlap to have an opinion, he's projected anywhere from top 5 to late first. The comparison people make is Julius Peppers, which is a strike against him as I consider Peppers too soft. His DUI is, so far, a one time incident from what people tell me, I think the greater problem with it is he hurt the team by not being available for a critical game, hopefully the kid learned.

Maualuga had a track record, not just one problem but a series of them. Watching his games he also played too soft with blockers and freelanced too much. Regardless of whether NE wanted him - and they did draft a probable ILB in the late third - they had three opportunities to draft him which tells us his value to this organization wasn't at 23, 26, or 34. I can't think his value has improved with another drinking incident.

I would not draft Blount, period.

I don't think that you can judge his value to the organization based on the fact that NE passed over him 3 times. I just don't think NE felt they needed to address ILB early in the draft. I think a lot of people felt pretty comfortable at ILB with Mayo coming off DROY and Guyton being a pleasant surprise, with Bruschi still expected back. There were other areas that were of more concern. We lost Harrison and sorely missed Samuel. Getting some depth at NT was also important with a big time player like Wilfork going into a contract year, especially after seeing the secondary struggle so much after another big time player left (Samuel).

Box is 100% right, bro. I see a tough guy when he isn't challenged, a ****pie when he is. You're an MMA fan, right? Assuming you are, you understand heart. There's a certain trait of agression that all good thumpers have. He doesn't have it. Good pounding backs run with a clear hatred, their anger propells them to get nasty. Stiffies, angered sheds, punishing finishes. I studied tailbacks at a high level for four years, and got reps for two of those four at the position situationally. Hatred and anger can be clearly seen. When he gets to the league, and the poons are gone, he's going to fold up. I can see it clear as day.

Scouting reports from around the web...

Aggressive runner that keeps feet moving after contact. Rarely goes down with the first hit and finishes runs.

He has tremendous leg drive, which helps him finish most of his runs with determination.

LeGarrette Blount (Oregon) is a swift player that generates a lot of power. He’s been compared him to Brandon Jacobs in the past, and that comparison is an accurate one - for both good and bad reasons. Like Jacobs, Blount will lose all his momentum if he’s forced to change direction behind the line of scrimmage. Once he stops moving he becomes an easy target to tackle. He’s a good cutback runner, and once hurdled over a linebacker’s outstretched arms in the second level. You have to go low to tackle this guy, but he’s athletic enough to leap over if given the chance. Blount was head and shoulders above all the other backs here in pass protection drills

Where do you see him "fold"? Sorry I dont see it.

Scouting reports from around the web...

Aggressive runner that keeps feet moving after contact. Rarely goes down with the first hit and finishes runs.

He has tremendous leg drive, which helps him finish most of his runs with determination.

LeGarrette Blount (Oregon) is a swift player that generates a lot of power. He’s been compared him to Brandon Jacobs in the past, and that comparison is an accurate one - for both good and bad reasons. Like Jacobs, Blount will lose all his momentum if he’s forced to change direction behind the line of scrimmage. Once he stops moving he becomes an easy target to tackle. He’s a good cutback runner, and once hurdled over a linebacker’s outstretched arms in the second level. You have to go low to tackle this guy, but he’s athletic enough to leap over if given the chance. Blount was head and shoulders above all the other backs here in pass protection drills

Where do you see him "fold"? Sorry I dont see it.

Easy, Situation, easy now. There's a distinct difference between Internet scouting reports and actual on-field performance. Like I said, I spent the majority of my athletic career studying tailbacks. I know a tough guy when I see one, and Blount is not one. I viewed things a lot like you do when I was in my last year of HS, but getting some legit college experience about what makes a player drastically changed my mind. It ain't about what the so called experts say, nor is it about stupid "beastly" runs, it's about day in, day out consistency and palpable hatred. As the level of competition advances, the less athleticism matters. Blount is your classic big guy tailback. He's hard when he isn't challenged, soft when he is.

Those of us who are less about posturing and more about letting our work speak understand this.

Last edited:
Easy, Situation, easy now. There's a distinct difference between Internet scouting reports and actual on-field performance. Like I said, I spent the majority of my athletic career studying tailbacks. I know a tough guy when I see one, and Blount is not one. I viewed things a lot like you do when I was in my last year of HS, but getting some legit college experience about what makes a player drastically changed my mind. It ain't about what the so called experts say, nor is it about stupid "beastly" runs, it's about day in, day out consistency and palpable hatred. As the level of competition advances, the less athleticism matters. Blount is your classic big guy tailback. He's hard when he isn't challenged, soft when he is.

Those of us who are less about posturing and more about letting our work speak understand this.
Haha, Thats all I needed to know bro, thanks for the insight.

Last edited:
So if a fan wants to draft the next Correy Dillion, who is that player?

Dillion is an interesting NFL back, comimg out of college he had it all, speed power, vision, only lasted till the second round due to "off the field issues".

I'd like a RB similar to the Bill's Fred Jackson out of Coe College. A low rounder with super potential.

Dillion is an interesting NFL back, comimg out of college he had it all, speed power, vision, only lasted till the second round due to "off the field issues".

I'd like a RB similar to the Bill's Fred Jackson out of Coe College. A low rounder with super potential.

If only drafting were that simple...

If only drafting were that simple...

I'd like to order the Willie McGinest-Richard Seymour combo platter, with some Tedy Bruschi and Ben Coates on the side. :)

Haha, Thats all I needed to know bro, thanks for the insight.

Easy buddy, don't let that Winnie have you barkin up a tree you can't see the top of sweetheart.

come at me bro..

Perhaps the gayest thing said on the server. Just cut your losses, dude. The last thing I want to do is humiliate the handicapped. Your tan is as fake as your nuts. You wanna
get after it, be my guest.

Last edited:

In this draft, I haven't seen him. The Bell kid from Wayne State flashes some of that chip on his shoulder running, whether he can do it consistently against a Pro Defense is anyone's guess, but he's a later round small school Fred Jackson-style target for you.

A UDFA target is the Ramsey kid from Cincinnati, nothing flashy, he's just tough.

Perhaps the gayest thing said on the server. Just cut your losses, dude. The last thing I want to do is humiliate the handicapped. You're a fake tanned
Jersey ***got. I have a set of nuts and understand football. You want to get embarassed? Step the f*ck up. Let's dance, *****, it's been far too long your dumbass as been allowed to post here.

:)Hi Hater, Im half Black half Irish btw.

Perhaps the gayest thing said on the server. Just cut your losses, dude. The last thing I want to do is humiliate the handicapped. You're a fake tanned
Jersey ***got. I have a set of nuts and understand football. You want to get embarassed? Step the f*ck up. Let's dance, *****, it's been far too long your dumbass as been allowed to post here.
Don't let the Madden heroes get you down. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey