PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi OT: Saintsreport members want to attempt a clownout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was disappointed in the 2017 opener....the stadium wasn't close to teal blue.......or whatever color that t-shirt is....

I wore mine while watching on TV though.

that's becuase it was less ts hirts and more towels right?

i recall it being a LOT of towels
There were patches of people holding up towels throughout the stadium, but nothing close to a majority. The bigger point is that Goodell doesn't care. I saw him come onto the field before the game, fans just a few feet away were yelling at him and holding up the towels. He just looked and smiled and then hobnobbed with his entourage. If people think a "clownout" will have any impact beyond making their wallets lighter they're kidding themselves.

Saints fans. Our brothers from another mother. A lot of them hate us too but not as much as they hate Goodell and that's enough for me to form a life long bond with someone over.

There were patches of people holding up towels throughout the stadium, but nothing close to a majority. The bigger point is that Goodell doesn't care. I saw him come onto the field before the game, fans just a few feet away were yelling at him and holding up the towels. He just looked and smiled and then hobnobbed with his entourage. If people think a "clownout" will have any impact beyond making their wallets lighter they're kidding themselves.
He cares. He's just "smart" enough to pretend to ignore it.

I bet (hope) it bothers him to some point.

upload_2019-1-31_18-19-46.jpeg
I disagree that he doesn't care, or that a good number of fans didn't have shirts and towels at the game. Images like the one above did not appear on TV. He and/or the Krafts and/or the NFL made damn sure that those towels were not shown. When a timed chant/cheer/clown out of the fans in the stadium was set to happen (I forget when it was supposed to be; right after the National Anthem, maybe?), the stadium suddenly announced a moment of silence for the military or something, so that the towel wavers couldn't carry through without looking like AHs interrupting a moment of silence. When one of the guys in military row grabbed one of the towels and shook it when they were being honored, the camera was immediately cut off. Same thing when Scott Zolak waved one during his usual 4th quarter cheer-leading session. A lady in front of me to get into the stadium with the clown picture on her poster had it confiscated. The problem is getting the word out and towels distributed to lots of folks (but hidden in your clothes) without the NFL knowing about it. Probably not going to happen. Also, how many Saints fans are going to pay a lot of $$ to be at the game just to wave a towel? Probably not many...It would be better for them to do it at their home opener next year.

I disagree that he doesn't care

His job is to literally be the punching bag for everything that goes wrong or might be controversial in the league. If he didn't care about all the boos when he handed the trophy twice to us in the last few years then he will care even less about fans in a stadium shouting things at him or wearing the clown gear.

$40milliom a year is a pretty big shield.

His job is to literally be the punching bag for everything that goes wrong or might be controversial in the league. If he didn't care about all the boos when he handed the trophy twice to us in the last few years then he will care even less about fans in a stadium shouting things at him or wearing the clown gear.
I saw him interviewed about being booed loudly at events like the draft. He said, "Well, I'm the commissioner. Of course they boo."

Make no mistake, I've booed the jerk myself for the fact he does boo-worthy things independent of the owners' directives. Perhaps fan wrath bugs him on some level, but not enough to make any difference.

Last edited:
OT, if the Patriots win Sunday expect the opener to be KC at NE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST