PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi-OT: Is Mike Reiss headed to the dark side?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't notice a difference.

There is always going to be a difference between a local beat reporter and a national beat reporter. Everyone loved Reiss when he was a local beat reporter and most times everyone loves the beat reporter because they need to be careful what they write or the players shut them out.

I think Reiss dances on the line ... everyone needs to eat.

He isn't any less talented than when he was the guy.

Maybe I wasn't clear.

A) I still like Reiss' reporting, but I've noticed more pessimism from him lately. It could be nothing, but I don't want to see him become another Gasper.

B) Apparently I'm in the minority. Maybe I just need to finally own up to that fact that the days when the Patriots could do no wrong as an organization are over

I think it a combo of A & B, call it reality if you like. The team is not at the same level as before so there is more to question / critique. When the team goes 28-4 and wins two Superbowls it is hard to question them, back then it was only Borges. No that they are in the middle of the pack more people can take shots.

I like Reiss, I appreciate the way he writes and the way he expresses himself. Even when being "critical" of a decision, he explains himself fully and also tries to provide the counter-point to his opinions. And he is extremely clear about what he is reporting vs. what is his opinion. A lot of guys blur those two and pass off their thoughts as fact. The other thing I admire about Reiss is when he's wrong, he'll admit it, which is way more than most of the Boston guys can say.

He does seem to be questioning more things lately, but in all fairness, we all have, BB included. But never has it felt malicious or biased or unfair. The questions raised are legit ones. I have no problem with him asking them, and I appreciate the balanced way he looks at answering them.

The podcasts are awful though.

I think he tells it like it is, for years they were great and thats what he reported, now, not so much and thats what hes writing.
I never understood why some other writers and media people thought of him as a homer, if the teams great, you're probably gonna write good things about the home team

Reiss is very black and white, doesn't seem to hold any agendas, and admits when he's wrong. To quote Belichick, "What's not to like?"

As far as the negative media goes most people can't help themselves and tune in or read their stories. They exist because negativity sells, end of story.

In the last 20 or so games, there's been more negative things than positive things to report on, to be honest. Reiss is still light years better than some of the other trash in the Boston media.

This.

(10 char)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back