PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seau fined $7,500 for hit on Pennington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceresco

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
(KFFL) Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports New England Patriots LB Junior Seau has been fined $7,500 for a hit near the knees of New York Jets QB Chad Pennington (calf) during the Week 2 game. Seau was flagged on the play for roughing the passer and Pennington suffered a slight calf injury on the hit.

I didn't think the hit was that bad.

It looked like it could have been bad but it wasnt. He problably didnt mean it. Oh well 7,500 fine to a HOF'er is nothing.

Anybody have a screen capture of it? I didn't think it was that bad.

nhpatsfan said:
Anybody have a screen capture of it? I didn't think it was that bad.

Yeah, too bad the quality of my capture isn't so good.

It looked like it was above the knee when I saw it too. I can understand the flag because it was borderline but I guess I don't get the penalty, especially considering it looked less intentional than what happened with Trent Green and Seau had players falling on him from behind, which was the exact reasoning the NFL used to not fine for the hit on Green.

fnordcircle said:
It looked like it was above the knee when I saw it too. I can understand the flag because it was borderline but I guess I don't get the penalty, especially considering it looked less intentional than what happened with Trent Green and Seau had players falling on him from behind, which was the exact reasoning the NFL used to not fine for the hit on Green.

Goodell needs to let the players play the game. In the last couple of years the NFL has been extremely heavy-handed with new or redefined rules. They changed the illegal contact rule after the Colts complained. They redefined the roughing the passer penalty this year after Carlson Palmer hurt his knee.

Now, I don't want to see guys flying through the air, decapitating people on Sunday but let the guys play football. This play could have gone either way.

Last edited:
From the screen shot you can obviously tell he's falling over after getting tangled up with the Jets and Pats player. It was not an intentional dive at the knees.

While I agree with the spirit of the rule about not going after the QB's knees to try to take them out but you've gotta let the boys play.

Willie55 said:
From the screen shot you can obviously tell he's falling over after getting tangled up with the Jets and Pats player. It was not an intentional dive at the knees.

While I agree with the spirit of the rule about not going after the QB's knees to try to take them out but you've gotta let the boys play.
Agree. I can understand the flag IN GAME... gotta protect the QB and all, but I can't understand the fine. Unless they were just looking to fine people early for this new rule to send a message that they'll be no more [SIZE=-1]von Oelhoffening of knees.[/SIZE]

Thanks, fnordcircle. That's how I remembered it. Flag, yes. Fine, no.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Agree. I can understand the flag IN GAME... gotta protect the QB and all, but I can't understand the fine. Unless they were just looking to fine people early for this new rule to send a message that they'll be no more [SIZE=-1]von Oelhoffening of knees.[/SIZE]

Kimo-therapy, eh?

Let's just put pink jerseys on the quarterbacks and be done with it already. I can accept the penalty on Seau for that hit, but the league needs to be uniform in its calls. Trent Green was sliding feet first and got clocked (Geathers did not let up) - the NFL barely batted an eyelash over that incident.

Whaddya say....two hand touch anyone?

Pretty ridiculous.

They are definitely inconsistent with it. The Trent Green hit is a good example IMO.

I also had to laugh at the double penalty on Wilfork last week for unnecessary roughness. The offside was a given but unnecessary roughness? Had he done something to warrant that call on a dead ball foul, wouldn't you think the Jets o-lineman would have been all over him?

Junior hits the QB, ABOVE the knees and gets fined. Trent Green gets decapitated and yet its not even a penalty. Riiiiiight.

Speaking of dumb officials was anyone else at a loss for words during the Jets game at how many times flags were thrown and then they would say there was no foul on the play? I want them to get it right but it does illustrate their incompetence.

I hate that going into games a team doesn't just have to win against the other team but they have to win against the officials too.

those no-foul calls

zippo59 said:
Speaking of dumb officials was anyone else at a loss for words during the Jets game at how many times flags were thrown and then they would say there was no foul on the play? I want them to get it right but it does illustrate their incompetence.
I hate that going into games a team doesn't just have to win against the other team but they have to win against the officials too.
i believe someone was close by in the stands with a whistle. there's gonna be copycats of that if nfl doesn' pay attention. maybe kraft would ban the whistler out of new england.
nfl is CRAZY abot protecting quarterbacks in the pocket. if seau gets fined for that, what's a defensive player to do? it's as bad as hitting a punter.
on the other hand our boy TB oughta be getting some of that fingertip preotection hisself.

Re: those no-foul calls

ilduce06410 said:
i believe someone was close by in the stands with a whistle. there's gonna be copycats of that if nfl doesn' pay attention. maybe kraft would ban the whistler out of new england.
nfl is CRAZY abot protecting quarterbacks in the pocket. if seau gets fined for that, what's a defensive player to do? it's as bad as hitting a punter.
on the other hand our boy TB oughta be getting some of that fingertip preotection hisself.

That was one play where the officials heard a false whistle. But there were several plays where the officials threw flags only to later decide there was no penalty.

good lookin' out

zippo59 said:
That was one play where the officials heard a false whistle. But there were several plays where the officials threw flags only to later decide there was no penalty.
i heard the early whistle.
assumed (!) that the other screwups were from the same thing
the nfl refs are the best on planet earth. watch a college football game and ya see the diffference.
oh yeah, i've thrown furniture around at some calls in patriot games.
but the tuck rule call just about evened it up for me.
i still smile every time i think of it.

Re: good lookin' out

I'm SHOCKED by the fine. It couldn't be more clear that Seau was blocked into Penny by Seymour, who was blocked into Seau by A PLAYER ON THE OTHER TEAM. Good Christ. Ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back