PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Season is over, who is the MVP of the NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would give the award to Chad Pennington. He certainly didn't put up great numbers, but he didn't have the talent around him to put up great numbers. Sometimes, the best QB is the one that doesn't make the big mistake, and Chad avoided the big mistake all year long.

I watched a lot of Vikings games this year, and Adrian Peterson fumbled too much to be considered the NFL MVP. He's an excellent player, but he had several key fumbles this year. I would have Michael Turner ahead of him in the MVP vote at RB.

I admire what Rivers did this year numbers wise, but 8-8 in the AFC West? 6games against Oakland, KC, and Denver? I can't consider him for MVP given his teams record.

Then again, Rivers got jobbed out of the Pro Bowl, so how could he be MVP? .

just last year, Jimmy Rollins won MVP while not making the All Star Team.

Although, since that game is voted on in the first half, it is a bit different in that a player can pick it up in the 2nd half and not get the votes for a game that already happened.

Good one. Six fourth quarter victories. Ungodly stats for PM in the 3rd and 4th quarters. 3 Comebacks from down 14, plus another from down 10. 4000 yards, 66.8 Completion %, 95 passer rating. Yeah, no way he deserves it. This Colts team would win 11 games easy without PM:rolleyes:

Agreed. Colts are a 3 win team without Manning.

BTW: We almost made the playoffs and had 11 wins without Tom.

Manning is MVP, and I agree the Colts are a 3-6 win team without him.

BTW: NE does have a great system. Kudos to BB.

Last edited:
'caugh, caugh What? Removing TB's numbers for last season, as he was the MVP, let's take a look.

Only 1 time did TB even approach 371 completions, that was in '02, when he completed 373. Never has he come close to a 66.8 completion percentage. Only once did he surpass 4000 yards ('05). 28 TD's were a career high, Manning has never thrown fewer than 26. He threw 27 this season, while the team averaged about 5 points less than they are used to. 12 picks are remarkably low, considering he had 9 in he first 7 weeks. TB's career high passer rating was 93. Peyton hit it for a 95 clip. Sure, it was his lowest since 2002, but Brady, IN ALL THOSE OTHER YEARS, never hit a 95.

No way has this "down year" equaled the numbers that Brady was used to turning in. PM's 2008 stat line looks pedestrian compared to only Peyton Manning. This would be a career year for many qb's. And I think someone mentioned the 12 wins were "expected" Ha, I didn't see too many here lining up to place that bet. Every year is the year the Colts window closes, and every year they prove otherwise. 6 straight 12 win seasons. Unprecedented. Now, everyone is entitled to an opinion, and cases can be made for several players, but there is one clear cut favorite. In the end, I would trade it for a win in Tampa in a few short weeks.

So Brady's never come close to 27/12/4002/95.0?

Only in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006. Are the numbers exactly the same? No, and I didn't say they were. But they were close enough to illustrate my point that Brady's numbers were merely very good, just as Manning's are this year, and Brady didn't win the MVP until he threw for 50 TDs, regardless of the Superbowls he was winning. And he plays outdoors in the Northeast, not in a dome or warm weather climates all season long.

Why isn't Philip Rivers the MVP? He has more TDs, more yards, less picks, and a higher QB rating than Manning. He's also coming off knee surgery, had to contend with a ton of injuries (Merriman, Tomlinson, Gates) lost another MVP candidate (Turner) and plays outdoors (let's not discount the influence that playing no less than nine games a year in perfect conditions has on a QB's performance) albeit in San Diego. At least they get wind and rain from time to time. Don't give me the "Manning doesn't play in a dome anymore" thing, either, as that roof is always closed if there's any inclement weather.

Brady had similar seasons and won Superbowls with guys you've never heard of, but Manning got the individual hardware based on numbers alone. Now that his production has fallen to human levels, the criteria are being changed.

So calling Manning the "clear cut" MVP favorite is disingenuous, at best. There are worthier candidates who don't have the luxury of being named Manning.

So Manning should win MVP every year because his team and coaches suck without him?

That would simplify things, I guess.

So Manning should win MVP every year because his team and coaches suck without him?

That would simplify things, I guess.

Nope, I disagree with that as the main component of the criteria. It's MVP of the league, not your own team.

I'd say in a year that doesn't have a player who is head and shoulder above everyone else that Manning is the guy.

Drew Brees should have been it, but the voters insist that the MVP almost has to come from a playoff team and Brees fell out of favor.

I'd then say Adrian Peterson, imo. To watch Adrian Peterson play, he's pretty much almost unstoppable.

If I had a vote, I'd vote Manning first, if you compare him to himself it's a mediocre season, but compared to what he did the last 9 games, he's deserving.

I'd put Adrian Peterson a close second, he's dominant.

And honestly, I'd actually maybe vote Albert Haynesworth 3rd, as much as I hate the guy. He too, is completely dominant at his position.

I don't have a vote though.

Also, if you choose Pennington then do you have to look at Tennesee's QB Kerry Collins, too? And that isn't right. I mean Pennington's number are better than Collins, but neither is MVP worthy. You really have to throw at least 20 TDs to be in the conversation.

I mean, I think you have to have the numbers, be on a good team, and be a dominant difference maker on a consistent basis.

Lastly, Defensive guys won't get it, unless someone gets like 30 sacks one year or 15 interceptions, something ridiculous. It's not right, but it is the case.

Last edited:
That doesn't speak much of how "valuable" your one-time MVP really is

Seeing as they were seven wins worse, including playoffs, it kinda does.

Didn't the Colts roll the other day without Sorgi? Hmmmm... :rolleyes:

Nope, I disagree with that as the main component of the criteria. It's MVP of the league, not your own team.

I'd say in a year that doesn't have a player who is head and shoulder above everyone else that Manning is the guy.

Drew Brees should have been it, but the voters insist that the MVP almost has to come from a playoff team and Brees fell out of favor.

I'd then say Adrian Peterson, imo. To watch Adrian Peterson play, he's pretty much almost unstoppable.

If I had a vote, I'd vote Manning first, if you compare him to himself it's a mediocre season, but compared to what he did the last 9 games, he's deserving.

I'd put Adrian Peterson a close second, he's dominant.

And honestly, I'd actually maybe vote Albert Haynesworth 3rd, as much as I hate the guy. He too, is completely dominant at his position.

I don't have a vote though.

Also, if you choose Pennington then do you have to look at Tennesee's QB Kerry Collins, too? And that isn't right. I mean Pennington's number are better than Collins, but neither is MVP worthy. You really have to throw at least 20 TDs to be in the conversation.

I mean, I think you have to have the numbers, be on a good team, and be a dominant difference maker on a consistent basis.

Lastly, Defensive guys won't get it, unless someone gets like 30 sacks one year or 15 interceptions, something ridiculous. It's not right, but it is the case.

Rivers meets all of your criteria, and exceeds Manning's numbers practically across the board. Why not him?*

*PS I can't stand Rivers.

Rivers meets all of your criteria, and exceeds Manning's numbers practically across the board. Why not him?*

*PS I can't stand Rivers.

For me, cuz he's a prick.

I assume for the real voters because he is from an 8-8 team. I'm not sure that is completely right to hold that against him, though.

I would guess if he goes off and dominates Indy this weekend that will be a hot topic next week on all of the sports talk radio shows (that I won't hear because I'll be in a depressed post football media black out period).

For me, cuz he's a prick.

I assume for the real voters because he is from an 8-8 team. I'm not sure that is completely right to hold that against him, though.

I would guess if he goes off and dominates Indy this weekend that will be a hot topic next week on all of the sports talk radio shows (that I won't hear because I'll be in a depressed post football media black out period).

Or Kurt Warner! Winning record and better numbers than Manning.

Anyway, my point is that Manning is anything but the clear choice. There are several worthier candidates.

Okay, now I'm done. :D

Peyton Manning is going to win the MVP, but I would give it to Chad Pennington, Adrian Peterson, or Michael Turner before him.

Brees would have been the clear winner had the Saints made the playoffs.

Sadly, I think if Manning had put up the stats Brees did with the 8-8 record they'd give it to him and we'd hear some ballwashing nonsense about them "only winning 8 games because of Peyton!"

So Brady's never come close to 27/12/4002/95.0?

Only in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006. Are the numbers exactly the same? No, and I didn't say they were. But they were close enough to illustrate my point that Brady's numbers were merely very good, just as Manning's are this year, and Brady didn't win the MVP until he threw for 50 TDs, regardless of the Superbowls he was winning. And he plays outdoors in the Northeast, not in a dome or warm weather climates all season long.

Why isn't Philip Rivers the MVP? He has more TDs, more yards, less picks, and a higher QB rating than Manning. He's also coming off knee surgery, had to contend with a ton of injuries (Merriman, Tomlinson, Gates) lost another MVP candidate (Turner) and plays outdoors (let's not discount the influence that playing no less than nine games a year in perfect conditions has on a QB's performance) albeit in San Diego. At least they get wind and rain from time to time. Don't give me the "Manning doesn't play in a dome anymore" thing, either, as that roof is always closed if there's any inclement weather.

Brady had similar seasons and won Superbowls with guys you've never heard of, but Manning got the individual hardware based on numbers alone. Now that his production has fallen to human levels, the criteria are being changed.

So calling Manning the "clear cut" MVP favorite is disingenuous, at best. There are worthier candidates who don't have the luxury of being named Manning.

You said: his numbers are the same as Brady's were then

They really are nowhere near the same. Brady, before last year, had 1 4000 yard season. Manning now has 9. But because he didn't put up 4500 and 32 td's, it's a down year? Brady has had some stastical categories that match what Manning didi this season, but you have to pluck it from different seasons. I think Brady's '0 season was his other 4000 yarder, but really, Manning's year this year would be considered a top tier year for Brady.

As far as Rivers, I believe his team is 0-5 versus playoff teams (Pitt,Indy,Atlanta,Fins,Panthers). Both Colts and Chargers were 3-4 at one point. One finished 8-8, the other finished 12-4. The 9 game stretch by Manning was more impressive than any other qb this season. How valuable can you be at 8-8? Volek could have led that team to 8-8. Chargers have a better run game to help Rivers out. Their D was also no where near as bad on things like 3rd down conversions. PM was obviously hobbled to start out of the gate, and look at the record. Even though statistically, this was not PM's best, I think this year is his most deserved year (relative to his other two). That is not to say there are not other viable candidates, there are. But as far as quarterbacks, as one article stated today, many of them today manage their teams, few lead their teams. And this is what PM did, lead his team (moreso, IMO, than any other year). Edge is gone, Harrison is down, but PM has not missed a beat. A lot of people like to give Marino big ups, because he supposedly never had a running game, well Colts' were 31st in the league this year. Didn't matter. IMO, PM is MOST DESERVING, and it sounds like the majority of writers agree. We'll see though.

Land

Slide

:cool:

If Brady puts up these numbers next season, leads team to 12 wins, with 4 double digit comebacks, you'd be screaming for him to win it. Take the glasses off. This is as deserving a year as any he has had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back