PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seahawks Blogger for Tacoma newspaper calls out Casale and Patriots.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
5 Rings for Brady!! said:
I think this thread has moved beyond the Denver game, perhaps you should check out what has been said. The Denver game was mentioned as a recent example of the NFL screwing up officiating, which you confirmed. And then Kraft and Casale both whined about the officiating, which was evident in Casale's post which got all the attention.

I read everything that was said in this thread, perhaps you should should not assume things?

These were the Denver comments in the thread.

BradyManny2344 said:
It's also why the NFL won't comment on the Pats-Denver game. Everyone knows there were some brutal calls in that, but the NFL simply avoids it.

We seriously could be talking about the 4 time superbowl champion Pats, the first team to EVER win three straight. We could have beaten the Steelers at home, and the Seahawks had a terrible superbowl. But instead we do some harmless whining after the fact, because its all that we can do. Bob Kraft complained as much as he could about the officiating, without going completely overboard. Nobody was happy about it.

But now after going back and putting names to the comments I see why you took such an approach to enlighten me. So I guess when I stated "But every one of them came immediately after a Patriot Turnover, take away the Patriots mistake and you eliminate the bad call!" it was inadvertently pointed at your similar comments.

Now the question that was being asked was about how the NFL handles the media. My opinion is that they are micro-managing a lot of things, and I feel like some things are like a dog and pony show; and not straight, honest sports these days.

Do you have an opinion?

Thanks for explaining to me the topic of this thread, because until now I was stumbling in the dark, but I see clearly now thanks to your penlight's worth of illuminating guidance!

Last edited:
bresna said:
Except for the fact that one of those turnovers, the fumbled punt, was the result of a missed fair catch interference penalty. :)

I knew there was one I just couldn't remember which one didn't come after a turnover.

BradyManny2344 said:
....what does this guy care in the first place?
Because he's a Seahawks fan and most Seahawk fans feel they got Scrooo-ed by the refs in the SB. If an official website from any other team is willing to publicly state there are problems with NFL Reffing, its a big deal for Seahawk fans.

While the topic of the blog may be about how the NFL wants to control all media output, I think the more important point was made by Casale: The NFL does think we are idiots.

They have the NFL network and web site to put out the official version of what happened, and they then fine or intimidate anyone connected to the game when they speak the truth.

They had all-star ref teams (made up of individually scored members) a few years ago and it was a disaster. So then they said they would grade the whole team as one and the best teams would do the playoffs and work together as a team (so the refs were used to working with each other). Then this year without really making a big deal, they decided to change it by saying the any rookie ref, or ref with less than a certain number of years experience would not get to ref a playoff game, even if he was on a high scoring team.

As far as I am concerned the FBI should be investigating. If the whole ref team went as one because their team was the highest scoring (for being the best) then the league couldn't dole out playoff assignments as rewards for doing their bidding - which to me means that the league very much had a hand in who won and who lost, by how the refs called a game (hello sports betting). That became hard when the whole team went to the playoffs. Now they can kick out those with less experience and put in guys who are brown-nose-ing and follow the league's guidance.

One thing Pierra talked about on the NFL network is how the refs are shown film of the teams for their game, and given points of emphasis to focus on. That is the same as the league saying this is how we want the game called. The smart ref who picks up on that and follows their lead is rewarded with a good score and assignment to the playoffs. The same NFL office hires the refs, grades their performance, and assigns them to games. The whole thing is rotten to the core. And the NFL thinks it can pretend nothing is wrong if it doesn't admit it.

Last edited by a moderator:
arrellbee said:
Well, certainly each to his own opinion. I happen to disagree strongly with everything you have said and each and every detailed point. So there is no point in typing comments - my opinion is just the reverse of yours in every case. Se la vie.
You thought the officiating in the playoffs was dead on? You are the first person I've ever heard say that.

Patchick makes an excellent point which should take this thread to another level, i.e. how much control should the NFL have over the media. I mean, it is starting to be like Big Brother. No sideline reporting by any local media, total control over all NFL images, censoring people at websites, when possible. And major damage control when it comes to shoddy officiating. I've never been remotely impressed with Mike Periera's dog and pony show on the NFL Network. The whole credibility of that network has to be in question, at this point.
The NFL does two things media related which are annoying to the fans but I consider one far worse than the other.

1 ) It HEAVILY regulates access to highlights and sideline reporting in order to make sure the only people who get such access are those that pay for it. For example, we won't be seeing any Sunday highlights by any station other than NBC this year.

2) It REALLY comes down heavy on those that portray them in a negative light. Remember that shows on ESPN about a football team that portrayed some of the not-so-good aspects of football...? That show didn't use NFL logos or trademarks so officially there wasn't a damn thing the NFL could do about it. BUT they really leaned on ESPN to cancel that show.

I consider #2 to be the more egregious offense since that is more like actual censorship and not just resticting access.

spacecrime said:
You thought the officiating in the playoffs was dead on? You are the first person I've ever heard say that.
Well, since BradyManny2344 comments were all about Pereira and the NFL whitewashing refereeing mistakes, your comment doesn't make a whole lot of sense. What I didn't agree with was that Pereira and the NFL try to whitewash or spin the refereeing.

patriotsrule said:
I don't know for sure but this guy may have an axe to grind with the Patriots. My brother lives in Seattle and is a big-time Seahawks fan. A couple of years ago when they played here and it was close in the 4th quarter, there was a somewhat questionable pass interference call late in the game that the Seahawks didn't get. Well, my brother and I argued about the call and Monday he sent me a story written by this guy who obviously sided with him. It was about how it's hard for teams to win in Foxborough today much like it used to be for teams to win in RFK with the Redsins because the Pats are the NFL's darlings at the moment and they want to see their poster boy (Tom Brady) on top. This may be his way of using the Patriots to make his point about team web sites. If it is, I say it's probably backfiring because if PFW doesn't get in any trouble, this is great publicity for them. Anyways, it may be a case of a reporter with an agenda.

I don't understand why so many posters in this thread are complaining about the Seahawks blogger. If you read his post he never disagreed with Casale's thesis that NFL refereeing, particularly in the postseason, is a sham. Like any pro- First Amendment American, he did however express concern that Patriots.com censored Casele's opinion on the refs. That's what the blogger's post was about.

It is also difficult to comprehend why the NFL wants such an iron fist on the media coverage of its operation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Patsfan-NH and Qui Gon: I agree with what you guys are saying.

Last edited:
spacecrime said:

Ray Charles must be in the building...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents