PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scott Wright @ Draftcountdown.com has us taking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wooten 34 3/4
Odrick 34
Carrington 33 1/4

Thanks. Carrington seems to have the same arm length as Vollmer.

I still have doubts about Wootton's ability to pack on the pounds, and I'm afraid of using #22 overall on somebody of Odrick's PSU pedigree.

BTW, do you use another link besides Draft Countdown & NFLDraftScout (at CBSSports.com) for measurements? I can't find anything on nfl.com detailing measurements, height/weights, times, etc.; just some #s from the combine's "Top Performers".

Thanks. Carrington seems to have the same arm length as Vollmer.

I still have doubts about Wootton's ability to pack on the pounds, and I'm afraid of using #22 overall on somebody of Odrick's PSU pedigree.

BTW, do you use another link besides Draft Countdown & NFLDraftScout (at CBSSports.com) for measurements? I can't find anything on nfl.com detailing measurements, height/weights, times, etc.; just some #s from the combine's "Top Performers".

I think that Light has 33" arms. But I've never seen an official measurement on Vollmer's arms. Does anybody have a link?

Wootton was supposed to workout today, I'm waiting for someone to post notes.
Here you go :

Live Pro-Day Results 3/9: Oklahoma, Northwestern, SFA

"Defensive end Corey Wootton ran for scouts today during the Northwestern pro-day.

His times in the 40 ranged from 4.93-to-4.95 seconds. His ten times after each forty were 1.66-seconds and 1.71-seconds respectively. Wootton’s short shuttle time was 4.28 seconds while his three cone time was an unofficial 7-seconds flat, a terrific mark. His other marks included a vertical jump of 32-inches and 9’0’’ in the broad. Wootton measured 6060/272lbs to start the day. He did not bench today and stood on his combine mark.

He was later put through defensive end and linebacker drills. The consensus is Wootto, looked smooth."

I think he'll be gone before 2a, I think we'd need to use our #1, not necessarily at #22, to get him. There's just not a lot of guys his size in this draft, I assume he can get up to at least 290, if not 300-310, with that frame.

Last edited:
#22 Jared Odrick, DE, Penn State
#44 Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
#47 Ricky Sapp, OLB, Clemson
#52 Mardy Gilyard, WR, Cincinnati

A solid mock overall with useful comments throughout. Thoughts?

Gresham is not making it to 44

try again I do not like Penn State players screw Ordick. look for a DE next yr or when teams start cutting players

Gresham is not making it to 44

try again I do not like Penn State players screw Ordick. look for a DE next yr or when teams start cutting players

I am scared of Ordick too. Gresham might not be there at #44 but 26 year old Greg Olsen and his 70 NFL receptions will be.
DW Toys

Last edited:
Here you go :

"Defensive end Corey Wootton ran for scouts today during the Northwestern pro-day.

His times in the 40 ranged from 4.93-to-4.95 seconds. His ten times after each forty were 1.66-seconds and 1.71-seconds respectively. Wootton’s short shuttle time was 4.28 seconds while his three cone time was an unofficial 7-seconds flat, a terrific mark. His other marks included a vertical jump of 32-inches and 9’0’’ in the broad. Wootton measured 6060/272lbs to start the day. He did not bench today and stood on his combine mark.

He was later put through defensive end and linebacker drills. The consensus is Wootton looked smooth."

I think he'll be gone before 2a, I think we'd need to use our #1, not necessarily at #22, to get him. There's just not a lot of guys his size in this draft, I assume he can get up to at least 290, if not 300-310, with that frame.

Thanks for the link.

Wootton has a long way to go from 272 to 3-4 DE of the NEP. I still see him as more of a 4-3 DE, anyway.

Thanks for the link.

Wootton has a long way to go from 272 to 3-4 DE of the NEP. I still see him as more of a 4-3 DE, anyway.
Sounds like teams were looking at him as an OLB too, a McGinnest type. He's big and quick enough now, I just wonder if he'll grow out of that in 3-4 years.

I also found this:
ProFootballWeekly.com - Arm length, hand quickness dictate OLT success

Interestingly Vollmer has the same length as Jordan Gross of the Panthers and only 1/2 an inch shorter than Joe Thomas. As Nawrocki, good technique can make up for arm length.

Terrific story by Nawrocki; thanks for the link.

It kinda confirms what I've always known: that Matt Light is not, nor ever was, a Pro-Bowl-caliber LT. Instead, he's always been just a servicable LT made to look better by his HOF QB.

And there's no doubt that Mayo's our best LB; but if I had a do-over, there's also no doubt that the best choice would be Clady. Lucky donkeys.

The sack number for Light is after the 2008 season where Matt Cassel gave up a lot of sacks by himself. None of the OL looked good in the stats that year.

Nawrocki specifically says that good technique can make up for arm length. The Patriots go for linemen with technique - Vollmer has stubby arms for his size, but I don't see you calling him a bust. Light has excellent technique but can't handle the speed rushers as well, Vollmer seems to latch onto them slightly better.

The sack number for Light is after the 2008 season where Matt Cassel gave up a lot of sacks by himself. None of the OL looked good in the stats that year.

Nawrocki specifically says that good technique can make up for arm length. The Patriots go for linemen with technique - Vollmer has stubby arms for his size, but I don't see you calling him a bust. Light has excellent technique but can't handle the speed rushers as well, Vollmer seems to latch onto them slightly better.
Now, now, Capt. Downer treats depression by bringing us all down to his level, it's just his way to give back to the community. :p

Well, it's better than this one, imo.

Draft Predictions: Ten Options for the Four Picks in Top 60 for the Patriots

22rd Overall Pick – Brandon Graham (Jerry Hughes, Tim Tebow)

44th Overall Pick – Rob Gronkowski (Tim Tebow, Andre Roberts)

47th Overall Pick – Tim Tebow (Andre Roberts, Michael Johnson)

53rd Overall Pick – Andre Roberts (Michael Johnson, Dexter McCluster)

Here you go :

I don't see him being able to keep the extra 20 lbs on without losing that quickness. Maybe he could lose 10 and play OLB, but he'd be relatively unathletic for a rush LB, and as a significant conversion would probably be off the board before he'd be of value to the NEP.

Last edited:
Now, now, Capt. Downer treats depression by bringing us all down to his level, it's just his way to give back to the community. :p

It's kinda like - how was it said? - spreading the wealth around.

I don't see him being able to keep the extra 20 lbs on without losing that quickness. Maybe he could lose 10 and play OLB, but he'd be relatively unathletic for a rush LB, and as a significant conversion would probably be off the board before he'd be of value to the NEP.

I completely agree, for exactly the reasons given.

I'd prefer:
22 JARED ODRICK, DE, PENN STATE
44 GOLDEN TATE, WR, NOTRE DAME
47 RICKY SAPP, OLB, CLEMSON
53 EVERSON GRIFFEN, DE, SOUTHERN CAL

I think can still get TE 4th, 6th and 7th rounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick