PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scott Wright @ Draftcountdown.com has us taking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brandon Marshall does make this team better in 2010, if the cost of acquiring him (a 1st-rounder) and esp. the cost of keeping him are not included. And remember, he is one more "domestic incident" away from a half-year's suspension, at least.

The more I think about it, the more I like signing TO to a one-year deal for much, much less than what Marshall would be seeking as a UFA in 2011.

I am torn on Marshall. Do you think it would cost us our 1st. McDaniels
is not getting too many bites on him and I don't think he wants him back.
Would not spend a 1st on such a diva, but he has great talent. Our 2nd
or bust.

March 26th Update

#22 TE Jermaine Gresham, Oklahoma
#44 WR Golden Tate, Notre Dame
#47 OLB Ricky Sapp, Clemson
#53 DE Corey Wootton, Northwestern

Prefer the previous mock to this one, although if we took Odrick instead of Gresham at 22 we could still get Gronkowski at 53. That would give us Odrick, Tate, Sapp and Gronkowski which I'd be elated with!

March 26th Update

Prefer the previous mock to this one, although if we took Odrick instead of Gresham at 22 we could still get Gronkowski at 53. That would give us Odrick, Tate, Sapp and Gronkowski which I'd be elated with!
I like the current one, I have little interest in a TE with a bad back; it's just asking for trouble. Gresham isn't my preferred pick at #22 but as a group I like this four quite a bit.

Nice to see people having us taking Wooton over Odrick. I really think BB would prefer a tall guy with Seymour upside at RDE instead of just another Ty Warren.

Nice to see people having us taking Wooton over Odrick. I really think BB would prefer a tall guy with Seymour upside at RDE instead of just another Ty Warren.
"Just" another Ty Warren? I'd kill for "another" Ty Warren and the way he dominates his side of the line. It speaks to the number of good DTs in the NFL and the tunnel vision of Pro-Bowl/All-Pro voting that a man like Ty hasn't been voted to the Pro Bowl or All-Pro - there is no question in my mind that he plays at that level.

I agree Wootton is an interesting target, I would like to see some Pro-Day numbers for him, just to see how he compares athletically with his peers.

"Just" another Ty Warren? I'd kill for "another" Ty Warren and the way he dominates his side of the line.
I'd take another Warren at #22 for sure - I've started reading inconsistent reports about Odrick not being a true two gap anchor type, though, and more of a stunter in a quicker defense and that has me wavering on Odrick some.

I'd take another Warren at #22 for sure - I've started reading inconsistent reports about Odrick not being a true two gap anchor type, though, and more of a stunter in a quicker defense and that has me wavering on Odrick some.
It's a projection since PSU doesn't use two-gapping, much like Seymour and I believe Warren, but the tools appear to be there. I'm comfortable with bypassing Odrick and targeting a later prospect to develop in rotation with Wright.

You may have said elsewhere, Box, but would you take Carrington or Wooten?

You may have said elsewhere, Box, but would you take Carrington or Wooten?
Wootton is slightly ahead of Carrington, it's the old numbers game - 16 career sacks, 8 career PD, 3 career FF, and 4 career BK (at a higher level) vs. Carrington's 10 sacks, 2 PD, 1 FF, 1 BK. Production is trump.

March 26th Update

no to thrilled with Sapp or Wooton but who knows.

Wootton is slightly ahead of Carrington, it's the old numbers game - 16 career sacks, 8 career PD, 3 career FF, and 4 career BK (at a higher level) vs. Carrington's 10 sacks, 2 PD, 1 FF, 1 BK. Production is trump.

According to ESPN - Carrington has 21 sacks to Wootton's 19......

:)

#22 Jared Odrick, DE, Penn State
#44 Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
#47 Ricky Sapp, OLB, Clemson
#52 Mardy Gilyard, WR, Cincinnati

A solid mock overall with useful comments throughout. Thoughts?

Man, that would just about perfect for the pats. It would fill just about every big hole the pats have. I'm not as high on Gilyard as others, but at 52 thats pretty good value.

March 26th Update

Here's the link, beginning with #17:
Draft Countdown - 2010 NFL Mock Draft

I absolutely hate the Gresham pick.
I'm OK with Tate (or Damian Williams or Gilyard) & Sapp (or Koa Misi).
I still have doubts about Wootton's stoutness at 3-4 DE; he looks more like a 4-3 DE to me. A lot will ride on Alex Carrington's Pro Day on April 8th. If he can get his 10-yard split closer to 1.65 secs, then I'd prefer Carrington's size/motor to Wootton's.

Last edited:
March 26th Update

I could live with this draft.

I am not a huge Gresham fan, and can not see BB using a 1st round pick on a kid that has no current tape, but Gresham is a huge red zone force.

Tate is the #1 WR on my draft board, even with a poor 3 cone score. (PS: If we take Ben Tate in the fourth, it would be a great start to monopolizing the name)

Sapp is the only 3-4 OLB that I can see BB being interested in because there is film of Sapp rushing and dropping into coverage. There is film of Sapp playing with his hand in the dirt and film of him standing up. I think Sapp has a lot of technique to learn, especially when it comes to disengaging from blocks, but he is sufdden and has extensive tape.

Wotten will need a year in the Woicik school of S&C, but could see limited time in the base defense in his rookie year. More likely a starter in year two or three.

"Just" another Ty Warren? I'd kill for "another" Ty Warren and the way he dominates his side of the line. It speaks to the number of good DTs in the NFL and the tunnel vision of Pro-Bowl/All-Pro voting that a man like Ty hasn't been voted to the Pro Bowl or All-Pro - there is no question in my mind that he plays at that level.

I agree Wootton is an interesting target, I would like to see some Pro-Day numbers for him, just to see how he compares athletically with his peers.

Has Northwestern had its Pro Day yet?

Here's the link, beginning with #17:
Draft Countdown - 2010 NFL Mock Draft

I absolutely hate the Gresham pick.
I'm OK with Tate (or Damian Williams or Gilyard) & Sapp (or Koa Misi).
I still have doubts about Wootton's stoutness at 3-4 DE; he looks more like a 4-3 DE to me. A lot will ride on Alex Carrington's Pro Day on April 8th. If he can get his 10-yard split closer to 1.65 secs, then I'd prefer Carrington's size/motor to Wootton's.

10 yards splits don;t usually help 3-4 DE's with short arms (which is what Carrington would be) from being manhandled by OT's.

I could live with this draft.

I am not a huge Gresham fan, and can not see BB using a 1st round pick on a kid that has no current tape, but Gresham is a huge red zone force.

Tate is the #1 WR on my draft board, even with a poor 3 cone score. (PS: If we take Ben Tate in the fourth, it would be a great start to monopolizing the name)

Sapp is the only 3-4 OLB that I can see BB being interested in because there is film of Sapp rushing and dropping into coverage. There is film of Sapp playing with his hand in the dirt and film of him standing up. I think Sapp has a lot of technique to learn, especially when it comes to disengaging from blocks, but he is sufdden and has extensive tape.

Wotten will need a year in the Woicik school of S&C, but could see limited time in the base defense in his rookie year. More likely a starter in year two or three.

Didn't Koa Misi also play in both 2- & 3-point stances?

And do you really feel that Wootton can put on the requisite 15-20 lbs needed to contribute here at 3-4 DE?

10 yards splits don;t usually help 3-4 DE's with short arms (which is what Carrington would be) from being manhandled by OT's.

I tend to agree. I was hoping he'd show some more agility and explosion and go to Elephant training school, but I'm afraid right now he's a undersized, narrow-based DE with dinosaur arms.

He tweaked an ankle at the combine, so maybe he'll look better at his personal pro day next month. If he can drop 15 lbs and get some explosiveness in his movement, I'd take a look at him in the late-second range, but he might just be destined to play 4-3 DE.

10 yards splits don't usually help 3-4 DEs with short arms (which is what Carrington would be) from being manhandled by OTs.

How short are they, esp. compared to Odrick's & Wootton's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes