PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schlereth: I would be shocked if Denver wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
When a 6 seed upsets a 1 seed on the road, that is shocking.

When a 1 seed beats a 2 seed at home, that shouldn't be shocking.

It's hyperbole. A more honest take from him if he truly believes the Pats will win is if he said he would be mildly surprised if Denver wins

I know some here may be uncomfortable with the fact that everyone is picking NE and giving Denver no chance. I know "any given Sunday" and all that nonsense ... but sometimes it's just that simple - the favorite, the better team, and the team that has the most favorable match ups steamrolls the underdog.

I was far more cautious going into SB42, for example. Even though we were undefeated, there were clear match up advantages in favor of the NYG, and our performance was diminishing as opposed to peaking at the right time. I was more cautious going into the 2012 AFCCG because that was a team that had played us tough, and we were missing Gronk.

I feel as optimistic as I did going into last year's AFCCG vs the Colts. Barring injury, I would definitely be shocked if we didn't win this one comfortably.

Only way Pats lose is if 2 key players get hurt.

That stadium.

That noise.

That air.

It's time for THIS Patriots team to prove it is not their kryptonite.

Team vs. Team - - I feel good. But that effing stadium (and the one before it) has been kryptonite for the Pats.

And/or turnovers at crucial points.

Or if we get blatant non calls called against us. I know some people scoff at the refs deciding games but I truly believe that when calls are one sided it plays a big part in wins and losses. Patriots need to be very smart and disciplined on Sunday !!

Of course.

Until a team has demonstrated that they can stop JE11, Gronk, DA, a relatively healthy defense, TB12 and BB all cranking away over 60 minutes, I'll take my chances with crowd noise and the refs.

I agree with the others that the 'ref factor' is probably the scariest thing about the game. Whether we'd like to admit it or not, there is a home team bias when it comes to ref's decisions (yes, I'm saying that applies to us when we are the home team as well), but I feel like the calls are even more skewed when Peyton Manning is involved. There were times when it used to feel like refs had the mentality of 'oh, manning's pass was incomplete? there must have been some kind of interference, I'll throw the flag'.

We as Pats fans know all too well that it's not necessarily the penalty yardage that is the killer, but the PLAYS it takes away. For example, the Pats could have a 30 yard gain negated by a OPI call against Gronk. The scorebook will say 10 yards of penalties but it will really be 40 yards of penalty (with a liklier punt outcome).

As a whole I don't think the officiating for the PIT-DEN game was too bad, but there were two head scratchers for me.......

1.) There is a phantom DPI call on third down that kept a drive alive. Those kills me the most. A punt situation to new life, those might as well be as critical as a turnover. For Denver in this game manning still had to punt b/c of his inability to lead an offense these days.

2.) There was one play in which a Steelers receiver caught a ball and began to run after the catch. He had already ran with teh ball ten yards when teh ref decided to throw the flag...what was the call you ask? "Illegal contact on the defense"........the ref threw and illegal contact on the defense well after seeing the ball was caught and that a first down was obtained. Mabye I'm a conspiracy theorist here, but I feel like the only point of throwing the flag was to make them look impartial. "I can't be one sided so I'll call penalties against teh Broncos only when I know they'll be declined."

There is no overlooking the fact that two MAJOR questionable calls were made in the first matchup this year between the Broncos and Pats (Gronk OPI and Chung holding). Those calls without a doubt played a critical role in the outcome of the game. I just hope stuff like this doesn't happen Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back