PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter on Lewis: No swelling yet (good) but ACL loose (bad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was putting full weight on it walking on the sidelines. I guarantee you if it was a ACL or MCL tear he would not be doing that. He would have been limping and favoring his better knee.

It is what it is whatever it is

I agree on this point as well. I just watched the replay, and was paying careful attention not the injury itself but rather to way he walked off the field (I must have watched that part 5-6 times). He was walking off unassisted and without any apparent limp. If I didn't know any better, judging by his walk alone, I'd say there's nothing wrong with him. A torn/loose ACL would have him unable to put any weight on that knee, and would have had him either carted or assisted off the field.

Put me in the ‘cautiously optimistic’ camp.

A torn/loose ACL would have him unable to put any weight on that knee, and would have had him either carted or assisted off the field.
Brady tore his ACL and MCL and walked off the field in 2008. Somewhat gingerly and with a slight limp but he definitely put weight on the knee. Video in spoilers, since it's a nightmare to watch, still.

I agree on this point as well. I just watched the replay, and was paying careful attention not the injury itself but rather to way he walked off the field (I must have watched that part 5-6 times). He was walking off unassisted and without any apparent limp. If I didn't know any better, judging by his walk alone, I'd say there's nothing wrong with him. A torn/loose ACL would have him unable to put any weight on that knee, and would have had him either carted or assisted off the field.

Put me in the ‘cautiously optimistic’ camp.

I've been walking around with a torn ACL since 1989. (Skiing in Zermatt, Switzerland).
I had 2 choices at the time. Come back to the USA for surgery and thereby drop out of an Italian university for a semester, or stay and finish school. I stayed, and only the swelling made it difficult to walk on. But the ligament never healed.

I've been walking around with a torn ACL since 1989. (Skiing in Zermatt, Switzerland).
I had 2 choices at the time. Come back to the USA for surgery and thereby drop out of an Italian university for a semester, or stay and finish school. I stayed, and only the swelling made it difficult to walk on. But the ligament never healed.
Logan Mankins is that you? :eek:

Brady tore his ACL and MCL and walked off the field in 2008. Somewhat gingerly and with a slight limp but he definitely put weight on the knee. Video in spoilers, since it's a nightmare to watch, still.

Brady was clearly hurt, just looking at the way he walked off. Obviously, every person is different.

But like I said: I'm cautiously optimistic. Right now, no news is good news (in a way).

Rajon Rondo tore his ACL while playing for the Celtics and kept playing in the game. Later of course it swelled up, but the point is that the immediate pain/discomfort/tolerance/ability to walk is not the same for everyone.

After the kids went to bed I must have watched the Lewis injury 10 times. (I know.....pathetic). I was just trying to find that glimmer of hope to make me feel better I guess.

It didn't seem as bad as Welker's IMO. WWs just collapsed. Lewis' just bent really weird.

With that said, Lewis' didn't look great. He could easily have a torn ACL. I have no idea.

Hoping for the best.

If Lewis is out for the rest of the season but back for the playoffs, that would be great news.

@benvolin: "My hunch is if Dion Lewis had a definitive season-ending injury, it wouldve come out by now. Seems like #Patriots are weighing options"

@benvolin: "My hunch is if Dion Lewis had a definitive season-ending injury, it wouldve come out by now. Seems like #Patriots are weighing options"
You need to have inactives for every game anyway. If he has a shot at being back in January, you keep him on the roster. Not much to weigh there IMO.

Yeah so tough to know. Dion could have been walking and when the camera cut away fell down. Just a lot of information we dont have.

Diddnt seem major compared to some other somewhat major things we have seen but every player is different and you just dont know. If he is on IR gotta Next Man Up this. That is the Pats way.

Perhaps the Pats are being told that DL could be avail for the playoffs. BUT, if you sit him out the rest of the season there is much better chance for a 100% recovery instead of taxing the thing in Jan.

Rajon Rondo tore his ACL while playing for the Celtics and kept playing in the game. Later of course it swelled up, but the point is that the immediate pain/discomfort/tolerance/ability to walk is not the same for everyone.
He actually finished that game and came to the arena for the next game and was getting ready to play when he decided to get it checked out. Only then did they find out it was an ACL tear.

Good points being brought up. Another option is DL plays though it if its not too severe and fixes it in the off season. Shoot up him and get him out there and perhaps use him sparingly.

We've seen it before.

no he needed help to get off the field

Can't really compare the two because Rondo is an alien. Oversized eyes. Head shaped like a triangle. Fingers as long as pencils. Awkward personality and trouble associating with humans.....

You need to have inactives for every game anyway. If he has a shot at being back in January, you keep him on the roster. Not much to weigh there IMO.
They could be considering timetables, severity of injury, etc. His point there is that a slamdunk IR may have been announced already. (Which, by the way, not sure I agree with, it being 11 in the morning. Just saying that's his point.)

Last edited:

With also a potential Bye-Week January is two Months away please BB do not pull the quick IR trigger if theres a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST