PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter on Lewis: No swelling yet (good) but ACL loose (bad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he had lost it even before his suspension, tell you the truth.
There were rumblings in 2013 that he lost his burst.

Quite frankly, if he still had that burst I bet BAL keeps him.

James White-wouldn't be a shocker.
Scott Chandler -Poor production, but unlikely due to depth.

There is 0% chance of these guys going. One of the WRs is not a bad place to look with LaFell rounding into shape and Martin on the PS.

Dion Lewis’ knee injury will put my 17 years of NFL video study to the test. By video, the Patriots RB appears to tear his ACL. Some early reports are saying the ACL was sparred and only the MCL injured.

Lewis walked off the field under his own power; however, players with isolated ACL tears are known to do that as well (Jordy Nelson from this preseason). Other reports say Lewis had no swelling, but swelling in an isolated ACL typically occurs overnight and not immediately. The reports of “ACL loose” is a bad sign as one can strengthen around a knee with rehab but ACL laxity doesn’t tighten up without surgery.

The clinical exams for ACL or MCL are very accurate. In my 17 years as a NFL team physician, there was never an ACL tear or MCL tear where we didn’t know the diagnosis before leaving the field based on physical examination; however, it is routine for teams to say they are waiting for the MRI. The MRI is done already and the team already knows before the MRI anyways. The question is when will the public find out. Often the delay is to allow the team to make a roster move.

The early reports seem to conflict with the video impression of an ACL tear. This will be a good test of the reliability of video diagnosis.
Monday Morning MD: Big Ben with Lisfranc injury | National Football Post

Last edited:
Lewis has been incredible this season and it would obviously suck to lose him, but just a reminder: we did pretty well without him vs the Jets, who had the #1 ranked defense in points and yards when we played them.

He was putting full weight on it walking on the sidelines. I guarantee you if it was a ACL or MCL tear he would not be doing that. He would have been limping and favoring his better knee.

It is what it is whatever it is

Didn't Brady walk off after the Pollard hit?

Any others?
I have seen other say this. Its really not poor at all. He is the #2 TE behind a guy who is always on the field. Also Williams is a much better blocker so he will get on the field before Chandler does in several packages.

His number are on par with last year (also taking into account he is not the feature TE anymore) and it is reflectred in his targets. He has gotten half the targets he did last year.

Not sure why peeps thing SC was gonna come in here and put up Buffalo numbers in this O.

Plus he is a great mismatch on 3 TE sets and our only backup for Gronk. He is not going anywhere.

Didn't Brady walk off after the Pollard hit?

Yup, but really slow and obviously in pain. Hell, Slater had two guys help him off the field.

It will be what it will be.

There were rumblings in 2013 that he lost his burst.

Quite frankly, if he still had that burst I bet BAL keeps him.
No question they would. Compared to some other guys playing now? He's sorry, his fiance/wife is standing by him...if he was worth anything, he'd be playing. No moral stands going on here.

It's tough to see a young player like this go down after over achieving everybody's expectations.

I have seen other say this. Its really not poor at all. He is the #2 TE behind a guy who is always on the field. Also Williams is a much better blocker so he will get on the field before Chandler does in several packages.

His number are on par with last year (also taking into account he is not the feature TE anymore) and it is reflectred in his targets. He has gotten half the targets he did last year.

Not sure why peeps thing SC was gonna come in here and put up Buffalo numbers in this O.

Plus he is a great mismatch on 3 TE sets and our only backup for Gronk. He is not going anywhere.
Chandler's been disappointing.

With all of the injuries we've had I've been thinking about where the roster spots can come from.

Without mentioning any safeties, since that is an obvious area that is dependent on how BB values their ST value, we've got:

Sealver Silinga
Aaron Dobson
Keshon Martin - IR?
James White-wouldn't be a shocker.

Any others?

Chandler is way better than Hooman was and even Hooman wouldn't be cut for this. No way.
Dobson? No. We need WR depth and WRs cannot come in and pick this offense up within half a season.
Silinga? He's a solid player, definitely good depth.
James White? Too early to cut him.

Martin is the only one possible.

not really, but whatev.......

other factors have emerged such as the use of williams due to the issues of the OL

Chandler just hasn't gotten the looks one might expect. his play has not been a liability

So now we diagnose based on replay booths? SMH....
If he can DX lewis's injury by looking at a video, what would he have said about Tre Jacksons knee after watching it get bent? There have been other players in the past that looked like they would be out for the year looking at the video of their knees bending sideways, but they have gotten up and played. So i call BS.

If he can DX lewis's injury by looking at a video, what would he have said about Tre Jacksons knee after watching it get bent? There have been other players in the past that looked like they would be out for the year looking at the video of their knees bending sideways, but they have gotten up and played. So i call BS.
Agreed. Not saying he couldn't be right, but diagnosing based on video is a new level of asshatness....

To some...I could see that. But still, quite a leap to from disappointing to potentially cutable. Quantam leap in fact

FYI target per yard Scott Chander is ahead of his pace last year. And he was the #1 TE in Buffalo.

And the team is 8-0 and SC does other things we dont always see nor are reflected in the stats.

Agreed. Not saying he couldn't be right, but diagnosing based on video is a new level of asshatness....
Maybe its that poster here who was judging by Dion's face. Its the same person!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST