PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Has Heard Speculation Colts might have deflated the footballs

This is where things like logic and reason come into play. If I hold two balls in each hand, one at 12 PSI, and one at 10 PSI, and get asked if I can tell the difference, could I?

Sure.

If I slip a 10.5 PSI ball into Tony Romo's hands in an undisclosed quarter at one point during the football season, then ask him after the season ends which quarter he played with a 10.5 PSI football, could he tell me?

I doubt it.

Once again, it wasn't difficult to see through the weak propaganda of ESPN idiots.

Not. That. Clever.
Besides, what does any of that have to do with the belief that the Patriots deflated footballs?
Whether or not you believe someone could feel the pressure in the ball, it was being reported that Tom Brady liked the ball at the lower end, and 11 of 12 were 2 psi under.
The general public overwhelming believed at the time Rice made the comment that the Patriots had cheated.

I think its very reasonable that some people could tell and others could not.
I don't understand how it becomes a paranoid conspiracy theory that everyone is out to get the Patriots.

There have been many people on both sides of the 'feel test'.

Dude… The "feel test" is bogus. Tom Brady wasn't given two footballs and asked to use the one at 12.5 PSI. He was handed a game ball in bad weather and expected to do what he's been doing for well over a decade, which is run out and play with it. There was no "feel test." You cannot see why that was stupid?

The human eye cannot tell the difference between a white and a slight off-white if the two comparisons are far enough apart. Only when they are put directly next to one another can the difference be seen.

It's similar with the footballs.

No, Tony Romo would not have been able to look back in hindsight, having no idea someone was going to slip a 10.5 PSI football into his hands, and tell me which quarter he was using one.

The ESPN example was bogus and laughable.

Last edited:
Besides, what does any of that have to do with the belief that the Patriots deflated footballs?
Whether or not you believe someone could feel the pressure in the ball, it was being reported that Tom Brady liked the ball at the lower end, and 11 of 12 were 2 psi under.
The general public overwhelming believed at the time Rice made the comment that the Patriots had cheated.

You're the one that brought it up as an apparent great example of the case that ESPN was making lol.
It was honestly pitiful and anyone swayed by it should feel bad and try harder next time not to be so easily manipulated by people who aren't that bright to begin with.

You're the one that brought it up as an apparent great example of the case that ESPN was making lol.
It was honestly pitiful and anyone swayed by it should feel bad and try harder next time not to be so easily manipulated by people who aren't that bright to begin with.
You really need to read more carefully.

Let me recap.

I have said at the time Rice made his 11 of 12 comment, that it was pretty widely believed that the Patriots cheated.

You said only a moron wouldn't see through it.

I said that only a Patriot fan would care to look deeper.

YOU were the one who brought Brunell and Carter (and therefore feel test) up.
I said that they said they could tell the difference.

You seem to think that any sane person would know they made it up, were lying, hate the Patriots, and therefore all the reporting to date, which was overwhelming bad for the Patriots, is wrong and a lie, and they didn't do anything because holding a football in each hand and squeezing is a bad test.

To recap further, I am saying Rice echoed what over 80% of America felt when the 11 of 12 report was made public.

We seem to agree up to the point that you expect Rice to conduct a forensic examination before commenting on what has been reported (incorrectly in hindsight) as incontrovertible fact. I don't, and think that 98% of the commentary you see good or bad about anything is based upon accept the reports to date were correct.

Dude… The "feel test" is bogus. Tom Brady wasn't given two footballs and asked to use the one at 12.5 PSI. He was handed a game ball in bad weather and expected to do what he's been doing for well over a decade, which is run out and play with it. There was no "feel test." You cannot see why that was stupid?

The human eye cannot tell the difference between a white and a slight off-white if the two comparisons are far enough apart. Only when they are put directly next to one another can the difference be seen.

It's similar with the footballs.

No, Tony Romo would not have been able to look back in hindsight, having no idea someone was going to slip a 10.5 PSI football into his hands, and tell me which quarter he was using one.

The ESPN example was bogus and laughable.

Given that at the time, the common believe, or the accusation they were pursuing was that Brady likes the ball underinflated, that underinflation helps in the cold, and that Brady may have requested them to be deflated, and that Brady denied any knowledge and couldn't tell the ball was deflated, it is only natural that they would get 2 balls and see how they feel with different psi.
In fact dozens of people and news shows did it.

You need to take off the homer glasses, because they are blinding you from the real issue.
The league hung the Patriots out to dry by leaking wrong information and not correcting it. The shltstorm that follows is not the cause.

lol.

Again, it doesn't take a forensic investigation to see that Mark Brunnel holding up a flat football and an inflated one on national television, and boasting about how he could tell the difference, has absolutely nothing to do with the Patriots cheating. It's the equivalent of holding up a photograph and a fake caption and letting morons connect imaginary dots that aren't actually there.

To recap further, I am saying Rice echoed what over 80% of America felt when the 11 of 12 report was made public.

Fine - I'm comfortable saying that Rice is as moronic as 80% of the country who is both unaware that pressure is dependent on temperature, and who can only name one "scientist", which would be Mr. Bill Nye who has no degree further than a bachelor's.

Our country is largely science illiterate. Something like half the country thinks the Earth is only 6000 years old. I'm not saying everyone should break out their calculators and PV=nRT the thing to death, that's what scientists are for - but there should've been at least some skepticism over the assertion that a purported deflation was caused purely by letting air out, when nature provided and demanded an alternative.

Given that at the time, the common believe, or the accusation they were pursuing was that Brady likes the ball underinflated, that underinflation helps in the cold, and that Brady may have requested them to be deflated, and that Brady denied any knowledge and couldn't tell the ball was deflated, it is only natural that they would get 2 balls and see how they feel with different psi.
In fact dozens of people and news shows did it.

You need to take off the homer glasses, because they are blinding you from the real issue.
The league hung the Patriots out to dry by leaking wrong information and not correcting it. The shltstorm that follows is not the cause.

Again, more imaginary dots.

Tom Brady says years ago he likes balls around 12.5 PSI + X = Patriots cheating
Mark Brunnel can tell the difference between a flat ball and an inflated one + X = Patriots cheating.
Giant deflate gate graphic lit up like Christmas behind idiot talkshow hosts + X = Patriots cheating

I investigated it. I listened to Belichick and considered the reasoning.
If this were the Chiefs, I probably would not have cared, and not put much effort into dissecting the argument.

Carter and Brunnell said they could tell the difference in a 2 psi deflated ball. I'm sure I could too. With no horse in the race why would I doubt them.

You seem to think that Jerry Rice should feel Mark Brunell and Cris Carter who played about 30 years in the league combined are morons who know nothing, and of course even though it being reported that the balls were 2 psi under its all made up.

At the time, the Patriots were heavily guilty in the public eye.
You make it out as there was no doubt of innocence and only haters tried to lie that there wasn't, when in fact, public opinion was exactly the opposite.
Keep it coming, man. I haven't laughed this hard in a long time.

Slightly OT here but if Rice used Stickum wouldn't the refs know right away?? You hand them the ball and they notice the adhesive on the ball and then they'd check the receiver. I can't believe the refs would look the other way or that the DBs wouldn't notice it if it got on their uniform when he was blocking......

He is one that belongs on the list of who Patriots fans should be ripping heavily.

No.

Bob Kravitz wrote his story today on his television station's website at 11:30am and published it.

Jerry Rice waited until midnight Friday night (pacific time, 3am EST) to slip an 'I just researched something I already knew' apology that 'everyone did it anyhow'.

Rice is many levels below Kravitz.

Now you are way off the mark.

Are you seriously telling me that the normal thing to do would have been for people to conclude that Mortensen was lying and everyone going on TV to speak about it was lying and just doing it out of Patriot hate?
I think at the time, a poll showed over 80% believed the Patriots cheated.
Are you saying 80% of America is stupid? Or could it be that the information leaked made the Patriots look guilty as hell and the 'haters' (or a lot of them) were just following the evidence that was given to them?
I can't believe there's a poll that was taken that included every single American on this subject. That's a story in itself! Can you post a link?

Are you saying 80% of America is stupid?
Do you have to ask? Given the information that was out there at the time, it was FAR more likely that the balls were underinflated due to either procedural error by the referees, the weather, or some combination of the two. People that knew all the facts failed to draw this conclusion, I know this because I argued with them extensively. Once everything that could be said about it was, I told them "You're going to find out soon enough that the Patriots are innocent, and when you do, you have no choice but to take it as evidence that you are an idiot." And guess what? It turns out I was right.

That was part of what made me realize I needed to start putting my money where my mouth is and keeping track of my predictions. Anyone can claim in retrospect that they "knew all along" (which is exactly what I'm doing here). My friend introduced me to this site, which seems pretty cool: http://predictionbook.com/

Anyway, the point is Jerry Rice is stupid, but he's not any stupider than 90% of people, and he, like most, probably did legitimately think the Patriots were guilty.

He basically apologized for he believes Pats fans are too stupid to understand that he was calling for harsh penalties IF the Pats are found guilty. What a guy.
Oooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! If.............of course. Well, that's a horse (yup, pun intended) of a different color.

Sorry for the misunderstanding Bob and all that hullabaloo before that game they played recently, um, you know, the one out west......in Arizona. Big crowd. Missy Perry halftime show.

Oh, and apologies for clogging your twitter. Sorry. We got that wrong. (If) only we understood what you were trying to say.....infer.....conclude......

YOU were the one who brought Brunell and Carter (and therefore feel test) up.
I said that they said they could tell the difference.

You seem to think that any sane person would know they made it up, were lying, hate the Patriots...

No, any sane person would think that they were not doing the right test.

The right test would be if they did not know that they were going to be asked about inflation levels of footballs and you asked them to catch a football at 10 AM, another at 11 AM, another at noon, then another at 1PM.

Then the next day you quiz them...

one of those four footballs had a bad lace and ask them if they can identify which one it was...

one of those four footballs was newer and ask them if they can identify which one it was...

one of those four footballs was at a lower pressure and ask them if they can identify which one it was...

Sure any QB and just about any person can compare two footballs side by side and say which is newer, which has better lacing, and which has more pressure.

Quite obviously, though, such a test has very little relevance to the AFCCG and the under-pressurized intercepted football, as it compared to second half footballs, and Tom Brady's thoughts when asked about it a day later.

Last edited:
filled with torrents of mean tweets and general hatred toward your Humble Correspondent

~ kravitz

filled with torrents of mean tweets and general hatred toward your Humble Correspondent

~ kravitz

He's so excited, it's adorable.

People in a major league city like Boston are paying attention to him!

It's a cowpoke's dream come true.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back