PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Disciplinary action for Wilfork [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Commish is turning todays players into a bunch of wusses. It's sickening.

Back in the day players fixed issues with other players out on the field, like a man. They didn't need some power hungry commish looking to be judge, jury and executioner to do their dirty work for them.

Back in the day players fixed issues with other players out on the field, like a man. They didn't need some power hungry commish looking to be judge, jury and executioner to do their dirty work for them.

Yeah, I agree with what that Steeler (I think it was Polamalu) said a week or so ago. They're turning the NFL into flag football. Based on the number of injuries across the league, these fines seem to have a minimal effect, if any.

Last edited:
Wilfork has to calm down with the eyepoke thing and jabbing people through their helmets. I know he's a passionate player, but he has been crossing the line lately. If he shows that he's contrite he can probably get off with a warning. If he doesn't and he gets SUSPENDED, that's gonna really hurt our team.

Amen Bob - on the surface there isn't much to excuse Wilfolk for the plays mentioned. However what isn't mentioned is the stuff we never see being done TO the guy in the middle of the defense. Clearly Wilfolk as well as the rest of the guys who play in the middle have a LOT of stuff DONE TO them during the game that is never seen. That's why their are several NTs who have had incidents like the guy in TENN and Vince.

While I'd love to see NONE of this happen, the thing that worries me is that these minor flare ups are the way that the players themselves police the game. Back in my day (the early 70's) stuff like this wouldn't draw interest by the refs, coaches, players OR fans. But those were the days where OLB's could be cracked back on below the waist and pass rushers had 2 steps to hit the QB AFTER he threw the ball, and OLmen had to keep their hands on their chests, and head slaps were allowed. ;)

Bottom line, its likely that Vince will get a fine and suspension. However he COULD appeal it and play in the game this week....AND relations between the Pats and Denver organizations will CONTINUE to deteriorate.

Last edited:
What I'm not understanding is why people think this sort of thing is acceptable in any part. Is retaliation and revenge exacted in real life something which should be an example to young players?

Of course the players in the trenches get the crap kicked out of them. That's their job, that's professionalism.

Also, I've had a chance to watch some games from the 70's and you know what? Players were flagged for being unsportsmanlike back then, too.

Maybe the beards a lot of the players wore makes you guys remember things so 'overtly macho'?

Conrad Dobler would make Vince Wilfork look like "Rebbecca From Sunnybrook Farm"..

"I love my Patriots but I don't want any emotional types or violent types or retaliators!...they should all be the same automaton like,in control lobotomy cases showing zero emotion!"

Retaliation , revenge and bad behaviours exacted in real life FAR FAR outstrip ANYTHING ever seen on a football field...just turn on the 6 p.m. news any given night.Wouldn't you think THIS has a far more deleterious effect on young people? Columbine <<<<<< Vince Wilfork? Where is this all going anyway? YOU can show emotion, dance in the street,get together with your buddies and dance around and brag all day in you so choose....the NFL has outlawed any such behaviour as detrimental to the league. Where does it end? Sensitivity training and getting in touch with your feminine side for all players? No thanks. I don't turn on the NFL and expect a badminton match.

news after meeting?

What I'm not understanding is why people think this sort of thing is acceptable in any part. Is retaliation and revenge exacted in real life something which should be an example to young players?

Of course the players in the trenches get the crap kicked out of them. That's their job, that's professionalism.

Also, I've had a chance to watch some games from the 70's and you know what? Players were flagged for being unsportsmanlike back then, too.

Maybe the beards a lot of the players wore makes you guys remember things so 'overtly macho'?

It's acceptable because when offensive players try to deliberately end the Nose Tackle's career by setting him up and chopping his knees, the only possible answer to that problem is for the defender to settle the score.

What else do you want him to do?

Cry?

Re: Schefter:Disciplinary Action for wilfork

Yeah, Wilfork is an amazing player, but sometimes it appears like he doesn't think it all through... which is unfortunate because he seems like a good guy off he field.
I agree with you. As each incident has occurred, I have tried to rationalize them in my mind, but the pattern is clear. I believe Vince has a real problem with his temper in the heat of battle, rather than simply being a dirty player. Perhaps I'm playing semantical games thinking that way. But I have to admit that his behavior has gone past the boundaries of "normal" in the NFL, whatever the hell that is.

Denver's line has been known for dirty play for ohhh... 15 years and that's OK?

There is a huge difference between dirty play and retaliation. I have no problem with Vince knocking out anyone because of that player's dirty play. What is the alternative? Going on IR?

The "dumb penalty" thing is understandable. However, you can't always be the one legged guy in the butt kicking contest.

Any idea what time this will come out??? MY feeling is it will be a lot worse than we imagined..remember this as Alfred E Goodell doing this..I think it'll be worse than anyone thought...REMEMBER it's the Patriots and he's an unfair peice of excrement..

FWIW, Chris Mortensen did raise a good point on the radio this morning: barring extraordinary circumstances, suspensions are almost always handed down by Tuesdays, because coaches start installing their game plans on Wednesdays. So, unless we hear that Wilfork is suspended by around noon today, we can safely assume he won't be suspended for the Colts game (Mortensen wasn't sure Wilfork would be suspended at all).

FWIW, Chris Mortensen did raise a good point on the radio this morning: barring extraordinary circumstances, suspensions are almost always handed down by Tuesdays, because coaches start installing their game plans on Wednesdays. So, unless we hear that Wilfork is suspended by around noon today, we can safely assume he won't be suspended for the Colts game (Mortensen wasn't sure Wilfork would be suspended at all).
So...why not make it harder..I mean HE IS the commish..why not wait till Thursday...I think the fair way to do it would have been BY Tuesday...Oh...the Commish was traveling back from London....ok give him a few xtra days...

Per PFT, a league source believes that Vince will only receive a fine for his latest incident.

If this is true, I'm surprised.

Terry

Yeah, a fine, no suspension.

And the alternative? There isn't much of one for Wilfork anymore. He's retaliated too often for the officials to believe him too much, I would think.

I just don't think it's a good idea for him to respond in such a way that costs the team yards and potentially his services. Just take it and channel that frustration and anger into your play and hit that running back that much harder or push the center into the QB's face. Something other than taking the way out which costs the team.

Re: What's this BS they're posting on Bills board re: Wilfork suspended?

I hear something about this yesterday as well. Apparantly, Denver caught some footage of Wilfork hitting someone(some say cutler, some say an o-lineman) after a play was over. From the sounds of things, it was a cheap shot and a fairly dirty play. Hopefully, just a fine, but can't gripe with a suspension if one is handed down. Wilfork was a dumba$$ on this one.

As for Chris Brown, singling a player out as the dirtiest football player in the league is very inflammatory. Wish "journalists" didn't do that. on message boards its fine, but that has no place in an article. Besides, my vote would go to Roy Williams for that distinction.

better have been from an authorized location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes