PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Branch to New England for 4th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could the people who value the 4th so much please pick someone else as an example of who we could draft with it other than a guy we already have? Thanks.

Apparently, the 4th round is chock full o' can't-miss prospects who are better for the Pats than a guy who already played well here.

Man, I wish we'd drafted Aaron Hernandez.

Besides, Hernandez would have gone much higher in any other year. This was an incredibly stacked year for TEs, so teams waited and guys fell. Look at what 3rd-rounder Moeaki is doing in KC, for instance.

AND -- next year's draft is routinely described as rich at the top, but shallow. So the main value of a 4th round pick may be to help as a chip to help you maneuver in a higher round.

Guess what? We do have him.
Yeah, because we were smart enough not to give up a fourth to Seattle last year for Meon.

If Brady wants the guy, fine. Keep Brady happy. At least Branch won't stunt the development of our young WRs because he'll be on IR by Halloween.

yeah but we have Denver's 4th, Minny's 3rd, a Carolina 2nd, Oakland's 1st

not too mention our own 1-3 5-6

or did we give our 6 away to get the 3.... not sure....

doesnt really matter. We are rich in picks:).

W/e Makes Brady happy I am game:)

Again, I was was answering another poster's strawman argument of who would you rather have, Branch or Ornberger- 2009 4th round draft pick.

Yeah, because we were smart enough not to give up a fourth to Seattle last year for Meon.

If Brady wants the guy, fine. Keep Brady happy. At least Branch won't stunt the development of our young WRs because he'll be on IR by Halloween.

You strike me as very "glass half empty" about this one.

Am I right?

Who cares if it's a good value or not.

It's good for TFB's psyche. And TFB in a good mood = good things for the Pats.

That's all that matters.

Guess what, the point is that the draft is at best a 50/50 proposition.
Wrong. At best it is 100%, as in all your your draft picks make the team, which they did.

On the average it is less than 100% (but still much better than 50%), but at best it is 100%.

From a Seahawks fan "The Seahawks just basically traded Deion Branch and a sixth rounder for Marshawn Lynch. What a steal!"

I like the trade.. So we gave up a 4th rounder.. We massage the draft so much, I'm sure BB will get it back this year or next..

Good move and good quality TEAM player

he' had 3 knee surgeries..

Welcome Back Branch!

Welcome back, Deion. Now let's get the ring we would have won in 2006...

A necessary trade -- but for a steep price for a receiver who has had multiple surgeries on his knees. His contract is for $ 5.75 million this year and next -- not exactly a team friendly contract for an aging receiver.

As with everything else, the wisdom of this deal will be proven on the playing field.

this thread is growing like a wildfire, damn

mmkay we have Tate to stretch the field, meon twig and Welker,
Hernandez Gronk and Crumpler as TEs, with Edelman and Price in the wings. I think there is some depth there.

I see a bright future for the passing game, and a fond dont let the door hit ya goodbye to the Spread.

I have no trouble talking myself into this. He's not replacing Moss. The Pats are effectively going to be a team without a #1 receiver. Depth is the key.

With some combination of Branch, Welker, Hernandez, Tate, and Gronkowski/RB/Edelman they will be able to spread the field well enough and have some depth when someone gets hurt.

This move makes lots of sense. The Past just needed a respectable talent who isn't going to take a long time to learn the system. There really wasn't another player who met the criteria other than Branch. Hence the slight overpayment.

I really have no problem with giving up a 4th in this situation. I didn't see BB using 8 picks in the first 4 rounds anyway--there are too many young players already who need some time to gel. I think he's going to bank some of these for 2012 anyway.

C'mon folks, let's get behind this!

If he has anything left, the trade is worth it just for the depth it provides. They were very thin at WR before this happened, especially with guys who can be effective on the outside, and now they have someone who can back up at all the WR positions.

Interesting.
Moss for Branch.
Enormous downgrade in talent.
Hopefully an upgrade in the locker room.

Should help the team.
I have no real problem with the draft pick. What have the Pats done with a fourth rounder the past five years?

Good for Branch. Good for Brady.
Hope it works.

I thought Branch looked really good in the 3 Seahawks games I seen this year. Brady and Branch always had great chemistry. I still think based on his production and injuries since leaving New England that a 4th is a very steep price but this could be really good if Branch can stay healthy.

Regular season stats were never Branch's strong point anyway. His true value was in the playoffs and critical points in the game. He always seemed to raise his level to the situation.

Wel said - that is Branch in a nutshell...plus he is a very intelligent player and great locker room guy.

Wrong. At best it is 100%, as in all your your draft picks make the team, which they did.

In one year maybe.

Last I checked, you can't fill a 53-man roster in one year.

As I said, the draft is at best a 50/50 proposition. I'm obviously talking about the overall drafting success of any given NFL team. Kind of shocked I had to clarify that. :)

Interesting.
Moss for Branch.
Enormous downgrade in talent.
Hopefully an upgrade in the locker room.

Should help the team.
I have no real problem with the draft pick. What have the Pats done with a fourth rounder the past five years?

Good for Branch. Good for Brady.
Hope it works.

It was definitely not Moss for Branch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents