PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Branch to New England for 4th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I thought I was harsh on the Twig. Much like the Moss trade I am in different on this one. But I agree with everything you wrote, except he has looked good this season in what little bit I have seen him play.

Why the hell would the Seahawks trade him if he's (finally) been effective and healthy? They're right in the thick of the hunt of a terrible division. Carroll wouldn't give up a guy who has a lot left for a 4th at this point would he?

Last edited:
Ouch. Reality crashing down on the V-Jax Or Bust crowd. :bricks:

Deion Branch is worth a 4th for that Superbowl MVP game alone. I will never forget his service to the Pats.

Seems like a safe way to use a 4th rounder to me. Especially with the plethora they have.

Yes, if you want to think very simplistically. But if you realize there are other factors that determine a player's trade value, then no - he probably doesn't think that when put so simply.

What other factors? Isn't the goal every year to compete for the SB? I think it's safe to say Moss gives us a better chance than Branch does at achieving that goal.

Belichick did say Moss was not a problem in the locker room and was a pleasure to coach. Those same comments (about locker room presence) were also echoed by other Patriot players. Moss was doing his job on the field and was well liked by his teammates.

I have no issue with Branch coming back. I have an issue with us giving away a 4th rounder for an often injured WR who can't go deep when all we got for Moss, who is still a top 5 WR today, was a 3rd rounder PLUS we threw in a 7th round pick.

Doesn't make sense. We should be trading for DLs because that's where we have issues.

Belichick did say.

Well, there's your problem right there.

Belichick also said Maroney would be an important contributor for us this season.

He also talks up win less teams as fantastic.

Last edited:
Pats are either on crack or must have watched alot of Branch and still feel he can be a number 1 receiver for their team. He must have been through a zillion medical tests so the Pats feel he can endure the rigors of a 16 gm stretch. If he stays healthy, I think something special is in store for us. The thing I liked about Branch was that he plays between the numbers and has better shiftiness or lateral agility than Moss, who simply utilizes his elite straight line speed to abuse corners on go routes.

Considering the Pats draft luck with receivers, a 4th for Deion Branch is a no-brainer. Any receiver they draft in next year's 4th round is at best a gamble and not the player Branch is. Deion is a proven NFL receiver. I have watched a few Seahawks games this year and he is still serviceable.

At first a 4th round pick seemed very high but then after I realized it was basically Maroney for Branch, I could live with that. On the other hand if could so called "win" without Moss with the corp we have now, why go trade for Branch? Essentially we could have kept Moss, traded for Branch, and had one of the most dangerous WR tandems in the league, send Moss deep, Branch on whatever route, and Welker right over the middle.

Well, there's your problem right there.

Belichick also said Maroney would be an important contributor for us this season.

He also talks up win less teams as fantastic.

Maroney contributed a 4th round pick (essentially Branch) so I guess that's what Belichick meant as an important contribution.:D

On the other hand if could so called "win" without Moss with the corp we have now, why go trade for Branch?

Belichick trading for a WR shows he clearly didn't believe that.

At first a 4th round pick seemed very high but then after I realized it was basically Maroney for Branch, I could live with that. On the other hand if could so called "win" without Moss with the corp we have now, why go trade for Branch? Essentially we could have kept Moss, traded for Branch, and had one of the most dangerous WR tandems in the league, send Moss deep, Branch on whatever route, and Welker right over the middle.

Serious housecleaning been going on by BB; this is unfinished business from last year. Anyone who's not part of the solution is part of the problem. It's just too obvious now that BB is not going to tolerate anyone who isn't completely on board with what they're trying to do. Look at Mankins.

Last edited:
Brady and Branch had great chemistry when they were previously together in NE. I guess you have to hope that they can reconnect now. I do have concerns about Deion's ability to stay healthy, but at the minimum, I think it's a good way to take pressure off Welker now that Moss is gone. Perhaps Tate can serve as a deep threat and allow Branch to do his damage underneath.

If New England had kept Moss, there's no need to trade for Branch already having Edelman.

No wonder players never care about burning bridges.

Any truth to the rumor that Deion has landed on the IR after straining himself packing his suitcase?

First off, I'm not a fan of this trade. You over spent for Branch.

At the least, Branch is worth a sixth round pick. At the most, a fifth round pick. If Seattle is asking for more than a fifth, then New England needs to decline.

In my opinion, I don't believe Branch is worth more than a sixth or fifth round pick when you consider that Seattle should release him anyways. They've already released TJ Houshmandzadeh, and have talented wide receivers Deon Butler and Golden Tate and tight end John Carlson. And Branch is still an injury concern and he's an older player. Unless Branch is acquired to assume the other starting wide receiver position on New England. You buy low... Is Branch a better player right now than Tate? Because Tate at least gives you a deep threat option.

Personally, I would rather talk to either Denver or Chicago about acquiring one of their wide receivers. Maybe, Jabar Gaffney or Devin Aromashodu.

Sounds like he agrees with me.

Branch is no longer a playmaker. Multiple knee surgeries have crippled his on-field production and ability to separate. He isn't really an upgrade over Julian Edelman or Brandon Tate, so he's just another piece for the Patriots to play with. He'll run underneath routes as Tom Brady shifts to more of a quick-pass attack. I'd rather have Danny Amendola, Kenny Britt or James Jones before Branch off the waiver wire by a mile.

Welcome Home

Considering the Pats draft luck with receivers, a 4th for Deion Branch is a no-brainer. Any receiver they draft in next year's 4th round is at best a gamble and not the player Branch is. Deion is a proven NFL receiver. I have watched a few Seahawks games this year and he is still serviceable.

aaron hernandez says hello.

Assuming he can stay relatively healthy and his wheels haven't slowed too much, this is a good trade. Branch is similar to Welker in that he knows how to find holes in the D...and Brady knows where he's going so both QB and WR are in sync. Also like Welker, Branch doesn't fear going over the middle. These two attributes shouldn't be taken for granted. Having two guys on the roster like this should help the Pats move the chains against anyone.

Regards,
Chris

At first I thought the 4th was alot, but think it could be a good trade for us :)

Sounds like he agrees with me.

Welcome Home

That's fantasy football. Branch's fantasy value vs. his value to the Pats are two different issues.

Besides, the Pats weren't getting Danny Amendola in a trade anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe