Welcome to PatsFans.com

Sacks allowed

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Remix 6, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remix 6

Remix 6 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I found this on another board
    Light ranked 23rd of all LTs
    Mankins 26th out of all LGs
    Koppen 29th out of all Centers
    Neal 12th out of all RGs
    Kaczur 8th out of all RTs

I understand that early in the season the change from Tom to Matt was rough because Tom would always audible the line protection but the stats are very alarming. Our left side was terrible considering Light, Mankins, Koppen were supposed to be our best linemen. This also shows us that Kaczur takes too much harsh criticism but I however, noticed he played well last year

Hopefully this unit steps it up next year because pass protection was scary but i'll give them credit for run blocking which we were solid at.

Thoughts?

2. BPF

BPF In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I think a lot of those had to do w/Cassel holding on to the ball too long when he started early on in his 1st few games. Down the stretch they were much better.

3. Remix 6

Remix 6 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

definitely agree because beginning of season it was just rough in terms of protection but we got better as season went on..till the Steelers raped us but thats why they're the SB champs.

just something to chomp on for the off season though.

4. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

A lot of people complain about the play of Kaczur but as the stats indicate, he gave up the least amount of sacks this season. Even before I saw these stats, I thought his play was decent this season and couldn't figure out what other people were seeing. In fact, most of the sacks this season came from Cassel's blind side and up the middle.

On the other hand, I haven't seen one person in other threads about the same subject but myself acknowledge the poor play of Koppen. He was dominated all season long by the best DT's and struggled throughout the season. In particular, Koppen found himself getting abused on short yardage situations that caused RB's to run right into Koppen which killed the drive. I'm probably the only person that thinks the Pats should at least look to upgrade that position. I think Matt Birk would be a great addition.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  5. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +795 / 1 / -3

6. JSn

JSn Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

I've sided with Kaczur the whole time, and I think he had a shaky start after all the off-season mess.

I keep hearing about extending Light and upgrading Nick and I think it must just be parroting because it pretty much only makes sense in reverse, imho.

Good points about Koppen. I hadn't noticed that at the time, but now that you mention it, it's very true.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  7. CrazyDave

CrazyDave In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

To me, it means we need a day 1 O-lineman.
    Using one of our first 3 picks on a tackle would be fine by me.

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +811 / 26 / -33

I agree, it did get much better as the season went on.. he also moved better in the latter part of the year.

9. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

brady got sacked with more frequency in his first year starting.........I believe it takes time for on OL to know how to protect a particular QB, and it takes time for the QB to learn how to work behind particular OL's.......

they gave up 28 sacks in the first half of the season and 19 in the 2nd half.......don't forget the right side was injured early on.......

not as bad as one would think although it is time for the OL to get a little more physical

10. CrazyDave

CrazyDave In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

So, the concensus around here seems to be that we allowed a ton of sacks, but the o-line is pretty much blameless?
    Just trying to understand.

11. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,916 / 35 / -61

No Jersey Selected

Yep. I would not be disappointed if we actually used our first round pick on an O-Lineman to upgrade that left side.

12. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +645 / 51 / -21

Somehow, I think that Belichick might have a better use for our first than upgrading the the three 2007 pro-bowlers on the left side of the OL wom Brady depended on to give us on of the best offenses in the history of the NFL, and a 16-0 regular season (and an 18-1 total season).

That being said, I have no problem with a guard if we do not expect to re-sign both Neal and Mankins.

13. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Not to be picky, but was there any original source information on that other board?

14. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,916 / 35 / -61

No Jersey Selected

18-1 season. That's right. What was the main reason for that one loss? Better yet, what was the reason for the lack of offensive productivity up until the 4th quarter? 2007 will be two years old by the time this season rolls around. An upgrade with first round talent on the left side is not uncalled for (although I still wouldn't be disappointed if we pick linebacker because that's just as much of a need).

15. nashvillepatsfan

nashvillepatsfan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

The MAIN reason? There wasnt one. There were many resaons as to why they lost that game. The O-line sucking was only one reason. So don't start that crappy argument again.

Im' not a huge fan of the o-line, but i find it hard to believe that they turned to crap one season removed from being REALLY good. You cannot say that it was all Brady during the 07 season. There were times when they snapped the ball, Brady dropped back, called Gisele on his cell phone, waved to her on tv, and then launched the ball to Moss 80 yards down the field. There were alot of times that Brady just stood there thanks to great protection.

Now, as for last season. I don't get it. As some have pointed out, maybe they needed to get used to Cassel. All I know (being a casual homer fan) is that they looked aweful, then Neal comes back, and they start playing better. Linemen always say that its nice to have some stability on the line. Maybe it wasnt as much Cassel, as it was Neal. Not that that helps when he gets injured again. Either way, Im satisfied with our starters, just not the backups. Though I did like what i saw from Levoir when he was in.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  16. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +811 / 26 / -33

If that is what you want to hear, yes... from my view, initially he shared some responsibility, but overall the unit played better as the year went on.. there is no exhoneration here, just the observation of a fan.

17. Nestapats

Nestapats Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think we could actually use another center. I've seen Koppen get beat terribly a couple of times (J. Williams Chargers). He got pushed backwards a couple of times.

No matter how few sacks the right side has given up, we could still use some help there, though i think a day 1 pick is maybe not necessary.

18. Patjew

Patjew PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +392 / 2 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Not having to play Yates was addition by subtraction.

19. p8ryts

p8ryts Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

This is a subjective stat. Not to belittle Gross and Roos, they were on teams that ran more than others. There are too many variables to react to this. QB holding on to the ball, who they played during the year, and many others.

I'll stick with our tackles and our starting line. We need a healthy right guard and a better back up.

20. ScottieC

ScottieC In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I agree with this 100%.

Prior to Tom getting hurt I was still pissed about the SB loss and the O-Lines obvious issues in that game, but thought we could get by - But now that Tom will be coming back from The Injury, I see protecting him as a Day 1 issue along with a younger faster D - and I put protecting Tom above the D, as we saw in 2007 - A healthy Tom with TIME is your best defense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.