PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Shazier

Pats0204

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Question for the forum. Is Ryan Shazier a possible convert to Safety from LB at Ohio State. I haven't seen a lot of the scouts mention this or project him to convert to safety. In fact, it seems like a few folks are questioning his coverage skills as a reason NOT to convert him but I am just putting it out there. He would certainly be our answer to "finding our Cam Chancellor" as he is listed at 6-2, 222lbs. Thoughts?

I think that in the defense of the future the line between LB and S will be somewhat blurred, so I don't worry about it too much. The same question was asked about Lavonte David, and he's done fine at his size as a LB.

I think that regardless of whether Shazier plays at S or at LB, he has the range and athleticism to make plays and improve your coverage. He could very well see time in both roles.

Telvin Smith will also be a guy who people consider switching to safety. And Christian Jones and Kyle Van Noy are LBs with so much range that they will patrol the middle of the field in a safety-like fashion.

Interesting post, I think it's definitely a possibility but he's more suited as an athletic cover OLB

Take the Prior kid from Louisville if you want a safety. I think we need help on both lines.

I am all for cover lb, but there is something about his game that I just do not like. Since I am not a fan, the chances of us drafting him just increased tenfold.

I like his explosiveness and think he is intriguing. He just makes plays all over the field. But I like the player who made the play to beat Shazier's team in the Big Ten Championship game in Indianopolis. Denicos Allen of Michigan State, who is undersized and a Combine snub, is a poor man's Shazier--or Lavonte David. I like him for a mid-round pick, four or lower. SEC-type athleticism from a 5' 10" 220 LBer.

Shazier will probably go too high, like in the second, where we have other more pressing needs.

Interesting comparison for Ryan Shazier:

Ryan Shazier

6'1"
42" vert
130" BJ
25 BP
6.91 3 cone

Demeco Ryans

6'1
236 lbs
39" vert
129" BJ
23 BP
7.19 3 cone

And by the way, something good and new at Draft Breakdown. If you go to a prospects page and click on their 40 time, it gives you a breakdown of their combine performance and then gives you the best best comparisons (based on combine performances).

Demeco Ryans, from Alabama, went pick 33 in 2005.

Gryphon is my preferred term for the MidFielder/Rover Hybrid ~ that's "LineBacker/Strong Safety", to you Earthlings ~ but I prefer that Player to be, optimally, about the Weight of a RoverBack.

Smaller, Stronger, and Faster, is what I'm seeking. Let the Wheat separate themselves from the Chaff.

As such, I would personally prefer to see Shazier as a Will Flanker ~ "WeakSide LineBacker", Earthlings. ;)

I would love to see OTG on tv and have him ambush the other analysts with these terms. Like Mike Reiss would refer to Spikes as an mlb, OTG would just cut him off and call him a slow footed ogre or sloth with a straight face. Reiss's pure confusion would be priceless.

I would love to see OTG on tv and have him ambush the other analysts with these terms. Like Mike Reiss would refer to Spikes as an mlb, OTG would just cut him off and call him a slow footed ogre or sloth with a straight face. Reiss's pure confusion would be priceless.

A Kiper-McShay-Mayock-Grid roundtable on draft night hosted by Rich Eisen would be truly outstanding television.

A Kiper-McShay-Mayock-Grid roundtable on draft night hosted by Rich Eisen would be truly outstanding television.

I could see it now:

Eisen: We're fortunate to be have as our guest today a fascinating and prolific internet draft authority: Off the Grid, also known as the Fanatical Yankee. I'll start things off. Grid, what defensive backs do you like in this draft?

OTG: Well, I love Jason Verrett's verticity. And for a small guy, his Combat Skills are remarkably adept. Unlike Lamarcus Joyner, I think I'd trust him outside as well as in the slot. And I like Bashaud Breeland's trajectory, even though his skills are kind of raw. He's heavy on Potential and raw on Established Capacity.

Kiper: WTF are you talking about?

OTG: That's turn and burn acuity, Earthling. The #1 key trait in a DB. And football is warfare - never forget it. And it's all about TRAJECTORY. Christ, you've been doing this for like 30 years, and you don't know the basics?

McShay: Right. Very insightful. Grid, how would you characterize Bradley Robey?

OTG: Well, Robey reminds me of Vontaze Burfict, Lunatic & Madman. A guy with 1st round talent who bought into his hype and and a result has taken on water. But the skill set is top 10.

Kiper: Taken on water? What in God's name does that mean?

Mayock: Hey, one kid I really like is Kyle Fuller from Virginia Tech. What's your thought on him?

OTG: He's bereft of natural talent, but he's made himself into a Gryphon/Raptor hybrid who's upside could be MYTHICAL. His Processing Speed and ability to react to the Tactical Landscape are the stuff that LEGENDS are made of. Darqueze Dennard is another guy in the same category.

Eisen: Umm, could we get security in here, please? I think we may have a problem ...

I could see it now:

Eisen: We're fortunate to be have as our guest today a fascinating and prolific internet draft authority: Off the Grid, also known as the Fanatical Yankee. I'll start things off. Grid, what defensive backs do you like in this draft?

OTG: Well, I love Jason Verrett's verticity. And for a small guy, his Combat Skills are remarkably adept. Unlike Lamarcus Joyner, I think I'd trust him outside as well as in the slot. And I like Bashaud Breeland's trajectory, even though his skills are kind of raw. He's heavy on Potential and raw on Established Capacity.

OTG: That's turn and burn acuity, Earthling. The #1 key trait in a DB. And football is warfare - never forget it. And it's all about TRAJECTORY. Christ, you've been doing this for like 30 years, and you don't know the basics?

OTG: Well, Robey reminds me of Vontaze Burfict, Lunatic & Madman. A guy with 1st round talent who bought into his hype and and a result has taken on water. But the skill set is top 10.

Mayock: Hey, one kid I really like is Kyle Fuller from Virginia Tech. What's your thought on him?

OTG: He's bereft of natural talent, but he's made himself into a Gryphon/Raptor hybrid who's upside could be MYTHICAL. His Processing Speed and ability to react to the Tactical Landscape are the stuff that LEGENDS are made of. Darqueze Dennard is another guy in the same category.

Eisen: Umm, could we get security in here, please? I think we may have a problem ...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I literally laughed aloud an half dozen times in that short post, Brother Mayo!! Epic!!! :rocker:

I could see it now:

This is draft coverage I'd actually watch.

Talent is there and he is a tackling machine. Think he will fall into the second or early third round mainly because he is a tweener/hybrid. May not have the weight to play full-time OLB at 220 lbs and teams really don't know how well he could convert to a full-time safety. Ability, speed and aggressiveness is definitely there but what position can he play in the NFL is the question.

As a Bucks fan for my college team (used to live in Columbus), I normally am high on a couple of their players.

This year however, I'm not too high on either one of Roby or Shazier. I'm actually high on RB Carlos Hyde, not that it matters or that we'd even consider him there since he'll go too high.

Shazier is an athletic player for sure, but there's just something that I'm hesitant about when it comes to thinking about him coming to NE. Roby, in my opinion, is just overrated. I have watched him get torched plenty of times, although I'm sure they all weren't his fault. He just doesn't give off the kind of "sure fire CB" that one would want like Michigan State's Darqueze Dennard---who I would gladly move up for, and I think is an automatic starter in the NFL.

What about a poor man's RS in MSU's Denicos Allen? Yeah, only 5' 10" without nearly as much hype as Shazier, but a playmaker who made the play of the game in the Big Ten Championship game. Looks like a great fifth round pickup to me for some team. He ran a 4.7/4.8 forty at Michigan State's pro day even with his hamstring tightening up on him.

Denicos Allen Ready to Show He's a 'Playmaker' at Next Level

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back