PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumors & Gossip Predraft edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Legitimate sources or illegitimate, it's all toppings for a draft party garbage pizza: :p

City Brights: Zennie Abraham : NFL Draft update: Conte Cuttino, Tebow and Buffalo, Raiders OT?
If you remember my blog post on Stony Brook University Running Back Conte Cuttino, the 4.4 quick speedster overlooked by a number of draft experts, a source close told me that Cuttino's being looked at closest by the teams in the East: the New York Jets, New England Patriots, New York Giants, and the Philadelphia Eagles...As to where Cuttino may go, he looks to be taken in the 3rd round, but with leaks about the condition of Cal Running Back Jahvid Best, Cuttino could move to as high as the 2nd round.

More draft rumors and rumblings - NFL - Yahoo! Sports
• New Hampshire tight end Scott Sicko is getting a lot of buzz as a mid/late-round pick and is said to have caught the eye of the New England Patriots.

-----

• Finally, sources have told me that Penn State defensive lineman Jared Odrick isn’t a legitimate option for the Browns in the first round. However, the same source said he can’t see Odrick falling past Pittsburgh, New England or Baltimore.

NFL Draft News, Notes, Visits: April 19th
- Since his pro-day of April 8th, Jon Asamoah has moved up draft boards and has firmly planted himself as the number two guard in this draft. It was not just the athleticism Asamoah displayed during the workout which impressed scouts but also the fact the session lasted almost an hour and a half yet Asamoah was ready for more. Several sources have told us he’s going to come off the board early in round two and could end up with the Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions or Kansas City Chiefs. The New England Patriots and Denver Broncos, both possessing multiple picks in round two, are also targeting Asamoah in the frame.

-----

- More and more teams like what they see in Daniel Te’o-Nesheim of Washington. The defensive end has the mentality and instincts to play over tackle as a 3-4 linebacker but also can put his hand on the ground during pass rush downs. He’s been moving up draft boards and seemingly the New England Patriots, who brought Te’o-Nesheim in for a visit, may roll the dice on him in round three.
Pats get mentioned for two other kids in this piece.

Jammie Kirlew and NFL Draft: Cypress Creek graduate Jammie Kirlew hopes to hear his name called in the NFL draft - OrlandoSentinel.com
Kirlew has been working to learn the 3-4 and believes he can master it. He has had several private workouts with teams, but declined to name them.

"I've had 3-4 teams working me out, seeing my drops, seeing my coverage," Kirlew said. "They thought I looked fluid and pretty good, but there is a learning curve and teams feel I'm a smart guy who will take the time and put in the work to pick it up pretty fast."

Pigskin Paul's Place
Another annual draft tradition is in full bloom this week. I refer to it as the Pro Personnel Departments’ (especially Scouting Departments) CYA period. It’s that time when the DRAFT class doesn’t look as good as it did twelve months ago, when no Picks were imminent. Remember how great the 2010 DRAFT was going to be compared with the 2009 DRAFT. Now I am hearing how weak the QB class of 2010 is and that SAM BRADFORD is the only “probable” Franchise QB.

Another major component of all the disclaimer action is to introduce the concept that an awful lot of prospects have “off field” issues that concern NFL teams. Last season’s monster players like MT. CODY are now worrisome, fat, human mud-slides. TAYLOR MAYS is a work-out warrior, but may not have ball skills to be a star as an NFL Safety. And don’t forget that ERIC BERRY is perhaps a little small at 5’11/205 to play S in the League. And it goes on and on.

Thanks to PETER KING for putting a little water on the fire that says BRYAN BULAGA/IOWA has arms too short to be effective in the NFL at OT, thereby dooming him to the OG fate of ROBERT GALLERY. In the past decade JOE THOMAS/BROWNS (32”) and JAKE LONG/DOLPHINS (32 7/8”) have both had shorter arms than BULAGA and done alright for themselves at LT in the League

All Hail the Indefatigable Mr O'Rocks! :youtheman:

Box: Would you rather see them take Koa or Teo?
It depends - I think Koa is the more NFL ready OLB prospect, while Te'o has better size if you expect the team to be running more 40 fronts. If NE drafted both Koa could also start developing at ILB too, so both can have an impact. I suspect NE is leaning more towards 40 fronts, which is part of why they had Te-o in for a visit and only attended Koa's Pro-Day.

It depends - I think Koa is the more NFL ready OLB prospect, while Te'o has better size if you expect the team to be running more 40 fronts. If NE drafted both Koa could also start developing at ILB too, so both can have an impact. I suspect NE is leaning more towards 40 fronts, which is part of why they had Te-o in for a visit and only attended Koa's Pro-Day.
Or they probably figured they just don't need another OLB who can't get to the QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST