PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roster Moves Continue: Dan Gronkowski Cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Did DGronk just get cut?

My thought exactly. Gronkowski will likely still be available if they need him. I believe his entire $405,000 salary this year was guaranteed as well - the Patriots did him a nice favor taking him when they did

Dan isn't a vested veteran, he was drafted in 2009...so he isn't entitled to any in-season salary guarantees.

Perhaps you are confusing the new CBA rules on contractual guarantees to players who sign a new deal and then suffer a season or potential career ending football injury. They are guaranteed up to $1M for the first season (which was kind of guaranteed anyway under the old CBA via IR) and up to $500K in years two and three of their deal if they are unable to return to play due to that injury (eliminating any need for them to file for an injury settlement). This was done to protect young players and veteran jags who often sign one to three year deals with little or no signing bonus as career ending injury protection.

Dan may have been on the injury report, but he isn't suffering a season ending injury or he would have been waived-injured and eventually added to IR. He was simply waived/released. He appeared in too many games while with Detroit and Denver to be eligible for the PS.

It's possible the team has informed him that they hope to bring him back if and when the roster/injury situation allows. Of course it's also possible someone else offers him a spot in the interim. The Patriots are in a kind of weird situation injury wise at the moment given the particular players who are injured including a punter whom you don't carry a backup for and a starting OT whose backup is the swing OT and the receiving TE whose backup is a WR coupled with the seemingly short term nature of those injuries.

And FWIW his salary as a player with 2 years of credited service was $525K. So for his 2 weeks here to date he was paid about $61K. Don't know if he got a small signing bonus or not since Miguel appears to be MIA and hasn't updated his pages since mid August...

Last edited:

Yes, he was on the roster, but his salary still isn't guaranteed. [And, for the record, he's not eligible for the PS.]

You're right. My mistake. I need to put in the work of looking things up before I write about them.

He appeared in too many games while with Detroit and Denver to be eligible for the PS.

One minor point: the 'game count' that determines if a player is still eligible for the PS resets at the start of each season.

If welker played the 1st drive maybe the pats score a touchdown(was te first drive the interception?) would it still be worth it just to prove a point? I just don't agree with doing that in such a big game.

Its not about that its about team rules, discipline and the way the team is run.
To question this is to question the entire relationship between BB and players. Considering the epic success of BB in NE I'm not ready to do that.

Sucks for the Gronks. Sometimes I wonder why Belichick is such an overt a**hole.

I mean... obviously the player who fills his roster spot is going to be completely insignificant for this game and probably his whole tenure here. So why not just keep Gronk for this game? And why do it LAST minute?

I remember hearing in Rex's post-game press conference last week that Plax hadn't caught a pass all game yet was really, really important to them in the run game and drawing coverage on long routes. So Rex made sure to specifically try to get him a pass late in the game (when the game was clearrrly already over). I find that cool, and what a "player's coach" should do.

I mean, I know Belichick did the Flutie drop-kick and there's other similar instances... but in general, he makes a lot of moves where you're just scratching your head as to why he wants to be such a **** lol

So we should expect BB to never cut a player because it will hurt his feelings.
JUST CUMBAYA BABY!!! COMMITMENT TO HAPPINESS!!!

So we should expect BB to never cut a player because it will hurt his feelings.
JUST CUMBAYA BABY!!! COMMITMENT TO HAPPINESS!!!

Andy, there are a couple of WTF comments in this thread. I started to post, but figured they were in Jr. high and didn't know better.

His salary isn't guaranteed. He wasn't on the roster for the first game.

Dan Gronkowski was on the roster for the 1st game. However, as pointed out, he was not a vested veteran..

do you roll your eyes at alot of guys?

why do you insist upon responding like a jack*ss?

right now, they are short one TE for the offense they have used most of the season.........just saying........

but since you're the guy who's never been wrong before (LMFAO). I'll defer

I roll my eyes at people who make no sense. So they only have 1 TE. They have NO spare OT. And OT is a more important position than TE.

I've been wrong many a times and have said so. But I wouldn't expect someone like yourself to acknowledge it.

BTW, since you aren't bright enough to acknowledge it, I said that the only way that Mills gets activated was with another roster move. Helps if you actually READ instead of just reacting... But I guess that is too much to expect.

One minor point: the 'game count' that determines if a player is still eligible for the PS resets at the start of each season.

I am fairly certain that this isn't true unless it was changed in this CBA. Previously, it was TOTAL number of games played had to be less than 9 or no more than 3 seasons on the actual practice squad. .

Last edited:

I am fairly certain that this isn't true unless it was changed in this CBA. Previously, it was TOTAL number of games played had to be less than 9 or no more than 3 seasons on the actual practice squad. .

This particular clause has not changed from the last CBA:

The Practice Squad shall consist of the following players, provided they have not served more than two previous seasons on the Practice Squad:

(i) Players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL experience; and
(ii) Players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s).

Note it says nothing about combining game counts from one season to the next.

Last edited:
I roll my eyes at people who make no sense. So they only have 1 TE. They have NO spare OT. And OT is a more important position than TE.

I've been wrong many a times and have said so. But I wouldn't expect someone like yourself to acknowledge it.

BTW, since you aren't bright enough to acknowledge it, I said that the only way that Mills gets activated was with another roster move. Helps if you actually READ instead of just reacting... But I guess that is too much to expect.

I can't remember the last time the pats dressed just one TE ,going back to the coates/lovette purnell days

This particular clause has not changed from the last CBA:

Note it says nothing about combining game counts from one season to the next.

That's is how it has always been done. It's never been done that you "reset" each year. If a player plays in 9 or more games, he's not PS eligible. It says nothing about them being all in one season.

I can't remember the last time the pats dressed just one TE ,going back to the coates/lovette purnell days

I can't remember the last time a team didn't have a back up OT dressed.

I asked this question in another thread, and I'll ask it here, too:

Why is Mike Wright still on the 53, when we are desperate for bodies at so many positions?

Its ok,we'll replace Hernandez with Smith or Yeadon...wait a minute....crap.....

Cutting D Gronk before his first ever homecoming game? BB is cold.

He is injured.. no sense in keeping a body on the roster who will not play this weekend, particularly a late pick up.

Most of the time you have no choices, in this case the Pats had one.

Which day of the week locks a player's paycheck in? That's one I always forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back