Welcome to PatsFans.com

Roster Is Still A Work In Progress

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by mgteich, Sep 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 19 / -2

We still have almost two weeks until the roster is relatively stable for Game Two. Veterans could be signed after the first game to avoid guaranteeing them a full year's salary.

As of now
    1) We have TWO extra backup interior lineman on the roster.
    2) We need a backup QB.
    3) We need another ILB.
    4) We could use a 4th OT.

QUESTIONS
    A) Is Simmons healthy? Is he eligible of the PUP?
    B) Is Slater going to stay on the roster or will be put on the PUP list?
    C) Will Britt come back as the 4th OT?
    D) Could Lenon come back after Game One?

D) Will Lewis or Ventrone be back to shore up the special teams until Slater is healthy?
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. MetalBleachers

MetalBleachers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Don't think Simmons or Slater is eligible for PUP. :(
  3. A.C Vegas

A.C Vegas Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#11 Jersey

No one is eligible for the PUP right now it's IR or inactive
  4. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

re: #2, Stanback is being worked out as QB.
  5. mcmurtry86

mcmurtry86 Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 1 / -0

I'm surprised Slater is still on the active roster. His injury must have looked a lot worse than it actually was. Still, using a roster spot on a guy who is nothing more than a ST player who will probably miss the first 4-6 weeks (guessing) is a little odd.
  6. DocE

DocE Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

As mentioned already PUP is no longer an option. For future reference, as soon as a player participates in camp, it's IR or an injury settlement, they can't go to PUP.

We have have a minimum of one, and most likely 2 too many interior lineman on the 53 man roster as of today.

We haven't replaced Seymour with an additional DL, so you could argue we are light there if we are going to play primarily 4-3.

I don't like having only 5 WR's and keeping 5 RB's on a team that is in a 3 wide, 1 back set frequently. We have an undrafted free agent who was playing QB for Kent State last year and a special teams standout as our depth behind Moss, Welker, Galloway. Maybe they believe Brandon Tate will play this year?

We certainly could use another ILB, I think a veteran could be signed after game one. Probably don't need many ILB's to play against Buffalo's no huddle.

I don't see a 4th OT unless/until Levoir comes off PUP. The Pats chose to keep 3 interior backups on Sunday, they clearly had room to keep O'Callaghan or Britt instead of Wendell or Connolly at that time.
  7. mgteich

Ratings:
    +287 / 19 / -2

In the 43, Burgess, Ninkovich and even Banta-Cain are DE's. So, we have plenty of linemen to play the 43. Personally, I think that we will play a bit more base 4-3 than last year but not that much. The increase would come because more teams are pass-oreinted.

8. Hercules Rockefeller

Hercules Rockefeller Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Even though we are deep at DL, it would not surprise me to see Kevin Carter sign (if the Seymour trade goes through, which I think it will).

Also think we may see A.J. Feeley or another veteran backup sign after week 1, as stated above, to not guarantee salary.

Belichick sure is making this one interesting offseason. I think they have a nice young nucleus forming, after being a team so many people worried about being old for years.
  9. smg93

smg93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

MG, I think your last sentence says it all. Over the years BB has always shown that the true measure of a coach is based a lot on how flexible he is. The likelihood of playing a lot more 43 this year is like you said due in large part to opponents strategies of putting more emphasis on the pass over the last couple of seasons.
  10. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Dont be sad Slater is horrible
  11. Mack Herron

Mack Herron Rookie

Ratings:
    +240 / 2 / -2

#24 Jersey

Significance of recent Offensive personnel changes?

Out: Thomas, Smith, Lewis
    In: Mathews, Simmons

We appear to be stronger in blocking, weaker in receiving. I wonder if there was a strategic shift involved here? When they drafted Thomas (and Garrett Mills) and traded a 5th for Smith, they were seeking TEs who were strong receivers. Also, they let Evans go, a pure blocker. Now they jettison Thomas and Smith for a 270 lb TE with 2 catches last year. Looks like they bagged the idea of throwing to the TE. OTOH, we have had this sort of personnel in the past, historically the TE position has not been strong for us in the receiving game.
  12. mgteich

Ratings:
    +287 / 19 / -2

There are two big HOWEVER's

1) Even in the 4-3, we are a 2-gap team. Most teams are 1-gap.

2) In running situations, including first down against many teams, we are still a 3-4 2-gap team.

13. ropese

ropese Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ryan Fowler, a 6' 3", 250 pound middle linebacker with starting experience just got signed by the Jets.

What are the Pats thinking??? Yes, Paris Lenon will be available after Week 1 but there is a reason why he will be available.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  14. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan On the Roster

Ratings:
    +235 / 22 / -10

I don't know why not? He hasn't practiced with anyone this season...:confused:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.