PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rookies impacts may have the say on the team's success in 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The first time in a long time and maybe the first time in the BB area where we will see many rookies on the field in key positions,especially on defense.

I think in order for this team to be successful in 2008 the rookies not only have to play more often because of areas that are weaker like ILB or lacking depth like OLB and CB but they have to have a near instant positive impact and I think we must rely on at least most of them to show immediate talent on the field and not like the past where we rarely saw rookies and if we did they were usually in on garbage time or to give the vets a little breather while the vets slowly helped the youngsters get acclimated to the pros as the season progressed - now we will see many of them in week 1.

How much of an impact do the rookies need to have to keep this team on top of the NFL?

To me the key rookies who must step up and play real well quickly are Wheately,Mayo and Slater who I expect to see as a KR man

Last edited:
Re: Rookies impacts may have the say on the teams success in 2008

The same coaches that drafted and signed these young men will not be tasked with training and developing them. These coaches know full well that winning the Superbowl is NOT a birth-right.

The first time in a long time and maybe the first time in the BB area where we will see many rookies on the field in key positions,especially on defense.

To me the key rookies who must step up and play real well quickly are Wheately,Mayo and Slater who I expect to see as a KR man

I can't argue that rookie performance will be important this year, but I see a disconnect between the perception of "many rookies on the field in key positions,especially on defense" and the reality of "Wheately, Mayo and Slater as a KR man."

Basically, the Pats are counting on their two top draft picks to start. (I'd argue that they were counting on instant contributions from Maroney and Jackson in '06 too, btw.) But another way to put that is their two top draft picks beat out veterans to earn starting jobs. After all, neither Mayo nor Wheatley was playing with the first team when camp started. There will doubtless be some rookie mistakes from those two, but also a nice infusion of talent and athleticism. On balance, Mayo and Wheatley really don't look like weak links to me.

actually, Mayo was starting from Day one.

to answer the original question though, I'd ask how the OP is defining success. Personally, I think its a given they are going to make mistakes and I'm perfectly willing to bite the bullet as long as they show improvement, and thats all I think anyone can ask for. You won't catch me complaing that any of these guys can't play, or are "busts" simply because the miss a tackle or blow a coverage. Don't kid yourself that this isnt going to happen or else you are in for a long season. But 2-3 rookie starting? not critical. There'll be some bumps along the way by they will all tighten up as the season goes... and having the Crables and the Meriweathers ( essentially a rookie given he didn't start playing until end of season last year) spell the vets will have the added benefit of keeping the older players fresher come December - February

relying on rookies is incredibly dangerous, especially in the playoffs.

The Giants seemed to do pretty well with a fair spattering of rookies last year. I agree it's not the ideal position, but it can be done.

I think Crable will contribute quite a bit situationally.

I'll agree and add that there are going to be some important REGULAR season games this year...battling for home field/bye week etc. I still remember Peyton finding Alexander over the middle time after time in the playoffs....he knows enough to go directly at the weakest link. For this reason I really hope Junior makes it back into the fold before the SD game.

By the time the playoffs come around, they will have had a full season of play under their belts. They can still make mistakes, but its not like it's the first, second, or third game.

I don't see this being much different from the 2003 season. Wilson and Koppen were starting, Samuel was the nickel back and Bethel had some big kick returns. Also they had big contributions from second year, low expectations guys like Givens and Green.

Were not asking that much of young players this year compared to '03.

If they've played all year, by the time they get to the playoffs they're really not rookies anymore.

We have stronger team than in 2003, and I do NOT think that we are COUNTING on the rookies for more.

Sure, we'd like to see Mayo and Wheatley compete for the defensive ROY award, but in the end we don't even need them to start if they are not ready (after Seau is back). I don't expect to see Wilhite active unless there are injuries, or unless he is one of our retruners. We could see major contributions from Crable, Slater or Guyton, or NOT. We certainly don't need to count on their major contributions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News