PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ron Borges: Defender of Vince Wilfork?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danger Zone

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Don?t capsize big Vince | Boston Herald

Perhaps I have simply lived too long in this crazy, inconstant world.. but did I just find myself applauding a.. a.. Ron Borges article?!?!?!

Is this one of the Seven Signs of the Apocalyse?

As much as I want to stick around and defend Big Vince.. I'm not sure I can live in a world where Ron Borges made me smile..

Cues up: Pink Floyd's, Goodbye cruel world.

Don?t capsize big Vince | Boston Herald

Perhaps I have simply lived too long in this crazy, inconstant world.. but did I just find myself applauding a.. a.. Ron Borges article?!?!?!

Is this one of the Seven Signs of the Apocalyse?

Every now and then, Borges makes some sense. In this case, I certainly agree that there are better choices for release who take priority over Big Vince. That said, I'd like to see his pact reworked/extended as well. Personally, I would not bet against him being able to play for another couple of years even if the odds state otherwise.

Cues up: Pink Floyd's, Goodbye cruel world.

Just the thought of that song sends shivers down my spine. Perhaps it's just a crazy flashback from my early 20s? I had forgotten all about some of those depressing tear jerkers from Pink Floyd, as I was never really a big fan.

I did see them once at Three Rivers Stadium though, although I don't recall much of the show. I would imagine that's par for the course for most Floyd fans in concert.

Nope. Not gonna do it. It's a matter of principle. I refuse to click a link to a Ron Borges article.

-------

As far as Vince goes, it really all comes down to an assessment of whether he will be healthy enough to play and, if so, at what level. That is an assessment that none of us are in any position to make. That is really an assessment that Belichick and Vince have to make.

We might not know the answer to that, for sure, until opening day.

Nope. Not gonna do it. It's a matter of principle. I refuse to click a link to a Ron Borges article.

I know I'm laying on the hyperbole rather thick, but in all honesty, I've been boycotting Ron Borges articles for quite some time now too..

This one slipped by and I swear I froze in disbelief for half a minute when I got to the byline.

He compares a football player getting cut to an average person getting fired for getting hurt on the job. Then he says cap woes over and over. I hate this guy and it isn't just the stuff he writes, it's how he writes it. Just another jackass who gets to give his opinion for a living.

Not one statement or report has come out saying the Patriots are going to cut Wilfork. Reworking his contract has been the popular opinion of people outside the organization, doubly so to those that see the dead money the cut leaves on the cap. He's just making up a problem that doesn't exist.

He compares a football player getting cut to an average person getting fired for getting hurt on the job. Then he says cap woes over and over. I hate this guy and it isn't just the stuff he writes, it's how he writes it. Just another jackass who gets to give his opinion for a living.

Not one statement or report has come out saying the Patriots are going to cut Wilfork. Reworking his contract has been the popular opinion of people outside the organization, doubly so to those that see the dead money the cut leaves on the cap. He's just making up a problem that doesn't exist.

Yeah, I dont know.

There is a LOT of cut Wilfork/he's too old to recover from this injury talk among fans and sports commentators.

Enough so that I applauded seeing this piece being um written.

But I agree, an inane point (shades of Kyle Love criticism) about Wilfork being injured on the job.

Ron Borges is playing what we used to call "the long con" on Patriots fans. He's setting us up. He doesnt care about big Vince. He sees the writing on the wall(unintentional Pink Floyd reference). Right now he's on record as defending Vince,so when we inevitably dump him no one can say anything when Borges writes his 5000th piece bashing Belichick.

Ron Borges is playing what we used to call "the long con" on Patriots fans. He's setting us up. He doesnt care about big Vince. He sees the writing on the wall(unintentional Pink Floyd reference). Right now he's on record as defending Vince,so when we inevitably dump him no one can say anything when Borges writes his 5000th piece bashing Belichick.

So you are hypothesizing that this article is setting Belichick up for the future hatchet job if the semi-likely chance that he is forced to let Vince go comes to fruition.

I think you've nailed it. I really do.

My world is righted once again. Ron Borges has no redeeming qualities.

Not gonna read....but I'm guessing..."Player good, team bad." Every sports city has that one writer who positions himself as the voice of the players. Borges has made a career out of it.....and....don't shoot this messenger but Big Vince may be behind this one. A player wants to change the dialogue, get Borges on the phone....he likes to stir the sauce.
Just sayin.

Edit...Couldn't resist.....read his garble. I have to ask....Why does anyone think this was a good read. Borges insults anyone who speculates, offers zero original thought, and he never makes a clear case on exactly why Wilfork will be able to help the team going forward. His conclusion is....other guys should get cut first, so therefore Vince gets to stay. I think Ron penned this gibberish from his local watering hole....probably saw that meatloaf was the house special and thought of Vince. After Ron finished mailing it in, he probably stumbled around Boston looking for cripples to punch out
Just sayin

Twice in his story, Ron Borges mentions "the chattering class." I wonder who that is. He always has to put down somebody when he authors his opinion pieces. He cannot just say, "Here's what I think and here's why."

If he's taking somebody on, he should state who that is and what they said. Maybe it's a specific reporter or commentator. Maybe it's us. Whatever.

Borges is like the guy looking to finance his weird musical in "Waiting for Guffman," who yells at the Town Council when they turn him down, "You're all just bastard people!"

Every time someone clicks a Ron Borges article, a little girl's brand new puppy dies... do not give this azzclown any credibility... as he has none.

I know I'm laying on the hyperbole rather thick, but in all honesty, I've been boycotting Ron Borges articles for quite some time now too..

This one slipped by and I swear I froze in disbelief for half a minute when I got to the byline.

I'm not reading it, but I am willing to bet that it's his way of setting things up for a major "told-you-so" hatchet job on Belichick. He must think pretty hard that they're letting Wilfork loose, and he's probably trying to make BB look as bad as possible if/when that happens.

In other words, I bet it's not really about Wilfork, but Belichick, even if he (BB) might rarely be mentioned in the article.

Belichick deserves criticism.

1. Paying useless Stinko 6 million per to do nothing.

2. Bringing in Almendola and then investing in him like hes been the epitome of good health.

3. Drafting Hernandez. How in the hell could the Pats have not known about this thugs gun play in college?

4. Trading NEs 1st round draft picks into 2nd round picks that turn out to be busts.

Time is running out for Brady. Its also time to stop taking these foolish risks in the draft and FA and throwing money around like Belichick is Bill Parcells.

2. Bringing in Almendola and then investing in him like hes been the epitome of good health.

3. Drafting Hernandez. How in the hell could the Pats have not known about this thugs gun play in college?

4. Trading NEs 1st round draft picks into 2nd round picks that turn out to be busts.

Time is running out for Brady. Its also time to stop taking these foolish risks in the draft and FA and throwing money around like Belichick is Bill Parcells.

As far as Stinko goes.....HOW DID BB NOT KNOW THAT STINKO lacked mental functionality and stability. How did BB not know Stinko's route tree consisted of only curl, crossing, and post pattern and how did BB not know Stinko couldn't identify defenses and process that info on the fly....then adjust the pattern? His rep at Cincy was he didn't take coaching well.....and unfortunately we find out first hand that he couldn't handle the complexities.
Stinko is the classic out-loud thinker...Every thought that travels through his mind finds its way onto his lips.......and that is as deep as it gets. They don't think....they react.
BB must of been smitten that a celebrity paid attention to him...and the bromance clouded his judgement....because this was a a huge miss.
The missed signals
1) Stinko was self centered throughout his Cincy career.....cannot be argued. Goes against the Patriot Way
2) Battled coaches at Cincy....Goes against the Patriot Way
3) Football not a priority..........Tabloid coverage was

Borges has always been a "player's writer". He hates Belichick, not the players. Even in this article, he took a veiled swipes at Belichick including how he screwed up Dan Connolly's contract extension as a warning about the dangers of screwing with Wilfork's contract with an extension.

I don't get why people think this is anything but a classic Borges article. It is the classic "Mean ol' Belichick stop screwing with a beloved player and just pay him his salary" column. It is a softer tone anti-management, pro-player piece that he has been doing for over a decade.

Belichick like anyone else deserves criticism for some moves and praise for others. I disagree with your assessments here:

1.) It was a near universal agreement at the time of the trade that acquiring Chad Ochocinco was a good move by Belichick. It is 20/20 hindsight that people kill that move. You go back and look at this board at the time of the trade and people were predicting 1,100-1,200 season for Ocho.
2.) Amendola has been a bad move thus far, but he could pan out. So far he deserves criticism for this.
3.) As much as Hernandez is a disgusting piece of sub-human garbage, drafting him from a pure football standpoint was a great draft pick. He provided the Pats with more production than most fourth rounders ever do. You can blame him for the contract extension, but there is no way anyone could have expected him to be a murderer.
4.) His haters (at least from a GM standpoint) always point out his trading down, but these trading down tend to pay off as much as they are busts. The Pats got players like Chandler Jones, Rob Gronkowski, and Julian Edelman with picks they got from trading out of the first round.

Borges is on the side of any player that's going to cost the Patriots money. Always has been, always will be. Don't know why this is a surprise by now.

Belichick like anyone else deserves criticism for some moves and praise for others. I disagree with your assessments here:

1.) It was a near universal agreement at the time of the trade that acquiring Chad Ochocinco was a good move by Belichick. It is 20/20 hindsight that people kill that move. You go back and look at this board at the time of the trade and people were predicting 1,100-1,200 season for Ocho.
2.) Amendola has been a bad move thus far, but he could pan out. So far he deserves criticism for this.
3.) As much as Hernandez is a disgusting piece of sub-human garbage, drafting him from a pure football standpoint was a great draft pick. He provided the Pats with more production than most fourth rounders ever do. You can blame him for the contract extension, but there is no way anyone could have expected him to be a murderer.
4.) His haters (at least from a GM standpoint) always point out his trading down, but these trading down tend to pay off as much as they are busts. The Pats got players like Chandler Jones, Rob Gronkowski, and Julian Edelman with picks they got from trading out of the first round.

I wouldn't say the Ocho deal was universally praised. Being that I hated it, I noted others who did too.

Just the thought of that song sends shivers down my spine. Perhaps it's just a crazy flashback from my early 20s? I had forgotten all about some of those depressing tear jerkers from Pink Floyd, as I was never really a big fan.

I did see them once at Three Rivers Stadium though, although I don't recall much of the show. I would imagine that's par for the course for most Floyd fans in concert.

Don't worry; some of the best concerts I ever attended are the ones I remember the least.

As for Wilfork, how many players actually receive all the money owed on the last year of a
big-money, long-term contract anyway? If his rehab is behind schedule or if he is unwilling
to drastically restructre, then Bill has no choice but to release him, plain & simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST