PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roger Goodell :Thursday Night Football to start from week 2 2012 onwards

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bars will be hopping!!!

Its one way to increase TV revenue I guess?

I don't have a problem with it. I think having more days of football can be a good thing.

Hopefully, with a 13 game schedule, the NFL Network improves their broadcast which is easily the worst of all the networks. Their camerapeople suck, surprisingly their booth crew sucks (I am a huge fan of Mike Mayock as an in studio analyst, but he is a terrible color analyst) and their pregame and halftime show sucks.

I don't get to see MNF any more as a result of ditching cable, but for most people you're right. The NFL wants to push their network, though.

Aren't those games broadcasted OTA in the Boston/Providence markets?

Considering how much the league has invested in the NFL Network, I am surprised they did not make this move sooner.

As for those that do not receive the NFLN, it will put more pressure on the cable providers that still don't carry NFLN (Time Warner, BrightHouse, CableVision, Wide Open West) to work out an agreement like Comcast did. If not, it will induce many customers to switch to another cable provider, DirecTV or Dish. The third alternative is the local sports bar that has the Sunday Ticket, because ST is on DirecTV which means they have the NFLN. Regardless of which of those alternatives happens it is a win for the NFL because it's a win for the NFLN.

Say what you will about Roger Goodell and the NFL league offices, but one thing they are not is dumb business people.

Good move. I had this idea a year ago.

I love Thursday night games so thumbs up from me.

Considering how much the league has invested in the NFL Network, I am surprised they did not make this move sooner.

As for those that do not receive the NFLN, it will put more pressure on the cable providers that still don't carry NFLN (Time Warner, BrightHouse, CableVision, Wide Open West) to work out an agreement like Comcast did. If not, it will induce many customers to switch to another cable provider, DirecTV or Dish. The third alternative is the local sports bar that has the Sunday Ticket, because ST is on DirecTV which means they have the NFLN. Regardless of which of those alternatives happens it is a win for the NFL because it's a win for the NFLN.

Say what you will about Roger Goodell and the NFL league offices, but one thing they are not is dumb business people.

Time Warner not offering NFLN really gets me PO'd. NFLN has been around for years now. This new scheduling plan means those of us in Maine need to get together and put some pressure on 'em.

I think there should be a 9 AM Sunday game..One game a week :)

Frankly, this is a lousy idea. I hate games at night during the week. I won't be watching. This is overexposure for sure. Sundays, Sunday nights, Monday nights and now Thursday nights? Nutz.

So the Jets can now possibly have 2 losses within 5 days.....great idea ;)

Time Warner not offering NFLN really gets me PO'd. NFLN has been around for years now. This new scheduling plan means those of us in Maine need to get together and put some pressure on 'em.

Let me be the first to wish the 3 of you good luck

Well, hopefully this means we won't be subjected to 3+ primetime games with Jacksonville.

As much as we LOVE football, this may actually be a bad thing. It could be the start of 'overkill'. I've heard some fans say this about soccer when they did the same thing overseas.

Same thing when UFC started adding more and more pay per views. Now it seems like there is an UFC pay per view every other weekend which means more watered down undercards due to having to shuffle in more talent to fill the card up. Of course sometimes those undercard matches end up being better then the hyped up matches for the show end up being. Even then I still feel the UFC has too many pay per view events but hopefully that deal with FOX might take some of the "lesser" ones and put them on Fox/FX/Fuel.

And speaking of soccer I'm a little weary of MLS now stretching the 2012 season now from March until December. I haven't looked at this year schedule that closely but I'm assuming some of it has to do with the Olympics and World Cup qualifiers. Still that seems like one dang long season that will barely be done with then a few weeks later the talk of MLS Super Draft will already be going on.

Now to bring this back full circle to the original subject I will agree that the NFL Network needs to improve their production quality. Yes I will admit that they did improve a little bit this last year but they are still the worst. I still felt like I was watching some high school football game on public access or Fox Soccer MLS broadcasts prior to the network going HD - trust me those Fox Soccer MLS broadcasts back in say 2008 we're in large dreadful to watch in terms of production value.

I do think that the NFL needs to lower the cost of cable/sat providers carrying the network and get them to carry it on the lower tiers in order to gain viewership. ESPN can get away with their higher costs because of the name recognition that ESPN has (along with ABC's bundling tactics they do with cable/sat providers). If the NFL wants their network to be widely successful then improving production on their games along with getting the network more widely available will help things greatly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes