PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodney Harrison ripping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Two words for Rodney Harrison

tumblr_lraawfdFlL1qbbz06o1_r1_500.gif

Who gives a fudge? (I do since I responded:cool:)

Three Words for the NFL's Dirtiest Player in 2004 as voted in a league-wide poll of NFL players:

"Go Pound Sand."

Three Words for the NFL's Dirtiest Player in 2004 as voted in a league-wide poll of NFL players:

"Go Pound Sand."

So now some Patriots fans are turning on Rodney, of all people, because he had the audacity to acknowledge that the coverage sucks--something which should be evident to anyone who watched the game?

Rodney couldn't have said it any better. This defense is soft. There is no one on this defense that is scaring any opposing offense with the exception of possibly Wilfork. You respect Mayo but don't really fear him. He is great, he is one of the most consistent and dependable players and I know its been beat to death on here but we need a linebacker who can blitz effectively.

The Patriots just lack someone who can take over late in the game, or step up and make a big play on third down consistently. They lack someone with some attitude such as a Rodney Harrison, someone to make a big hit and fire up the team. McCourty showed good signs last year but he's become more of a target than someone you try to stay away from.

I think Bill's done the best with what we have but it's become painfully obvious that we don't have the talent to do the things we used to be able to do. We had such a special blend of players early in Brady's career that made for such a terrifying defense that was so creative in stopping teams in different ways. I never thought I'd see the Pats sit in a shell and hope for the best as their game plan. I hope for the sake of the rest of the season that some of these guys step up but they really need to show us something and soon. This defense has been embarrassing so far.

So now some Patriots fans are turning on Rodney, of all people, because he had the audacity to acknowledge that the coverage sucks--something which should be evident to anyone who watched the game?

It's a shame. Rodney is telling it like it is, and some people want to toss him under the bus because he's not sugar coating anything or being a homer.

Peyton Manning - YouTube

Pretty much what Peanut Head in the video above says is correct

David Tyree

What about David Tyree? That was the guy that Samuel was supposed to be covering.. Harrison had to try and make up for Samuel's garbage..

The passive Patriots

New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick turns focus from defense to offense heading into Sunday meeting with NY Giants - NY Daily News

It's very cool to have NFL executives give the very same diagnosis of what's ailing the Patriots as quite a few of us fans have. In the past 2 days I've said the exact same thing about the Pats playing a passive defense and how they're too much in love with Peyton Brady's arm to run the ball and dink and dunk the way they should (NEED TO) in certain games. Don't have to work in that league to know what you are talking about when discussing it. ;)

Last edited:

"Go Pound Sand."

Wow. Just wow.

Who gives a fudge? (I do since I responded:cool:)

Oh I do give a fudge. We haven't had a bone-crunching play-changing hit in a very long time. Harrison used to be known for that, and that changed tremendously how players used to cross the middle of the field in front of the Patriots D. He dramatically altered the game plan that way.

Nowadays, nobody is afraid to cross the middle on us.

Last edited:

Just pushing back a little at ol' Rodney, that's all.

We loved Rodney when he was with the Pats, but there comes a time when Rodney needs to chill out and choose diplomacy when talking about the coach and the team that gave him a chance to be a champion. (Yeah, yeah, I know. If Rex Ryan were the coach of the Chargers and had Rodney Harrison, he would have won two Super Bowls by now.)

This business of ex-Patriots getting gigs as commentators and then trying to prove they are "objective" by ripping the Patriots is getting tiresome. Tedy Bruschi did it and now Rodney is doing it.

I am not disagreeing with him - or you. Watching Roethlisberger grind out those drives with passes into the soft areas of the zone drove us all nuts. But Rodney ought to let somebody else rip into Belichick and the Patriots secondary and focus his commentary on other team's weaknesses.

Besides, wasn't Rodney Harrison the one who said he was going to become an NFL referee?

Oh I do give a fudge. We haven't had a bone-crunching play-changing hit in a very long time. Harrison used to be known for that, and that changed tremendously how players used to cross the middle of the field in front of the Patriots D. He dramatically altered the game plan that way.

Nowadays, nobody is afraid to cross the middle on us.

Lord, how much money would Rodney have paid in fines if he were playing today? Rodney retired, what, four years ago? The game has changed for the worse on that score, if you ask me. I agree that hits to the head should be punished severely, but even decent hits attract flags and fines way too often now.

Last edited:

Lord, how much money would Rodney have paid in fines if he were playing today? Rodney retired, what, four years ago? The game has changed for the worse on that score, if you ask me. I agree that hits to the head should be punished severely, but even decent hits attract flags and fines way too often now.

I never said hits to the heads.

I'm talking about the intimidation he brought to the game. We are sorely missing that now.

I would love to have rodney back in some / any capacity.

Bring on the beast !

I think many people would love to see him back in NE. He happens to be my favorite player. I only wish there was a chance it would happen. I can't see him going anywhere.

It seems BB likes to play vanilla early in the season and mix it up more as the season goes on. It's almost as if he's trying to find the D's baseline. I'm hoping he starts soon!

It seems BB likes to play vanilla early in the season and mix it up more as the season goes on. It's almost as if he's trying to find the D's baseline. I'm hoping he starts soon!

I could've told you the baseline was garbage, AKA worst in the league, by week 3.

What about David Tyree? That was the guy that Samuel was supposed to be covering.. Harrison had to try and make up for Samuel's garbage..

I tried watching that drive today for the first time since it happened. I lasted until the second play (first was a first down to Toomer, second was an incomplete intended for Burress) before I had to close out of it. I still can't watch it without getting physically ill. I've seen a lot of painful sports moments but this is the only one I haven't managed to get over.

I tried watching that drive today for the first time since it happened. I lasted until the second play (first was a first down to Toomer, second was an incomplete intended for Burress) before I had to close out of it. I still can't watch it without getting physically ill. I've seen a lot of painful sports moments but this is the only one I haven't managed to get over.

The worst had to been when ASSante jumped and couldn't hang on to the football and he friggen laughed and smiled about it.. I wanted to pummel him for that. Laughing about what would probably have been the game winning interception.. I was so glad when the Pats let he go on his merry way..

thanks for posting . . . I love Rodney but Rodney is now part of the media and well we all know what those guys are like . . . just saying . . . maybe Rodney is trying to indirectly modivate his old team, but the reality of the situation I can't agree with Rodney . . .

Surely that D gelled 01-05, but how did it do in 02?, i think it went 9-7 and missed the playoff do to a tiebreaker (thanks to Brett Favre losing to the Jets) . . . and how did the defense do 05-07, i think Rodney forgot to mention those parts, albeit he was injured in two of those years, 05 and 06, and likely would have helped . . .

the problem with comparing two eras is one needs to compare all aspects of the situations . . . for right or for wrong there are some major differences between the two eras

The 01-04 team had the following:

RAC as DC, Weiss as OC, and Mangini and McDanils in the mix, and Woicik in the weight room

A great front seven with a pre-injury Seymour, Washington-Wilfork, Warren, Bruschi, McGinest, Johnson, Phifer, and FAs Colvin and Vrabel, and Cox

Futhermore, most of the front seven (and the secondary) were all hitting their prime in 01-04. Indeed, a good portion of the team, McGinest, Law, Brushci, Johnson, Milloy started in the mid 90s, lost a SB and did not really have all that impressive run from 97-00, when most were the age of teh present secondary ;) . . . but as they matured they got better and gelled in 01-04 along with the above mentioned FAs . . .

so bottom line I like what Rodney is preaching, but the reality of the situation is the team needs to play a certain way due to the talent and the talent up front . . . these guy are young, prehap no different than our D 96-00 and need time to mature . . . also we do not have as solid a coaching staff and a weaker front seven, with the latter limiting what the secondary can do . . .

so ya we can talk about 01-04 and the present but must be mightful that the 01-04 secondary had much more support surrounding it than our present secondary . . .

I know some have mentioned Samuel, I liked him too, but what gets unnoticed among all the INTs, are all the big plays he gave up when he left his spot to go ball hawking . . . i wish someday there will be a stat for big plays given up (or even just yards given up or first downs given up) from a player leaving his position on the field, if that stat were looked at some might see that Samuel is not all INTs alone . . . just saying . . . I dont think we need to mention whose man Tryee was in that catch not to be mentioned . . .

The worst had to been when ASSante jumped and couldn't hang on to the football and he friggen laughed and smiled about it.. I wanted to pummel him for that. Laughing about what would probably have been the game winning interception.. I was so glad when the Pats let he go on his merry way..

Well, it was a highly thrown pass, one that he could have gotten to. I think his smiling scream was still one of agony, like, "FML, I had it right there". Asante does seem to have maturity issues that have shown itself, such as egging on a couple of media guys to fight each other earlier this year. But while I still curse Asante for not getting that INT, I'm more pissed at him for missing his assignment on Tyree. I'm pissed at Carey for not blowing the play dead on the sack, I'm pissed for them not calling holding on that play, I'm pissed that Hobbs was left for dead, so many things. We would have won it for the late Marquis Hill. Won it for Bruschi who risked his life coming back to play for us. Watching Brady connect to Moss with what looked like the potential game-winner, and then seeing Bruschi hug Seau on the sideline... everything hurts more because of that imagery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3