PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rock & Roll Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoodie

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I know Gary Glitter is not a good guy, but I love this song because it always means something good has happened. Are they going to stop playing Michael Jackson too?

The NFL asks teams to ban golden oldie
Believe it or not, Gary Glitter's conviction on child molestation charges could have consequences for Patriots fans. The former glam rocker is so disgraced that the National Football League is asking teams to refrain from playing his popular anthem ``Rock and Roll Pt. 2" on game day. ``We've communicated to the teams that due to current events we'd like them not to play the song," NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy confirmed yesterday. ``The reaction has been overwhelmingly positive. Teams understand the reason for the request." Glitter, 62, whose given name is Paul Francis Gadd, was sentenced to three years in a Vietnamese prison for committing obscene acts with two underage girls. Pats spokesman Stacey James said the team was considering removing the song even before the league made its request. He added that the Pats are reviewing music options that would give the club a ``unique" identity.​
http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/articles/2006/06/14/buchwald_plans_vineyard_stay/

Political correctness going too far again. What a surprise ;)

R.I.P.

Snow.jpg

(What other songs have a good enough beat to throw snow to?)​

Last edited:
That's just plain stupid. How about all the crimes the guys in Motley Crue have committed, yet they still play that insipid "Girls, Girls, Girls" all the time.

Just because this guy is the scum of the earth, doesn't mean that particular piece of music has anything about him anymore.

I don't think that when he wrote or recorded the song he had any idea or intention that it would become such a widely used somg at sporting events.

He probably still does get royalties which does bother me somewhat. But, I think that the NFL should keep their noses out of this.

Much of the sporting universe has no idea who wrote the song and even less of an idea of his criminal behaviour. Play the song.

Silly....and stupid...and I would love it if there was a way to have tape machines playing it loudly if they banned it!!! REALLY dumb!!

PATSNUTme said:
He probably still does get royalties which does bother me somewhat.

That, more than anything else, is probably why they're trying to nix the song. [This is the same reason why you almost never hear people singing "Happy Birthday" on movies or TV (or in restaurants)--it's still under copyright.]

But, I think that the NFL should keep their noses out of this.

Unfortunately, they don't agree.

But if they have to get new music, why not get Bon Jovi to do it? :)

I agree, most folks have no idea who Gary Glitter is or his history, play the damned song and if there is an outcry amongst the Pats fans deal with it then. Sometimes things get too complex, keep it simple.

Coincidentally, he is appealing his conviction in Viet Nam... not sure what to make of all of this, but here is the link.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/new...167917_RTRUKOC_0_UK-CRIME-GLITTER.xml&src=rss

HO CHI MINH CITY (Reuters) - Former "glam rocker" Gary Glitter, convicted and jailed in Vietnam for molesting children, will challenge the prosecution's evidence during an appeal hearing on Thursday, his lawyer said.

Glitter, 62, will appear in the People's Supreme Court of communist-run Vietnam following his March 3 conviction and sentencing to three years in prison for committing sexual acts with two 11-year old girls. Glitter avoided the more serious charge of child rape, which carries the death penalty in Vietnam.

The closed hearing will be on Thursday morning and the decision announced in the afternoon, court officials said.

That song was getting old and irritating, having been overplayed in every sports venue and throughout popular culture.

It's about time we retired it anyway.

Though if I were the judge, part of the sentence I imposed would be to have "Rock and Roll Part II" blasted in Gary Glitter's cell non-stop for the duration of his term...

Ba na na na... Hey!
Ba na na.
Ba na na na... Hey!
Ba na na.
Ba na na na... Hey!
Ba na na.
Chakachaka chakachaka chaka...

(Repeat forever)

It's a really dumb idea...really VERY dumb...why ban the song..doesn't make sense..picking and choosing who one wishes to send royalties to?? I bet 90% or more don't know who did the song..or why it would be banned..so???

this may be PC,, but it feels like censorship

BelichickFan said:
Political correctness going too far again. What a surprise ;)
what this means is that this league, highly conservative ( or whatever, but it IS known as the"no fun league"?). but also a bellwether league for the rest of professional sports, has decided to ban playing the work of an artist because of that artist's off-stage behavior. consider this:
doesn't keith richards have a charge or two on his rap sheet? surely mick hasn't gone all these years without being booked for something?
we all KNOW paul mccartney's a convicted pothead.
wasn't that ozzy osbourne on the stage for the SB opener recently?
how about that slut, cher? she must have a rap sheet.
if yiu take this action by the league to its logical next step, they'll have to ban the music of other convictees. c'mon, it'll have to happen. if nfl bans gary glitter, then they'll have to ban the work of all other artisits who have a conviction record, anywhere in the world. photo on file.
if ya do gary glitter, then ya gotta do evaerbody else.

The NFL will do what it will do, and I'm sure Kraft will go along with it. But touchdowns just won't be the same.

It's hard for me to think of that song without thinking of the Pats scoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back