PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ridley

Status
Not open for further replies.
He carried the ball with one arm into the teeth of three tacklers after he had time to think about what he was doing. Anybody can mess up like that -- and who was the coach with the knit hat consoling him on the sidelines? -- but if he repeats that kind of bonehead ball-security choice very often he WILL head to the doghouse quickly.

That was Irvin Fryar, the RB coach.

It's disconcerting that Ridley has had 2 fumbles in two straight games. Hopefully it's out of his system quickly.

That would be the only reason to have any doubt. There is a huge difference in how they run with the ball.
You're right, Green-Ellis doesn't fumble.

If we could mesh a Green-Ellis/Ridley/Woodhead combo we'd have the perfect back.

Hopefully Ridley remedies this next week as we're going to need a run game against either opponent.

That was Irvin Fryar, the RB coach.

It's disconcerting that Ridley has had 2 fumbles in two straight games. Hopefully it's out of his system quickly.

Ivan Fears, RB coach

The thing about Woodhead is that he is Mr. Reliable. He makes the key plays when needed. Very valuable component to the offense.

You're right, Green-Ellis doesn't fumble.

If we could mesh a Green-Ellis/Ridley/Woodhead combo we'd have the perfect back.

Hopefully Ridley remedies this next week as we're going to need a run game against either opponent.

He will. The coaches are going to be on his ass all week about ball security.

He's fumbled twice. I think spending some time with law-firm will get him straightened out.

Idk...it would be nice but I just fear him catching law-firms pitter patter running technique.

The fumble was concerning. I still think that there will be a point in the playoffs that they will need him.

I watched the game with a bunch of friends and family...when Ridley fumbled on that gang tackle, the first thing out of my mouth was "It's the playoffs, kid!!!!NOT regular season anymore!!!"...and then watching his reaction going off the field, I felt MUCH better...this kid GETS it...and he's a talented running back...I'd be surprised if he takes the ball into a crowd like that next time without two handing the ball.

Agreed, it was nice to see him very upset about it. Further, he took a hard hit right into the ball so I can see it causing a lot of pressure to fumble. However, said as one of Ridley's bigger fans, this cannot happen 2 games in a row! He is officially a fumble concern. It's an unfortunate occurrence as he appeared on the verge of opening it up (at least that is what I sensed) and BJGE continues to under perform in yards gained versus his previous running of the past couple of seasons.

The thing about Woodhead is that he is Mr. Reliable. He makes the key plays when needed. Very valuable component to the offense.

I disagree somewhat. He's above average running from the shotgun (lots of 5-10 yard runs but no home runs this season) but he is subpar in blitz pickup. I really hope Vereen can be an upgrade in this area. Makes you really appreciate Kevin Faulk's work over the years.

That fumble could really hurt Ridley's postseason if BB elects to go with more "sure handed" options. We will need to atleast attempt to establish some kind of rushing attack vs Baltimore if they are our opponents. Can't have them just teeing off on Brady all game. I would hope they don't lose all faith in him, but you can't turn it over in the postseason.

Ridley looked crushed on the sideline btw, he def seems like he really wants it but has to corral those mistakes.

Agreed, it was nice to see him very upset about it. Further, he took a hard hit right into the ball so I can see it causing a lot of pressure to fumble. However, said as one of Ridley's bigger fans, this cannot happen 2 games in a row! He is officially a fumble concern. It's an unfortunate occurrence as he appeared on the verge of opening it up (at least that is what I sensed) and BJGE continues to under perform in yards gained versus his previous running of the past couple of seasons.

Ball security's' gotta be the reason why he hasn't gotten as many carries. Prior to the fumble problems, his technique concerned me. He seems to always carry with his right hand, instead of switching the ball to his outside arm. To make matters worse, he doesn't consistently keep it close on contact.

Ball security's' gotta be the reason why he hasn't gotten as many carries. Prior to the fumble problems, his technique concerned me. He seems to always carry with his right hand, instead of switching the ball to his outside arm. To make matters worse, he doesn't consistently keep it close on contact.

Switching hands is irrelevant. Corey Dillon always carried the ball in his right arm.

Just a matter if keeping the ball closer to his body and using two hands to secure it.

He will learn. If he doesn't he is gone.

Last edited:
Switching hands is irrelevant. Corey Dillon always carried the ball in his right arm.

Just a matter if keeping the ball closer to his body and using two hands to secure it.

Yep. Kid has obvious talent, but BB won't keep him around if he can't trust him to hold onto the ball.

Sure it matters, It harder to strip a ball reaching across someone's body for one. The other is if you do fumble, the ball is more likely to roll out of bounds.

Last edited:
Sure it matters, It harder to strip a ball reaching across someone's body for one. The other is if you do fumble, the ball is more likely to roll out of bounds.

I understand that switching hands is a fundamental aspect of ball security that is taught and emphasized. We agree on that point.

My point is that changing hands is not a critical fundamental for a RB to have. Dillon fumbled once every 102 touches. He obviously didn't think it was necessary for his game.

Don't get me wrong, keeping it close and using two hands have more impact on security, but carrying with the outside hand isn't irrelevant. It's fundamental, especially when you're running on the outside like Ridley was.

You're correct that Dillon was a one-hander (lefty), and he got away with it because it worked. But it's still poor technique.

Don't get me wrong, keeping it close and using two hands have more impact on security, but carrying with the outside hand isn't irrelevant. It's fundamental, especially when you're running on the outside like Ridley was.

You're correct that Dillon was a one-hander (lefty), and he got away with it because it worked. But it's still poor technique.

Thanks for the correction on the left hand..

Agreed. Not ideal technique but it worked. Emmitt Smith was another as he also only carried the ball in his left hand.

He can hold it however he likes - just don't put it on the ground.

In the case of the Pats running game: the reason the Pats running game is ranked so high is because the quality of the Pats' passing game forces defenses to overplay the pass, providing opportunities for mediocre talent like BJGE to make positive plays.

And yet Moroney couldnt run in the NE offense to save his job. Yes, the NE has changed since his illustrious departure, but NE was still a pass first team back then with defenses focusing on Brady, Moss and Welker.

Sometimes the NE offense just wants to slow the game down to give the defense a breather or burn clock.

The real evaluation of the pats run game will only come when the passing game is rendered ineffective, and the Pats must run to open up the pass. The Pats will face that test next week versus Baltimore. It will be the test that determines whether or not they go to the SB. I don't believe BJGE can pass that test. I believe Ridley has a chance to pass that test, and I believe the coaching staff thinks as I do. I believe they knew what they had in Ridley very early, even this preseason, and decided to keep his legs fresh for the stretch run and the playoffs, letting free agent to be BJGE take the pounding during the regular season, working Ridley gradually into the offense.

I believe Ridley will prove his mettle this week but especially next week versus Baltimore. And this thread will become a relic we can all look back on with a chuckle, saying, remember when we convinced ourselves Ridley should be BJGE's backup? Those were the days!

Some people are so anxious to see BJGE hit the road when all he does is play solid football.

Ridley has a LOT to prove before takes playing time from BJGE. Especilally after last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes