PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Richard Seymour - If You Missed it You Were Blind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, Richard has played well in the two preseason games. But Wilfork was dominated last night.

The overall problem is we don't get enough initial pressure with just our 3 d lineman. With only three guys rushing, it allows the offensive line to double team and get the proper blocking angles. Wilfork, Warren and Seymour are all excellent two gappers, but only Richard has that great initial burst for a big d lineman. Vrabel and Adalius (or any other OLB we have) are not good enough in coverage to make up for the extra time an opposing qb has. Time to rethink some of our 3-4 principles in this pass happy league.

I counted 55 yards

Right you are. On 14 carries. Average = 3.93. Just because sometimes you can hide behind statistics, the carries went for 6,3,3,3,0,7,2,1,4,12,7,2,1,4. The 12 yd run by Bennett was a disappointing effort by the DL and LB. Other than that, where are you seeing the DL (or anyone else for that matter) getting dominated on the ground?

Not saying the Pats DL was overly impressive...but I did see them generally being effective. The defense couldn't get off the field which led to a good number of yards surrendered. Given the Pats vanilla defense and the Bucs being content with practicing their 4 yard checkdown passes, this is hardly a cause for concern.

I agree, Richard has played well in the two preseason games. But Wilfork was dominated last night.

Wilfork did that last pre-season also ... it must be some kind of a plan.

As long as Brady and both lines play well and are healthy the Patriots will be contending for a first round bye. I really wouldn't worry about much more else on this team. IMO all the Mayo/Lynch/Jackson/whatever talk really doesn't mean that much.

Last edited:
Yeah, we saw what a great D-Line can do in the game that shall not be mentioned.

Ray Charles checking in, I thought the D Line was dominated. Tampa rushed for 176 yards, pretty much at will. They shoved the front 3 around. I am sure they will bounce back but this isn't the game I would hang my hat on. To be honest I didn't see Warren, Wilfork or Seymour anywhere near the QB and against the run they were pushed backwards.

I did the watch Seymour thing too. I thought he was far from dominant, although had the flashes that gives us all hope. I think if any one of the big 3 were dominant, the TB offense would not have moved at will against the Pats.

I was keyed in on Seymour a lot, but I did see one thing that made me think the old Seymour is back. He tipped a pass at the line of scrimage. When he's in form, and getting good push, and is aware of the play, he creates havoc in the backfield. Doesn't always mean he gets the QB pressure or sack, but that he disrupts whatever the O is trying to do and gets his hands in the passing lanes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes