PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Richard Seymour: ‘I could have helped"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seymour has 35 tackles and 4 sacks this year. That's Mike Wright numbers for you.

In a defensive system in which he has not played since he's been a pro. Let's not forget what he did in his first game with the team on very little practice time. Seymour is also drawing double teams over there as well, only this time he's drawing them from the interior offensive line where double teams are generally the hardest to break through.

On top of that, he has about 4 more sacks than his primary replacement on this team.

In a defensive system in which he has not played since he's been a pro. Let's not forget what he did in his first game with the team on very little practice time. Seymour is also drawing double teams over there as well, only this time he's drawing them from the interior offensive line where double teams are generally the hardest to break through.

On top of that, he has about 4 more sacks than his primary replacement on this team.

No question #93 would help this D. There is no debate on this. Yet 17 pages of threads later.....

Last edited:
No question #93 would help this D. There is no debate on this. Yet 17 pages of threads later.....

That's not what the debate's about, it's whether the trade was a sound one. Most reasonable observers believe it was.

That is simply incorrect. The team would have had an extra body to rotate in, lowering the snap totals. This is simply mathematics here.

This is also incorrect.

I didn't misrepresent your comments in any way. You claimed that you had to go back to 2003 to find those numbers. That reinforces the notion that he was getting it done last year.

And the move was not a no-brainer. It was a bad trade, particularly in combination with everything else that had gone on during the offseason. Also, unless you know something about the CBA that I don't, the Patriots would have been eligible to get compensation for Seymour, even if they didn't pull a sign and trade.

Deus, you are just hopeless. I give up trying to get you to look at this with a more balanced perspective. One last thing: any league-issued comp pick for losing Seymour to free agency would've been far, far less than what we got from Oakland. Signing off this argument.

Last edited:
That's not what the debate's about, it's whether the trade was a sound one. Most reasonable observers believe it was.

I agree. What are people going to say on draft day in 2011 when we have a top 10, probably 5 pick?

Last edited:
I agree. What are people going to say on draft day in 2010 when we have a top 10, probably 5 pick?

a) it's a 2011 pick
b) have you seen the Raiders lately? They're on a roll. Russell was absolutely murdering them, but now that they've benched him they're a legitimately decent team. If you're banking on a top 5 pick in 2011, I think you'll be disappointed. I don't think the pick will even be top 10.

Last edited:
a) it's a 2011 pick
b) have you seen the Raiders lately? They're on a roll. Russell was absolutely murdering them, but now that they've benched him they're a legitimately decent team. If you're banking on a top 5 pick in 2011, I think you'll be disappointed. I don't think the pick will even be top 10.

It might actually be worth more in a trade ... it is risky to keep isn't it.

Might Belichick grab another #2 for this year and a #1 for next year with it?

a) it's a 2011 pick

a. My mistake I meant 2011

b. It may not be top 5, but it definitely wont be any worse than top 10. If you're really playing up Bruce Gradkowski that much then somethings wrong. No way that team wins more than 5 games next year...

I did not understand the Seymore trade, this team has the players to win now and they trade away someone they have won titles with when they have a defense this is suspect. This team would be playing for a bye if Seymore was there imo.

a. My mistake I meant 2011

b. It may not be top 5, but it definitely wont be any worse than top 10. If you're really playing up Bruce Gradkowski that much then somethings wrong. No way that team wins more than 5 games next year...

Not playing up bruce gradkowski- just saying that he's better than Jamarcus russell, who is quite possibly the worst starting QB in NFL history. In the last 3 weeks, the Raiders have beaten the Bengals and the Steelers: they're not great, but they're not awful. Bottom line is that they're going to win at least 5 games this year, and they'll be better next year as long as they re-sign Seymour. They won't be great, but they won't be nearly as bad as you're assuming.

Not playing up bruce gradkowski- just saying that he's better than Jamarcus russell, who is quite possibly the worst starting QB in NFL history. In the last 3 weeks, the Raiders have beaten the Bengals and the Steelers: they're not great, but they're not awful. Bottom line is that they're going to win at least 5 games this year, and they'll be better next year as long as they re-sign Seymour. They won't be great, but they won't be nearly as bad as you're assuming.

About what pick do you think we'll be getting with that pick in 2011?

He and Borges are dead on...on this one. The typical rose colored glasses wearing pats fan will hate this kind of reality......but it is dead on. The fact again that the 30th ranked Miami Doofins torched our defense the other day is extremely worrisome....and ifany of you don't think seymour could have helped get at least SOME pressure on Henne you are missing it. One man doesn"t make a team but a all pro player and a defensive leader will GEL that defensive unit.........Sad but true here in this article......

He and Borges are dead on...on this one. The typical rose colored glasses wearing pats fan will hate this kind of reality......but it is dead on. The fact again that the 30th ranked Miami Doofins torched our defense the other day is extremely worrisome....and ifany of you don't think seymour could have helped get at least SOME pressure on Henne you are missing it. One man doesn"t make a team but a all pro player and a defensive leader will GEL that defensive unit.........Sad but true here in this article......

But the defense was gassed in Indy!! :cool:

About what pick do you think we'll be getting with that pick in 2011?

12-15 would be my guess. hard to really say, but even when they have a JAG at QB, they can compete with a lot of teams. If they manage to get even half-decent production, they could go 9-7. It'll still be a god pick no matter what, but it's more than a little premature to be sasying top 5

12-15 would be my guess. hard to really say, but even when they have a JAG at QB, they can compete with a lot of teams. If they manage to get even half-decent production, they could go 9-7. It'll still be a god pick no matter what, but it's more than a little premature to be sasying top 5

No question it will be a good pick. I didnt say that it would definitely be top 5, I said definitely top 10.

It will be a good pick, a better pick than we would get with our own record thats for sure. In the end I think Pats fans will like the trade when it is all set and done.

No question it will be a good pick. I didnt say that it would definitely be top 5, I said definitely top 10.

It will be a good pick, a better pick than we would get with our own record thats for sure. In the end I think Pats fans will like the trade when it is all set and done.

It had better be. If not, we get hosed by Al Davis for the second time in a row (the first being the Derrick Burgess trade which has not looked to be outstanding so far).

Deus, you are just hopeless. I give up trying to get you to look at this with a more balanced perspective. One last thing: any league-issued comp pick for losing Seymour to free agency would've been far, far less than what we got from Oakland. Signing off this argument.

My perspective is fine. I simply don't agree with those who feel the Seymour trade was a good one for the Patriots. As I noted when it happened, it's a bad deal unless the Patriots win the Super Bowl.

So far, given the way most of the losses have gone, the more "balanced" perspective would be to admit that there's a lot of question as to just how good the trade was, at the very least. Instead, you're singing the "It's all good!" song.

Last edited:
My perspective is fine. I simply don't agree with those who feel the Seymour trade was a good one for the Patriots. As I noted when it happened, it's a bad deal unless the Patriots win the Super Bowl.
So far, given the way most of the losses have gone, the more "balanced" perspective would be to admit that there's a lot of question as to just how good the trade was, at the very least. Instead, you're singing the "It's all good!" song.

Win the Super Bowl when, this year? This trade was made to improve the team in the future, specifically 2011 and beyond. You will not know whether this was a good trade for the Patriots until we see how the player the Patriots select in 2011 works out.

Seymour is just running his mouth because he's stuck in Oakland. When was the last time he really looked like he wanted to play.....he wouldn't have made a difference on this team.

When did we become the Colts? Just not tough football.....I live in NC and people down here are saying the Pats are ripe for the picking this week and many of the talking heads down here are taking the Panthers. Now I know that is simply foolish since Fox is a moron and they have nothing outside of Williams and Stewart but it still sucks to hear!!!!

Anybody that cannot see that all our defensive problems are eminating from the lack of a good defensive end are drinking too much koolaid.
As far as this season goes the trade of Seymour was the biggest mistake.

Nobody saying that Seymour's trade was bad is talking long term, they are talking about this season. You must have a good replacement for the guy you are getting rid of, we didn't and don't have anybody even remotely good enough to play the role he played in this team.

If we improve over the next few years thats a totally different thing but you don't do a trade for the future at the expense of a season.

Last edited:
Anybody that cannot see that all our defensive problems are eminating from the lack of a good defensive end are drinking too much koolaid.
As far as this season goes the trade of Seymour was the biggest mistake.

Nobody saying that Seymour's trade was bad is talking long term, they are talking about this season. You must have a good replacement for the guy you are getting rid of, we didn't and don't have anybody even remotely good enough to play the role he played in this team.

If we improve over the next few years thats a totally different thing but you don't do a trade for the future at the expense of a season.

One player is not going to make the difference in a season. Yes, we are lacking a pass rushing attack. One player does not make a whole teams pass rush.

When the Patriots made this trade I think they thought they had the players that were adequate to replace his production. That hasnt happened. These things happen, sometimes players dont turn out the way a coach thinks they would.

How can you say this season is an "expense"? It isnt over yet. We're in very good position to win the AFC East, and you never know what will happen in the playoffs. Dont jump to conclusions too quickly to say that this season is an expense when it is far from over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes