PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rich Hill: The Patriots have the No. 1 defense in the league before garbage time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Patriots Defense Playing Tremendously, but Garbage Time Skews the Stats

The Patriots are allowing just 19 points per game, currently tied for eighth in the NFL. But with the help of their stellar offense, the Patriots put away the games so early and bury opposing teams so quickly that their non-garbage time defense ranks #1 in the entire league. Think of this way: nearly 50% of the Patriots points allowed have come after they've clinched 99% chance of victory.

Last edited:
While there are still questions surrounding the depth at CB and there is always room to improve but these numbers show that this defense is pretty damn good

It's not "great", but the front 7 is really good and the only real weakness is CB. They really struggle to play man2man at times.

It's not "great", but the front 7 is really good and the only real weakness is CB. They really struggle to play man2man at times.

They will get better (Coleman/Butler) as the year goes on as they get more experienced. Ryan is playing much better than last year so far this year also.

Feel like this is cherry picking, some called Colts, Jets, and Bills garbage time and that would be largely inaccurate. But defense has been good. Corner play isn't quite that bad either. I like Coleman. I wasn't so sure Logan Ryan was even making the team wow was I wrong...

I still think our secondary is going to get exposed by a good QB. Luckily there is a dearth of those around the league but playoffs will be different.
With Peyton playing the way he is, I'm not overly worried about him and we've already seen them handle Ben and Luck so who does that leave that is a viable threat in the AFC. Dalton?? If it is going to be a weakness, I think Aaron Rodgers could torch the Pats secondary, but at the same time Brady would torch theirs. So it's a wash. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a solid CB opposite Butler, but the D has proven they handle most offenses.

With Peyton playing the way he is, I'm not overly worried about him and we've already seen them handle Ben and Luck so who does that leave that is a viable threat in the AFC. Dalton?? If it is going to be a weakness, I think Aaron Rodgers could torch the Pats secondary, but at the same time Brady would torch theirs. So it's a wash. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a solid CB opposite Butler, but the D has proven they handle most offenses.

Exactly. Eli is probably the best QB they will face before the playoffs. Then they have to worry about Dalton & Big Ben in AFC playoffs. I'll take my chances.

And then if they are lucky likely Palmer or Rodgers in SB. Even Rodgers without Jordy has looked merely Pro Bowl vs. MVP this season.

The way I am seeing it, our line is basically propping up our secondary. Tannehill was finding all his guys when he had the protection. I am afraid there is going to come a time when our line is going to get handled, later in the season due to fatigue or injury or whatever. Then the secondary will have to truly go mano-a-mano and I am not sure they are up to the task.

The way I am seeing it, our line is basically propping up our secondary. Tannehill was finding all his guys when he had the protection. I am afraid there is going to come a time when our line is going to get handled, later in the season due to fatigue or injury or whatever. Then the secondary will have to truly go mano-a-mano and I am not sure they are up to the task.
I don't know. I mean look yeah no one CB is playing near an All Pro level, but they are hardly liabilities. People seem to forget some of those bad secondaries of years past with just complete breakdowns and dudes running wide open (kind of like what we do to teams on a weekly basis on offense).

I mean it was 1-2 plays a game with a huge chunk play or TD and a safety and CB would be talking to each other trying to figure out what happened. I'm not seeing any of that this year. Yeah, some corners are getting beat when 1-to-1 but it will happen to every DB not named Revis (and even Jordy Nelson will tell you can happens to him, too).

I don't know. I mean look yeah no one CB is playing near an All Pro level, but they are hardly liabilities. People seem to forget some of those bad secondaries of years past with just complete breakdowns and dudes running wide open (kind of like what we do to teams on a weekly basis on offense).

I mean it was 1-2 plays a game with a huge chunk play or TD and a safety and CB would be talking to each other trying to figure out what happened. I'm not seeing any of that this year. Yeah, some corners are getting beat when 1-to-1 but it will happen to every DB not named Revis (and even Jordy Nelson will tell you can happens to him, too).

It is certainly far better than the Wheatley wilhite days but I would have a lot more confidence if there is at least one dependable guy in each position group so that help can be shifted to the weaker guy if necessary. We have dependable guys at every position, except cornerbacks which makes us susceptible to big flukey plays.

I see your point, but I don't know who that will be on paper. History tells me that the Pats will most likely have one or two "down" games and a mediocre QB like either Eli and/or Fitzpatrick (when we play them again) may have a good day. I'm also willing to give Peyton some credit because he will be at home and he has to still have something left in the tank with the team around him. The possibility is there, but I believe the defense is capable of rising for anyone so long as the offense can maintain their level of play.

The D-line last night was fantastic and that was without Sheard who in my opinion has been the best pass rusher for us this year.

Feel like this is cherry picking, some called Colts, Jets, and Bills garbage time and that would be largely inaccurate

Colts TD at the end was the definition of garbage time. Pats were up by 13 and the colts offense had done absolutely nothing in the second half up until that drive.. Had about 80 yards in 7 drives with 56 of them coming on 1 drive before they got that last TD when the Pats were dropping 8 back and rushing 3.

Didn't we discuss this before the season started? What would be the best way to compensate the loss of Revis and Browner. Beef up the front 7 to put pressure the opposing QB into mistakes and allow the offense to put points on the board. That's what we are seeing.

Depth is needed at CB and if you can get a decent CB that would fit under the cap, great but if this defense is healthy going into the playoffs I will like our chances.

We don't need no stinking CBs we have safeties that can do everything, including sacks.

Didn't we discuss this before the season started? What would be the best way to compensate the loss of Revis and Browner. Beef up the front 7 to put pressure the opposing QB into mistakes and allow the offense to put points on the board. That's what we are seeing.

But it's not. This is not a defense that is creating mistakes, or at least capitalizing on them, at even an above-average rate. Patriots have forced 10 takeaways (8 int, 2 fum) which is good for T13th in the league, and is midway between the most (19) and least (3), and there are teams that have only played 6 games to this point.

There have been lots of times when QBs have held the ball for more than three seconds looking for receivers, and/or have scrambled and broken the pocket. That happens more often than a one-two-sack count. The coverage is holding up and I think most of that is Collins and Chung and whoever is playing FS (McCourty, Harmon). The middle of the field has been mostly closed to TEs whereas in the pre-2014 past teams ate the Pats up there.

This IS a defense that is forcing QBs to make an inordinate number of sideline throws, the most difficult throw, and that's where most of the Pats INTs are coming from. Harmon is making hay on offline deep sideline throws, and Ryan is very effective identifying shorter sideline routes and stepping in front of them.

Interesting read. However other good Ds allow garbage points too. The Patriots have seen more garbage time than maybe anyone though.

The front seven, CB1, and FS positions are stacked. If this team could pull a trade for a quality veteran CB (like a Sean Smith) and stay healthy, they're absolutely primed to repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back