PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RFA Emmanuel Sanders visits Pats 3/16; signs offer sheet 4/10, sheet matched 4/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and they can use Colon's savings to sign their draft picks....and they will still have a mediocre roster with no cap space left.

LOL this may be true. They certainly will need to stay healthy and have several younger veterans take a step forward. But we've reloaded on the fly before with in-house talent. (Plus it's April and hope springs eternal :)

That all said I'm merely commenting on the ability of Pitt to sign Sanders.

Wouldn't surprise me at all, if Pittsburgh announces they are not matching the offer....I don't even think it will take them 5 days to reach that conclusion.

Boldin, for a 6th
Sanders, for a 3rd

Hmm...that was the topic of jokes in one steeler forum.
Ed Bouchette believes the steelers front office not only should not match, but "send the patriots a thank you bouquet" for alleviating some cap, and handing them a 3rd round pick.

If the Steelers land Cordarelle Patterson, or Tavon Austin to replace Sanders they're already a better team at wr...now throw in the fact they would have an additional 3rd rounder to go with that.

Looks like a win, for Pitt.

An anonymous AFC executive expects the Patriots to sign restricted free agent Emmanuel Sanders to a long-term contract if the Steelers to decline to match their one-year, $2.5 million offer sheet.

Per Yahoo Sports via Rotoworld

Wouldn't surprise me at all, if Pittsburgh announces they are not matching the offer....I don't even think it will take them 5 days to reach that conclusion.

Boldin, for a 6th
Sanders, for a 3rd

Hmm...that was the topic of jokes in one steeler forum.
Ed Bouchette believes the steelers front office not only should not match, but "send the patriots a thank you bouquet" for alleviating some cap, and handing them a 3rd round pick.

If the Steelers land Cordarelle Patterson, or Tavon Austin to replace Sanders they're already a better team at wr...now throw in the fact they would have an additional 3rd rounder to go with that.

Looks like a win, for Pitt.

That's funny, I hadn't thought of that. But really it's (Boldin + 7.5mill cap figure + 6th round) vs (Sanders + 2.5mill cap figure + 3rd rd).

It's hard to even evaluate draft pick compensation for a player anymore, as the contract itself (both duration and dollars) is arguably equally or more important. We let go of Santonio Holmes at the height of his career (yeah he's not great now, but it was different right after 2009!) for a 5th rounder...but he had only a year left on his contract.

That's funny, I hadn't thought of that. But really it's (Boldin + 7.5mill cap figure + 6th round) vs (Sanders + 2.5mill cap figure + 3rd rd).

It's hard to even evaluate draft pick compensation for a player anymore, as the contract itself (both duration and dollars) is arguably equally or more important. We let go of Santonio Holmes at the height of his career (yeah he's not great now, but it was different right after 2009!) for a 5th rounder...but he had only a year left on his contract.

Well in all fairness the only reason you guys only got a 5th, for Holmes was because of his ridiculous off the field behavior.

An anonymous AFC executive expects the Patriots to sign restricted free agent Emmanuel Sanders to a long-term contract if the Steelers to decline to match their one-year, $2.5 million offer sheet.

I'd hope that this would be the case, as it's the only way that this move makes sense. Per the CBA, though, he wouldn't be able to sign that extension for one year, right?

It is probable that that BB and co. liked Sanders coming out of SMU and they have certainly seen plenty of tape on him as a pro. I think that BB's quote about how difficult it is to predict how college WRs will adapt to the NFL is key hear. This may be particularly true for the Patriots' complicated offense. This move does not preclude them from also taking a high upside WR (with high bust potential) in the draft this year but they likely see Sanders as more of a sure thing, someone who fits with what they do on offense and who can produce on day 1...important when their stud QB's window may close over the next 2-3 years. Not many newly drafted WRs make an impact (please don't list the few that have....it is not common).

I think that the Steelers would be wise to pass and rebuild their WR CORPS through the draft....no team does this better. This will likely be a rebuilding year for them, they should save as much cap space as they can in '14 and '15.

I see it as a win-win situation for the Pats and Steelers, if the Steelers decide not to match.

I'd hope that this would be the case, as it's the only way that this move makes sense. Per the CBA, though, he wouldn't be able to sign that extension for one year, right?

That's what I've been asking but nobody seems to know. The quote from the anon NFL exec would indicate otherwise (ie. that it is sneaky but legal).

I would love that if the average cap hit is similar to that #

Well in all fairness the only reason you guys only got a 5th, for Holmes was because of his ridiculous off the field behavior.

I think that was a significant piece of it. Tweeting "TIME TO WAKE IN BAKE!" is rarely helpful to negotiations with prospective employers ;) (Someday, someone will do a scientific study on NFL WRs and how their brains are wired to make them all bat$hit crazy)

But Pittsburgh also had no leverage in negotiating a decent trade because he was in his final year of his contract. Teams knew it was his last year in Pittsburgh, and Pitt could either take a lower offer, or see him walk for nothing.

I think that was a significant piece of it. Tweeting "TIME TO WAKE IN BAKE!" is rarely helpful to negotiations with prospective employers ;) (Someday, someone will do a scientific study on NFL WRs and how their brains are wired to make them all bat$hit crazy)

But Pittsburgh also had no leverage in negotiating a decent trade because he was in his final year of his contract. Teams knew it was his last year in Pittsburgh, and Pitt could either take a lower offer, or see him walk for nothing.

The major reasons why the Steelers dumped Holmes for just a 5th:

Holmes, the MVP of Super Bowl XLIII, is facing a four-game suspension for his actions in regards to the league's substance abuse policy, the league announced Monday. The Steelers have grown troubled with some of Holmes' off-field issues and had no intention of giving their star wide receiver an extension.
Jets' risk-reward offseason
The Jets' trade for Santonio Holmes is another aggressive move by the team, which believes Rex Ryan can harness a team of misfits, Vic Carucci writes. More ...

A woman filed a lawsuit last month claiming Holmes threw a glass at her in an Orlando nightclub, cutting her above the eye. The woman changed her mind, and the case was reopened by the Orlando police. The woman's lawyer told the Associated Press that a witness has stepped forward taking responsibility for the thrown glass. A police investigation is ongoing.

Steelers trade Holmes to Jets for fifth-round draft pick - NFL.com

Coming on the heels of the Roethlisberger bathroom incident, Holmes had no shot of sticking around.

I don't see what the Rooney's have against fresh cookies in the morning.;)

That's what I've been asking but nobody seems to know. The quote from the anon NFL exec would indicate otherwise (ie. that it is sneaky but legal).

IIRC you can extend at any time.

I heard people saying it's a sneaky move, while the system is set up for that those people are full of **** in this case. $2.5M is not exactly going to kill anyone. The sensible opinion I've seen expressed appears to be that if the Steelers let Sanders walk it won't be for financial reasons.

As long as the deal doesn't lower the $2.5 million salary this year they can restructure, extend or whatever phrase you want to use.

Or at least that is what I have read.

When they brought Sanders in for his visit, did they give him a physical?

He had to have one at some point by the Pats medical staff before they presented an offer sheet, right?

I don't recall hearing anything in regards to it.

I heard people saying it's a sneaky move, while the system is set up for that those people are full of **** in this case. $2.5M is not exactly going to kill anyone. The sensible opinion I've seen expressed appears to be that if the Steelers let Sanders walk it won't be for financial reasons.

Sneaky was the wrong word but it is true that this is the first time that a RFA has been signed to a 1 year deal. That wasn't a mistake on BB's part and I'm sure that it rubs a lot of people the wrong way, like the Ballard waiver claim (also legal but rarely done). Even if the $$ value doesn't dissuade Pitt, the chance that they will lose him next year as an UFA may (versus having a 3rd rd pick under their control for relatively short money for 4 years).

As a Pats' fan, I love it. Screw the other teams if they don't like it. Just put the best team possible on the field.

Just saw this news. This is great! Very happy to have been wrong. I thought this ship had passed. Hope we get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes