PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Revenge of the Hoodie: BB's Top Changes for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Revenge of the Hoodie: BB 's Top Changes for 2010

Sadly, if we had been willing to go to a 1 gap 3-4 we could have probably kept Dom Capers by promoting him to DC this past year.

Alabama had the dominant defense in college football this year running essential our 2 gap scheme. Is it just the lack of the right personnel that has made our defense so much less effective than previously, or has the evolution of the NFL with the emphasis on the passing game and ace sharpshooters like Manning, Brady, Brees and Rivers made the concepts of gap control and read-and-react obsolete today? Or both?

Lack of personnel would be my answer. The read and react is still a very good defense if you have the people for it. What we've been missing are thumper linebackers like Bruschi, Johnson, and Vrabel. Bruschi has never been the same after the stroke, unfortunately. He was able to get by for the last few years, despite aging rapidly, due to his excellent technique (his technique was second to none) and his smarts. They more than made up for his athletic decline. With Vrabel, and Colvin to a lesser extent, we have since been unable to find a guy who can reliably set the edge while rushing the passer at the same time on the outside. Colvin would still be an asset if not for the injury. AD (when playing on the outside) has been able to do both, though not nearly as consistently as Vrabel and Colvin were able to do it.

Bottom line is that, after Johnson left we still have never been able to replace him with anybody nearly as effective as he was (though Seau is about as close as it gets, despite his age). Bruschi, after the stroke, was never the same athletically, Vrabel aged quickly due to both... well... age combined with injuries, and Colvin's injuries caught up with him. For the future, Mayo is an extremely bright spot at the ILB position. Guyton stands to be upgraded, and probably will be this season. TBC is essentially a third down guy who was forced into an every down role. Look for his position to be upgraded, hopefully by someone who can contain the run well by setting the edge with the ability to rush the passer and be reliable in coverage. AD is probably gone as well this offseason so we'll need someone to replace him as well.

Why do some of us keep saying Mayo was playing hurt or was rushed back too soon?
Do we have evidence of that? As a matter of fact, who doesn't play hurt? He didn't have a great year and I hope 2010 is a better year for him.

I still don't see how we can get two OLBs and an ILB that can make an impact in 2010. I actually think our WR's are fine if Brady can go back to 2007 form. I think Tate would be a great addition too. 07 Brady would have taken us to the SB. If Brady doesn't get better then we are stuck in 2010 too.

Last edited:
Why do some of us keep saying Mayo was playing hurt or was rushed back too soon?
Do we have evidence of that? As a matter of fact, who doesn't play hurt? He didn't have a great year and I hope 2010 is a better year for him.

I still don't see how we can get two OLBs and an ILB that can make an impact in 2010. I actually think our WR's are fine if Brady can go back to 2007 form. I think Tate would be a great addition too. 07 Brady would have taken us to the SB. If Brady doesn't get better then we are stuck in 2010 too.

The evidence is in his speed running across the field.

He used to be much much faster, and it was obvious.

I've spent a decent amount of time trying to figure out the answer. I don't believe it's as much x's and o's as it is heart, and a tight knit locker room. I really hope people saying on here kraft is cutting costs and bring frugal is a farce. Because to stay dominant in the ever changing NFL is spending money, getting the right people on and off the field. Im a strong believer in character. I'd rather lose with stand up guys than win with selfish jerks and thugs. Pioli used to say guys that love the game of football, football is important to them. that's what we need to have every player on that team care more about preparing for the next game, instead of their megabucks contract the following season. 53 guys all locked in to one goal the next game. I want the gram sweeped of malcontents no matter how talented they are. I don't ever want the patriots to lose on lack of effort. We need to identify these players. thru the draft and free agency, trades. a few names i like Richard Marshall, Thomas Howard, karlos dansby, Kirk Morrison, julius peppers, Doug free, Miles austin who we could never pry away from jones. That kid is a competitor, mike bush, lendale white. Now we know the type of player we want now we have to find what positions need upgraded. secondary is still a concern. Is Bodden going to re sign? Wide receiver, welker is out, what do we have in edelman? is Tate a player? I have no questions about moss, so how do we solve one or 2 wr spots? Branch? Boldin? A rookie? Then you have tight end, deff a concern I'd fell better with Watson back on board but I don't see that happening. so I look at the draft and maybe a second tier tight end brought in via trade. offensive line, I think this is the year we should trade matt light, he still has a second or third round trade value, to a team like st Louis, Kansas city, green bay, I think the writing is on the wall with the kazur extension and drafting vollmer, they will not pay matt light like a top 10 tackle. as far as guard this is where I would bring in Doug free, then draft a guard in the 4th or 5th round to develop. Neal will probally retire. running back, I miss having a traditional smash you in the mouth run game, maroney shows flashes but bb will not allow his backs to put the ball on the ground this can be fixed but I think we will see a little more of bad news bill, would love to see him traded to the skins for Rocky Mcintosh a linebacker bb Was believe to covet buy just missed out, shanny could do wonders for maroney. Win Win. so the question begs do we need a top running back to win? My answer is no, we just need a respectable ground game. Not a home run hitter. it be great to find one in the middle rounds of the draft. Well there are some of my thoughts please let me know if you think if a 10th of that has a chance to happen.

Christopher Patriot

I think next year is going to be even worse. Honestly, this defense is poor because of the linebacker play. Mayo is way overrated, as is the rest of the linebacking group.

This defense needs some anger and fight. Without Rodney and Brushci, it has not of it.

I don't agree with your assessment of Mayo. He was injured this past year.
I do agree that next year is going to be worse than this year.

I expect the Patriots to franchise an angry Wilfork and tender offers to RFAsGostkowski,Mankins,and Woods. They may re-sign Faulk but will lose
Banta-Cain, Bodden, Burgess, Green, Hanson, and Watson. Neal may
retire.

They will sign half a dozen low tier free agents to 1 year contracts at near
minimum salary. Hopefully, they will hold on to their draft picks and not
trade them into 2011 to save money on rookie salaries.

Last edited:
The evidence is in his speed running across the field.

He used to be much much faster, and it was obvious.

Maybe he put on some pounds?

If Mayos lack of speed, playmaking ability was brought on by weight gain, the. He needs to shed that with the quickness. I have to agree with the crowd that said his injury was more of a factor than we realized. On a side note with pees being replaced do you think the door is still open for Adalius to commit to the program? If he is used properly? What I mean by proper is mor aggresive attack mode.

If Mayos lack of speed, playmaking ability was brought on by weight gain, the. He needs to shed that with the quickness. I have to agree with the crowd that said his injury was more of a factor than we realized. On a side note with pees being replaced do you think the door is still open for Adalius to commit to the program? If he is used properly? What I mean by proper is mor aggresive attack mode.

Ok. I know Mayo has speed but when was he a playmaker?

Ok. I know Mayo has speed but when was he a playmaker?

23 tackles, 17 solo, vs. the Jets as a rookie.

The 23 tackles were the most by a Patriot since 1994.

That is making plays!

But of course thay lost in OT, and he remarked "I was pretty disappointed. I really couldn't celebrate [the individual accomplishments]."

I think the IQ here just took a sudden dip.

If we get rid of Ben Watson I am going to be pissed. He can block and get open better than any available TE this upcoming offseason.

This guy with "metallic" hands, didn't drop too many balls this year. In fact, I'd say his hands looked as good as any of our WR's (excluding Welker). He did drop a ball vs. the Ravens, but who didn't?

Shonn Greene? Really? The kid is slow.

He got a lot of yards against Cincy, and I know why. Because the Jets OL is one of the best in the league. They are really good. But Greene is slow. He's not a premier back. Put Maroney behind that line and he would do better.

Maroney's faster than Shonn Greene? Tell me something I DON'T know. The reason that Shonn Greene was effective is not just his OL, the guy is a power RB, pads low, move the pile guy. Maroney is not a straight ahead, plow the field for yards runner and never will be. He would never enjoy the same success as Shonn Greene because he lacks 1) power 2) vision.

The Pats OL does need improvement, particularly the interior. Neal's best days are beind him. And I'm not convinced if Koppen is getting overpowered too often to be worth keeping.

PS The Pats haven't had a true power RB since Corey Dillon and before him Antowain Smith. The Pats also won championships the years those guys were on the team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft