PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Retired Numbers- Your list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate retired numbers. Unretire them all and put their names in large, bold print inside Gillette, like the Cowboys do.

I'm sick of seeing WRs with numbers in the 10s.

When I think about whose number I'd want to retire, the list in my mind brings up so many members of the dynasty (Brady, Brown, Bruschi, McGinest, Vrabel, Seymour, Vinateri, etc) who obviously can't all have their numbers retired that I think the most appropriate thing to do when the dynasty years pass us by (sadly, it'll happen eventually) is to somehow commemorate the team aspect of the dynasty in addition to individual players. I know it would be impossible to do something like this given that each year there's a 53 man roster, a practice squad, shadow roster, players who are injured and go on IR, etc over however long the dynasty era goes, but I'd love to see some way that role players and great team guys like Faulk, Izzo, Light, etc could be commemorated so that when we look back we can all remember that this dynasty wasn't built around superstars, but as a team in the truest sense of the word.

That was probably way too nostalgic and such for a team most of which are still playing their way into history, but I just think that they should be remembered in such a way that we can show future generations what has been the hallmark of this organization in the BB years: playing together as a team in an era of me-first superstars.

Last edited:
I'm against retiring numbers. Rosters are too big.

#12: Tom Ramsey deserves his number retired.

Seriously, right now I'd go with #12 as a lock, then would seriously consider #80 and #54, but any others would be only casually considered at this point. Retiring a number should be reserved for the best of the best and as much as I love several of the Pats players both past and present, I'm not sure they met the high bar retirement of their jerseys should meet.

Regards,
Chris

I'm going to go with just #12 as well.
Those other players are all very good players and they will deservedly go in the Pats hall of fame, but numbers are something that you run out of, especially because of the large roster size you have in football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News