PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reports say Givens has re-signed with Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please be true, please be true, please be true!

The only problem then becomes that the Pats would need to redo Branch's contract, and probably asap!

It's gona be a GREAT day! :)

I wonder what changed his mind?
I mean he apparently didn't even want to see what the Teaxans
offer would be. I'll be interested to hear David's comments.

Patti37 said:
Fingers are crossed until this news is confirmed.

Same here! Would like to have DG signify my 87 instead of "Agent" like I thought I was going to have to do!!!! :rolleyes:

I can't find anything on the Pats site or blogs or papers...nothing on NFL Network. Sorry, could this be another hoax?

Man, what a change of heart from "We don't need Givens. Let him Go elsewhere. A #2 is easy to replace."

Why would the Pats want a player of limited ability back?? ;)

Miguel said:
Why would the Pats want a player of limited ability back?? ;)

Because now that he's back its no longer limited !!

Wahoo, no we start every playoff game with one TD!

Where is the confirmation?

IF this report is true, why no confirmation this morning? This is too big a story to not have any leaks. I am VERY nervous and skeptical at this point.

fluoropolymer said:
IF this report is true, why no confirmation this morning? This is too big a story to not have any leaks. I am VERY nervous and skeptical at this point.

Unfortunately, me too. By this time, Curran or Reiss would have been all over this. If nothing has come out of either of these guys yet, I am starting to doubt it is true. Still crossing fingers though!

Confirmation....Confirmation....Don't forget the Ted Washington rumor last year.......

From Felger this morning:
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=130116
"On the other hand, there was a school of thought that the Pats had more than enough cap space (nearly $17 million) to match any offer for their Super Bowl hero and were considering doing so. Team vice chairman Jonathan Kraft, in an interview with ESPN Radio-Boston last week, admitted the Pats will have the opportunity to deal with Vinatieri once the offers are on the table.

“Bill (Belichick) and Scott (Pioli) will have the opportunity to determine if the (free agent offer) is the right value,†Kraft said. “It’s their call.â€

Meanwhile, the Pats kept in close contact with the agent for David Givens yesterday, signaling the fact they were poised to give their free agent receiver a competitive offer.

Givens met with the Dolphins in the afternoon and was scheduled to be in Houston today.

The Pats were thought to be non-players for Givens, as they had no conversations with him for over a month after the playoffs, but given the paucity of quality free agent receivers and the amount of room they have under the cap, they have apparently decided to throw their hat in the ring. "

Two nice peices of info, one what we have all thought all along, the Pats and Adam have an agreement about matching his best FA offer, and two, that the Pats had contacted Givens, which would explain the sudden signing.

sarge said:
Unfortunately, me too. By this time, Curran or Reiss would have been all over this. If nothing has come out of either of these guys yet, I am starting to doubt it is true. Still crossing fingers though!

It may be he cancelled to fly back last night, and is coming in this morning to look at the contract and sign it. Then the official word will come this morning or afternoon.

Great, great news. I, for one, want him back. Seems I'm in the minority though after a couple threads I saw yesterday.

drew4008 said:
Great, great news. I, for one, want him back. Seems I'm in the minority though after a couple threads I saw yesterday.

You're not alone. Givens is a special player who elevates both Brady's and Branch's play.

John McClain is a pretty credible source. He has been covering the NFL for over 30 years, and is one of the top pro football writers working for a newspaper in the country. He is very well connected.

He has more detail in his news and notes section (a good read each Sunday), where he says Givens cancelled his visit with Texas:

"The Texans were excited about the possibility of signing New England receiver David Givens, who elected to stay with the Patriots.

As a native of Humble, Givens would have been coming home, but after visiting Miami on Saturday and planning coming to Houston to meet with the Texans today, he canceled the visit and agreed to re-sign with New England."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/mcclain/3717785.html

I was resigned to the fact that the Pats were going to lose Givens now I'm glad that he has re-signed!

Why would the Pats own website cite a Houston paper as its source? Why not Givens or BB or Pioli, or Kraft? I'm waiting until its in the paper or at least on either of the two local papers' website.

WEEI just confirmed (20/20 report) the report is fake and the agent never said that. David is still scheduled for to meet with the Texans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft