PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report (Unconfirmed) - Patriots sign Brandon Browner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to be all Debbie Downer, but this seems like the John Abraham situation from last year all over again. I'm skeptical that Browner is coming here given the amount of time that's passed and the fact that he's actually flying out to DC.

And really, Rapoport should realize that he has as much credibility now as Erika Leigh. He's supposed to be a paid professional. <rant> it's not just sports media either; reporting during the marathon bombings last year was just as unprofessional, CNN is a complete joke compared to what it was 15-20 years ago. Very frustrating. Sigh. </end rant, get off my lawn comment>

I hate to be all Debbie Downer, but this seems like the John Abraham situation from last year all over again. I'm skeptical that Browner is coming here given the amount of time that's passed and the fact that he's actually flying out to DC.

I understand your point, but I think the big difference - and the likely sticking point - is Browner's suspension, and how it factors into his contract. Adam Schefter essentially said as much last night. It's clear that the Pats have serious interest in Browner, and that Browner likes the idea of being with the Pats. But it's also clear that there is a "sticking point". How much that will be a sticking point with other teams remains to be seen. It's a bit different than the normal situation.

The fact that we haven't heard anything hopefully means they are still in negotiations with browner.

or it means the shiiiiiet isn't panning out.

tony-natasha-are-we-there-yet-o.gif

If there was any doubt now it's just confirmed that Rapoport was so desperate to finally outdo Schefter he reported a rumor as official.

Pats have maybe a 1 in 4 chance of getting Browner, still might come but this was classic false reporting.

The fact that he works for NFL Network & NFL.com and they didn't report his breaking news shows you he knows he made a mistake but doesn't want to admit it due to public humiliation these insiders have such egos.

It's pathetic how badly they crave the retweets, always got to be first, the fact he still has it on his twitter page and has refused to backtrack and just acted like nothing has happened is pretty poor, he could of just admitted his mistake.

Here is/was raps report on it

“Here’s what I know: Last night Brandon Browner told people very close to him that he had agreed to take the Patriots’ offer,” Rapoport explained. “At that point he was in New England, and my understanding is he is still in New England right now [shortly after noon]. He did have some visits scheduled, according to what his agent Peter Schaffer told Albert Breer in between periods of his men’s hockey league game in Denver. … I was told early this morning that the Redskins visit was then canceled, because they knew he was going to do a deal with New England. And then his agent has been saying the plan is still to go to the Redskins, and now the visit may be back on, after they initially canceled this morning.”

Added Rapoport on the likelihood of the deal getting finalized: “He agreed to a deal, according to people close to him last night. So, I would say the chances are pretty good, regardless of where he visits.”

Not sure why these mediots are spending so much time discussing this free agent. There are tons of other guys they can be talking about.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 10m

Brandon Browner's visit to the Redskins was never canceled. It was postponed. It's happening today. Pats, Saints, Raiders in mix too.

I understand your point, but I think the big difference - and the likely sticking point - is Browner's suspension, and how it factors into his contract. Adam Schefter essentially said as much last night. It's clear that the Pats have serious interest in Browner, and that Browner likes the idea of being with the Pats. But it's also clear that there is a "sticking point". How much that will be a sticking point with other teams remains to be seen. It's a bit different than the normal situation.

And that's all fair, but the report was that "Patriots agree to terms with Brandon Browner." It's Rapoport's job to do the proper research to ensure it's "agree to terms" versus "agree in principle" versus "heavy favorites". That's the frustration on my end.

Definitely agree that it's an unusual situation, and totally understand your logic as to why he's going to Washington, but that doesn't sound like the actions of someone who has agreed to terms or is definitely going to the Patriots. He wouldn't be going to Washington at all if there wasn't some sort of sticking point.

At the risk of being a hypocrite on the "paid professional" thing, time for me to get back to work! :)

rap is sticking to his guns.....no backpedaling, just clarifying

as off as he has been in the past, i think he's dead on with this one

browner told people close to him he's going to NE.....his agent freaked out......he's obviously not the best agent in the world

i still think he ends up in NE

for once i think rap is more or less dead on......he jumped the gun a little, but his info was/is solid.....

Here is/was raps report on it

So sounds like Browner wanted us, but his agent wanted to give Washington a chance to one-up our deal. Washington must be interested otherwise they would have blown off this supposed re-scheduled meeting.

How in the HELL are the Saints in the mix? Aren't they maxed out cap-wise or did I miss something?

How in the HELL are the Saints in the mix? Aren't they maxed out cap-wise or did I miss something?

They dismantled their offense to get under the cap.

Browner ain't going to cost much especially in year one since he is going to want most of his money put into a signing bonus and year two because he is only going to see eight game checks next year and eight go directly to the league.

They have about 2.8 million in cap space. They might start jettisoning one or two players.

saints are in the mix because the agent NEEDS more teams in the mix

the patriots must be holding a hard-ish line with the suspension and or personal conduct clauses.....and that has the agent a little worried

my guess is the money wasn't bad.....browner wants to be here, he agreed, started telling friends.....agent doesn't like some of the legalese, trying to keep "other teams" in the mix to try and sway the patriots

odd that the redskins and their fans are really quiet on this.....

They have about 2.8 million in cap space. They might start jettisoning one or two players.

They'd have to jettison players to afford rookie contracts, let alone Browner.

If this falls through I am seriously going to leave a flaming bag of poo on Browner's agent's doorstep.

Richard Sherman ‏@RSherman_25 · 16h
Congrats to @bbrowner27 my brother so excited for you!!!

I am guessing he did have a deal in place but maybe there was a few lil things in that contract that protected the pats that he and his agent did not like, just my guess

I think we should stop commenting on this until it's official. I have had it with almost 24 hours of yes he did sign, no he didn't sign.

rap is sticking to his guns.....no backpedaling, just clarifying

as off as he has been in the past, i think he's dead on with this one

browner told people close to him he's going to NE.....his agent freaked out......he's obviously not the best agent in the world

i still think he ends up in NE

for once i think rap is more or less dead on......he jumped the gun a little, but his info was/is solid.....

Are you saying we signed him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe