PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Tom Brady signs 3-year extension with Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it means that on the last day RFA signing period ends usually mid-April. It can be a UFA,RFA and a new deal by anyone not just RFA's. Just that the salary becomes locked in at the end of RFA signing period.

Right now the tender will be 19.33 million. So if one of the Top 5 (like Brady was) restructure it will drop in tender. Or if someone like Aaron Rodgers gets a new deal it could go up if he goes into top 5.

As do stand corrected and will change my post accordingly. I should have said it will only change if a Free Agent signs a new contract that puts them into the top 5. It will not go down.

Solid move by Brady. I'm sure your wife's billion dollar fortune never hurts the calculus :)

They've got enough money between them to burn it in the fireplace instead of bothering to buy logs. For Brady, his pay must be more of a symbolic thing than actually finding a use for it.

I'm just stating what Schefter stated. That the $27 mil in new money is guaranteed.

I guess it needs clarification.......the 27M in new guarantees could mean his salaries for the nex 3 years.....plus the bonus

sounds like the semantics need to be ironed out

if the entire thing is guaranteed, then it makes no sense at all.......guaranteeing 29M for years 39 and 40?

I guess I'll believe it when I see it, but Ilike the 1st 3 years guaranteed.....all 5 years guaranteed really screws this team if he can't go to the end

You are making the mistake that so many people make. That the numbers listed are SALARY. They aren't. They are the salary CAP numbers. There is a difference.

How am I trolling dude, I'm asking a legit question in complete seriousness. I'm happy about the extension too, I think its very admirable that Brady is taking less salary to strengthen the team but I don't understand why he or other players in his position don't take it to the extreme when the only thing they have left to play for is superbowls.

I think it has to do with a number of things. First other people rely on Brady's contract for income other than just him and the costs associated with Brady playing football from trainers, travel, etc. Second he is a great player and certainly wants to be compensated as one. Third Brady has 3 kids that will someday likely have kids, I'm sure he wants to provide on a larger scale. I can go on and on but all in all compensation is usually the way most justify their value and self esteem in life I think this deal allows for all parties to benefit and Brady is very humble to agree to it.

To the ***h&*%^s who gave this thread anything less than a 5 star

F U

You are making the mistake that so many people make. That the numbers listed are SALARY. They aren't. They are the salary CAP numbers. There is a difference.

that's not what I meant....my point is more like if the new money is guaranteed, then the next 2 years are not?

the logical question I have is why on earth would the pats lock themselves in that way until he is 40? what if he can't go after the next 3 years? 14M, then 15M of dead money?that could damage the team for several years to come......

I guess it needs clarification.......the 27M in new guarantees could mean his salaries for the nex 3 years.....plus the bonus

sounds like the semantics need to be ironed out

No. Just your understanding that there is a difference between salary and salary cap.

The $27Million is $27 million in NEW money. You add that to the $33 million he was supposed to receive this year and next between salary, roster bonus, workout bonus, etc, and you get $60 million. By guaranteeing the entire amount, the Pats can spread the amount out over the entire 5 years. And, in doing so, they are able to free up $8 million in CAP space this year and $7 Million in cap space next year and are able to put it in the final 3 years of the deal. That is HUGE savings..

But in 16 and 17 his salaries are 8.0 in 16 and 9.0 in 17.

that's not what I meant....my point is more like if the new money is guaranteed, then the next 2 years are not?

the logical question I have is why on earth would the pats lock themselves in that way until he is 40? what if he can't go after the next 3 years? 14M, then 15M of dead money?that could damage the team for several years to come......

Because they are expecting a modest bump in the salary cap in 2015 that should more than cover the issue if there is one.

Expiration Date February 2018

I'm not convinced he's done at 40.

I think Brady is committed to this franchise and him moving into the same neighborhood as the Krafts makes me believe he is looking at front office and ownership in New England. For that reason I do think he will hang it up at 40 to give the team exact date to plan around so that everything possible can be done to maintain the winning ways.

Re: Expiration Date February 2018

The Brady replacement is probably a junior or senior in highschool.

Expiration Date February 2018

The Brady replacement is probably a junior or senior in highschool.

No I think a freshman or sophomore in college I think they'd like to have 2-3 years behind Brady.

Because they are expecting a modest bump in the salary cap in 2015 that should more than cover the issue if there is one.

yeah...I don't see there being the kind of increase that will make 14M of dead money in 2016 and 15M of dead money in 2017 in any way palatable......I'm reserving judgement as I don't believe all of the details are correct....I could be wrong, but I hope not

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST